This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

anderclean

Pressure Washer set-up ....for an old guy !!
« on: December 06, 2020, 03:19:36 pm »
guy's, i'm a bit older (60) and can't do anything like i could 20, 15 or even 10 years ago, but
I have a decent size window cleaning round and want to add this service.

I want the best kit i can start with as i'm too old to take a 3 year learning curve,
I wonder if I'm already too old for this - but that's just the bad back talking...
any help would be greatly appreciated
I've not done any p/w work (apart from the usual diy at home stuff) - just been 6 weeks at the school of youtube

lpm ?  bar ?  accessories, best flat surface clean,
i know these things are important, but mean very little to me
budget 2 to 3 and a half K

tia Rob

TomCrowther

Re: Pressure Washer set-up ....for an old guy !!
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2020, 04:21:53 pm »
Rutland pumps or Conrad greensmith will sort you out. Get a Honda gx390 with a 21lpm pump. Flat surface cleaner, lance and turbo lance. Bang on budget.

Smudger

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2020, 08:33:04 pm »
Generally - what is your health ?

I personally wouldn't be starting to pressure wash at 60

firstly, a good set up is going to cost you 2k ( give or take ) - its going to ( unless your really lucky ) take you a couple of years to really bring in a good string of work - it could be sitting around for long periods being idle. - then consider this if you did get work in quickly its quite a strain on the body - handling 3000 psi is great for the odd couple of hours - but working the lance all day takes it toll - then its the unpacking and re - packing the gear - even with ramps etc... its hard graft - its filthy etc..

then you have to consider fitting it in with your window work....

if you go for it then as said the best all rounder is the GX390 with inter pump  - I'd pass on a FSC

Darran

A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk

Yada Yada Yada - www.m-clean.uk

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2020, 09:31:49 pm »
I concur with Darran.

There is no dragging the machine in & out of a van for me. (At 300 kilos) it is a forklift truck job but everything else around the machine has been set up so I can literally open the doors pull a hose to water, connect, turn on, fill up with water (to 200 metres away).

No filling the machine up, every couple of hours with an integral 70 litre fuel tank.

High pressure hoses are reeled (to 100 metres) and then additional clip ons - just pull connect lance and ready to go.

All lances are quick connect onto high pressure hose, all have bayonet connections - so the lance can be changed over, leaving the trigger fitted and machine running. all lances are split flow (for rinsing), all nozzles are quick connect. All lances have been made to suit my height, (tall).

30 inch FSC.

There's a 100 metre chemical hose reel. 100 metres pure water hose reel.

All other associated bits & pieces.

I cannot see how I can make my set up any easier on me but I have just done 2 months all over the country, for Tescos, Sainsbury's and others, finished on Wednesday and just putting together the RAMS for a 15000 - 20000SQM clean on a commercial site & I am knackered, absolutely exhausted.

Got some major back issues that are going to stop the business in 2021 but knees and hands are full of arthritis, fingers lock and I prise them apart - whether it has been exasperated by my works over the last 19 years is anyones guess.

Shoulders are both shot , riddled with Arthritis, certainly dragging 100's of metres of hose around and left to righting a lance for hours on end every day have not helped.

I'm 54 in April, a very big guy, fit (well that could be debated) and I'll keep going until the operation/s but to a degree I'll be glad it's over, thinking I'll be doing this at 60 is frightening, or starting out at 60 is not where you want to be.

Speaking to another 'professional', when we were working together a couple of weeks ago he said he would not want to be doing it at my age - felt old!!

The work is hard, cleaning a particular surface but it's all the additional bits that no one sees.

Clients only see the 4 hours of storefront block paving, the additional 5 hours of cleaning slurry from every single parking space hasn't even entered their head.

A viable alternative to my current situation has been found, is being set up, stock and required bits & bobs being bought, a website will be created shortly.

Maybe I excess in the work done, maybe clients have come to expect full throttle, maybe the expectation from myself to complete and get onto the next project as quickly as possible should never have been the standard set (finished a difficult shift at Leighton - Tesco live storefront & went straight to a Tesco in Sunbury on Wednesday but all of that happened - one problem - we all get old!

I'd be putting that 3k into something that is a million miles away from pressure washing & picking up marketing techniques for the new enterprise.

Given all of that there is no less passion for my industry than there was 20 years ago & you cannot buