This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

andyralph

Immersion elements
« on: January 09, 2021, 12:13:49 am »
Hi all looking at fitting one do they need to be fitted at the bottom of my tank as it’s going to b difficult I can probably get half way and how do u set temp do they come with thermostats any ideas please thanks andy

High-Tower

Re: Immersion elements
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2021, 07:53:39 am »
Ideally need to be at the bottom, but will still work ok 1/2 way down, obviously needs to be in the water when it’s switched on.
They have an internal thermostat that can be adjusted, think the maximum on most is 65, so depending on your tank size you’ll probably want it on full anyway.

Here’s a link to the 2kw heater I’ve been using for a while now. It’s what you’ll want if you aren’t going to upgrade your supply to handle a 3kw, or it’ll melt standard wiring and burn your house down if you are unlucky.
https://www.midlandchandlers.co.uk/products/immersion-heater-2kw-240v-hc-042

Dry Clean

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2021, 09:41:40 am »
Your cold water will rise as it heats and then drop again as it cools/hotter water replaces it,  so for an even distribution of heat the middle of the tank will actually be the best place to put it, ( think of water circulating in the tank) the downside of this is you  will only be able to heat a full tank of water which is why items such as electric kettles have their elements at the bottom.

andyralph

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2021, 01:23:02 pm »
Thanks for reply’s does it matter f I use a 3kw element thanks andy

Ched

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2021, 01:35:39 pm »
Thanks for reply’s does it matter f I use a 3kw element thanks andy
The problem with a 3KW element is getting power to it. A 13A plug isn't enough as 3KW at 220V is 13.5Amps! So you need a 16 Amp supply installing at your house!
If you shop round you can get 2Kw elements that run of 13 plug no problems.

andyralph

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2021, 04:56:02 pm »
Hi does it matter if I fill up the tank first the  first the heat as for me to put the element down towards the bottom of the tank it will b hard to fit as my tank is an upright and would u normally heat as u fill the tank thanks andy

Smudger

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2021, 05:57:42 pm »
The element must be under water or it will burn out - fill then turn it on and leave overnight

Darran
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk

andyralph

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2021, 06:20:37 pm »
Hi thanks what the best temperature to set it at and how long would it take to heat 700 litres thanks andy

Smudger

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2021, 06:55:41 pm »
Depends on what temperature your aiming for ...

I tend to set my stats at 60 degrees

It's been a long time since I checked what they get to but I run them from 10 pm until 7.30 am - my vans are inside a unit so don't really have to battle the really cold outside weather

If I was outside and the temp was zero to minus 3 I would have it running  from 6 pm right through to the morning  to achieve something like 45 degrees in the tank - really you need o try different times with different outside temps  use your water tds meter to check water temp

Darran
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

andyralph

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2021, 07:53:03 pm »
Hi thanks can u adjust temperature on all emmersion elements or do I need to buy one with there being at setting facility and does it matter what length and weather there copper or stainless or titanium thanks for your help andy

AuRavelling79

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2021, 08:05:30 pm »
3kw divided by 240v not 220 so just within 13 amps.

However if you go 3kw I would get an electrician to install a separate supply rather than a spur and to fit 16amp caravan type sockets.

I did thus for a few years but on my current element dropped to 2kw as it let's you run a light or a battery charger off the same lead/socket and let's me retain normal 13a plugs.
It's a game of three halves!

Smudger

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2021, 08:07:54 pm »
Hmmm....

All the ones I get have a thermostat as part of the element - they have an adjustable dial - some are marked 40 to 80 others 4 to 8

I would go for stainless or inox over copper as for length if you have a clear run inside the tank go for a 22" ( or whatever he longest is ) I've just used 11 " ones

Darran

Smudger

« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2021, 08:11:46 pm »

However if you go 3kw I would get an electrician to install a separate supply rather than a spur and to fit 16amp caravan type sockets.

I did thus for a few years but on my current element dropped to 2kw as it let's you run a light or a battery charger off the same lead/socket and let's me retain normal 13a plugs.

Good post - I ran 3 kw off the mains ring iit used to get warm (quite warm) when I had a timer plugged in it did fry that quite nicely 😊

Now I have 16 amp dedicated sockets for the 3 kw vans but standard 3 pin for 2 kw - but not off a spur

Darran

Ched

« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2021, 09:11:09 pm »
UK supply used to be 240vac but with EU harmonisation in 1994 we changed to be more inline with Europe. The harmonisation was completed in January 2003.

I believe UK supply is actually more like 230vac nominally. The point I was trying to make was it's not a good idea to run a 3Kw immersion heater of a 13 amp socket!

֍Winp®oClean֍

« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2021, 09:37:37 pm »
UK supply used to be 240vac but with EU harmonisation in 1994 we changed to be more inline with Europe. The harmonisation was completed in January 2003.

I believe UK supply is actually more like 230vac nominally. The point I was trying to make was it's not a good idea to run a 3Kw immersion heater of a 13 amp socket!

Couldn't agree more.

DO NOT run a 3kw immersion heater from a 13amp socket unless you wish to burn your house down.......like I nearly did!!

You need to come from a dedicated 16amp line from the consumer unit with suitable cable, timer and connections. It's all cheap and freely available to buy and a very simple job for a qualified electrician.
Comfortably Numb!

KS Cleaning

« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2021, 12:04:21 am »
I’ve also got a 3kw immersion, dedicated 16 amp socket straight from consumer unit, all fitted by a qualified sparky.

andyralph

« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2021, 12:53:27 pm »
Hi all best place 2 get a 2 kw Emmersion element as all the ones I’ve looked at r 3kw and they all seem to b 11 inch’s in length will that do the job thanks andy

KS Cleaning

« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2021, 01:22:20 pm »
You will also need a mechanical flange like this, just make sure the size of thread matches the thread size of the element.
https://www.toolstation.com/mechanical-flange/p38614

Smudger

« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2021, 01:52:58 pm »
thermtec make immersions just down the road from me I got several off them

here is there website  http://www.thermtec.co.uk
I had a quick look - I can see 1kw and 3 kw - you might need to ring for a 2kw

Darran

Ched

« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2021, 03:06:29 pm »
Just a quick google and this company came up https://www.midlandchandlers.co.uk/products/immersion-heater-2kw-240v-hc-042#
I have not used the company.