This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

֍Winp®oClean֍

Re: Written off van ?
« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2020, 08:42:11 pm »
Hopefully that will be a repair. In any event, my advice would be to keep it cheap and simple. You could go out and spent 14.5k plus on a new van but that seems awfully extreme because of a dented wing and door skin, particularly if your a sole trader and not a larger, vat registered company. Have it repaired or get paid out and buy a similar van. The more you spend, the more you have to pay back, just remember that. This whole exercise is only about how much of your earnings YOU get to keep, that's all that matters in the end. A 4k van will do exactly the same as a 14k one, and lose less value to boot.👍
Comfortably Numb!

Mike Burd

« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2020, 08:55:58 pm »
Hopefully that will be a repair. In any event, my advice would be to keep it cheap and simple. You could go out and spent 14.5k plus on a new van but that seems awfully extreme because of a dented wing and door skin, particularly if your a sole trader and not a larger, vat registered company. Have it repaired or get paid out and buy a similar van. The more you spend, the more you have to pay back, just remember that. This whole exercise is only about how much of your earnings YOU get to keep, that's all that matters in the end. A 4k van will do exactly the same as a 14k one, and lose less value to boot.👍
Against that though, a new van will probably be more reliable, have a warranty and last 10 years instead of 3. Not a guarantee, but most likely.

֍Winp®oClean֍

« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2020, 09:24:09 pm »
Against that though, a new van will probably be more reliable, have a warranty and last 10 years instead of 3. Not a guarantee, but most likely.

Yep, but would you pay 10k for a warranty? If a new van lasts 10 years then why would a 4/5 year old van only last 3? A 4/5 year old van will easily last 10 years if looked after. Neither are going to be worth a great deal after 10 years and that margin will be far less than the initial one.
Comfortably Numb!

lee_dewing

« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2020, 10:54:00 pm »
Winp®oClean

Get what you mean, I hope to get back van repaired.

If that’s the case I think later this coming year I may lease.

I’ve had turbo go on this van
Which I naively believed van company I bought from did a proper service
Paperwork checkboxes didn’t have a tick in oil change box
Assured oil changed etc

Also had to do glow plug 🔌

It’s a lottery with second hand vans

Paying say £200 a month for a new van
With 3 year warranty
No mot’s, road tax,  repair bills seems appealing

Then giving keys back after 3 years, repeat
🤔

A tax deductible expense I assume

As said new ulez rules coming nearby
Government wants all electric vehicles 🚗 in another 10 + years

Buying a new van then government moves goal posts on pollution regs
Could leave you with a worthless asset
Understand vehicles depreciate

But if you buy on finance new over say 5 years you may end up in the 💩
If your van doesn’t fit the new eco tech rules
Just an opinion
Pleasure in the job puts perfection in the work.     - Aristotle

Mike Burd

« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2020, 05:58:52 am »

Yep, but would you pay 10k for a warranty? If a new van lasts 10 years then why would a 4/5 year old van only last 3? A 4/5 year old van will easily last 10 years if looked after. Neither are going to be worth a great deal after 10 years and that margin will be far less than the initial one.
You’d struggle to get a 4 year old van that’s decent for £4K.  Newest one on a quick search was 2016 Combo with 125,000 miles for £3,695 + Vat.

Scrimble

« Reply #25 on: December 30, 2020, 08:18:11 am »
Lee, when buying new you can extend the warranty to 5 years,

used vans is a lottery you don't know what you are going to get, some last others are a constant repair bill,

NWH

« Reply #26 on: December 30, 2020, 10:12:24 am »
Any warranty on a van that’s extended is worth about a fAg paper,give  yourself a budget of 10-12k incl vat and get yourself something that’s comfortable everything works etc.
When a van gets to a certain age like a car it gets put out to grass like an animal that’s had its use,people get rid of vehicles at a certain time for a reason things are either gone or are about to  go on it. I wouldn’t consider anything with 125000 miles on it unless I’d owned it therefore knowing it’s been looked after,a van of this age will need its oil changing a lot more frequently I’d change the oil on anything of that age every 3-5k.

Scrimble

« Reply #27 on: December 30, 2020, 11:42:51 am »
Any warranty on a van that’s extended is worth about a fAg paper,

extending the manufacturers warranty is worthless? Doblos come with 3 years warranty and can be extended to 5 at the dealership, if it breaks you take it back and it comes back to you fixed, I know I have 8 Doblos and the warranty is well worth it,

my latest Doblo has 5 years breakdown, servicing and warranty,

KS Cleaning

« Reply #28 on: December 30, 2020, 12:00:20 pm »
Winp®oClean

Get what you mean, I hope to get back van repaired.

If that’s the case I think later this coming year I may lease.

I’ve had turbo go on this van
Which I naively believed van company I bought from did a proper service
Paperwork checkboxes didn’t have a tick in oil change box
Assured oil changed etc

Also had to do glow plug 🔌

It’s a lottery with second hand vans

Paying say £200 a month for a new van
With 3 year warranty
No mot’s, road tax,  repair bills seems appealing

Then giving keys back after 3 years, repeat
🤔

A tax deductible expense I assume

As said new ulez rules coming nearby
Government wants all electric vehicles 🚗 in another 10 + years

Understand vehicles depreciate

Just an opinion
Whilst leasing will mean lower monthly payments over buying outright, at the end of it you don’t have an asset. In nearly all cases leasing will cost more money than buying outright in the long term. You are essentially paying the vans depreciation plus a little more. Leasing is a salesman’s dream as it’s easy to entice buyers with the promise of low monthly payments, a wise buyer will look further into the deal and calculate what the total cost is going to be. Also look out for penalties if you try to come out of the deal early, as an example depreciation of a van will be approx 20% first year, 15% second year, 10% third year, so over a 3 year term depreciation would be calculated at an average of15% per year, if you come out of that deal early depreciation would then be charged at the higher percentage so there will be penalties applied.
Road tax still has to be paid when leasing and if you want to add a maintenance package that will also come at a cost.

NWH

« Reply #29 on: December 30, 2020, 12:04:24 pm »
I know on some vans they started selling them with huge warranty but that wouldn’t happen with vans that fly out the showroom,I just think it’s madness buying a van for what we do with 100 odd 1000 miles on the clock,that kind of van would be more suited to a builder that just needs to get to the site and home again in it.

a900

« Reply #30 on: December 30, 2020, 12:21:48 pm »

When a van gets to a certain age like a car it gets put out to grass like an animal that’s had its use,people get rid of vehicles at a certain time for a reason things are either gone or are about to  go on it. I wouldn’t consider anything with 125000 miles on it unless I’d owned it therefore knowing it’s been looked after,a van of this age will need its oil changing a lot more frequently I’d change the oil on anything of that age every 3-5k.

I purchased my van when it was 6 years old and had 206000 miles on the clock. I do the oil changes on the book roughly 14k miles. Have changed the gearbox and diff oils. On 240000miles 4 years later. Vehicles will last a long time if they are German and looked after. Would happily buy another high mileage but newer van in future. One that has been looked after by the previous owner.

Saying that you can make the wisest second hand purchase and there is still an element of it being a lottery which you don’t have if you pay more a month but know what you’re paying if buying/financing new

NWH

« Reply #31 on: December 30, 2020, 02:24:09 pm »
I’m talking about in general it’s not a good move to buy a van that’s already had the vast majority of its life,if I looked at a van and someone said never needed a new turbo never needed a clutch etc I’d run a mile because it would be me that would be replacing them.

JandS

« Reply #32 on: December 30, 2020, 07:41:42 pm »
I paid £10k for a 15 plate with 37000 on it.......it's in excellent condition body wise and the engine looks tidy......the back is clean and nicely boarded out....it had all paperwork including full RAC inspection report...... had been looking for weeks for newer at the same price maybe 16/17 plate but most of them had at least 80k/100k on the clock or more....the ones around 65k on clock had mostly been abused especially in the back.
They aren't cheap 2nd hand at the moment.
Impossible done straight away, miracles can take a little longer.

lee_dewing

« Reply #33 on: January 05, 2021, 08:54:18 pm »

Ford Fiesta courtesy van showed up yesterday 👍
Wasn’t happy about having such a small van

Luckily there bigger than I remember 😉

NWH

« Reply #34 on: January 05, 2021, 10:08:24 pm »
👍 someone said 200 a month for a van what vans that then.

motod

« Reply #35 on: January 06, 2021, 04:21:16 pm »

I'm in the ULEZ zone. Need new van soon. Probably get 2nd hand diesel van as you say we dont know how long they will alow diesel or even petrol in th new ULEZ. Euro6 diesel for now, untill electric vans are cheaper I thinik...

lee_dewing

« Reply #36 on: January 07, 2021, 09:15:11 pm »

Citroen berlingo 1.5 diesel 3 yr lease from vanarama

Unless I’ve misunderstood
Which is very possible 🤦‍♂️

lee_dewing

« Reply #37 on: January 07, 2021, 09:17:32 pm »
Motod

That’s why I’m considering leasing

As said buying new or 2-3 year old van
Might be worthless by the time you’ve made the last payment 🤦‍♂️

deeege

« Reply #38 on: January 08, 2021, 09:08:39 am »

Which is very possible 🤦‍♂️

Got a link?

I lease the Berlingo but pay more than that. Bare in mind you’ll need a 1000kg+ payload so the base model is no good. Also I need 15k mikes per year which bumps up the cost.
"....and it's lend me ten pounds, I'll buy you a drink, and mother wake me early in the morning."

High-Tower

« Reply #39 on: January 08, 2021, 09:22:41 am »
someone said 200 a month for a van what vans that then.

Which is very possible ‍♂️

Got a link?

I lease the Berlingo but pay more than that. Bare in mind you’ll need a 1000kg+ payload so the base model is no good. Also I need 15k mikes per year which bumps up the cost.

It’s 12months down, £165+vat, 60months, 6k per year. As soon as you reduce the years or increase the mileage it’s more like £200+vat.

Does anyone have a 650l in a 1000kg berlingo/partner/combo?
Could be a great 1 man polewashing van. Tank/reel/2poles/tele ladder. As much water as you could need and still compact and easy to park.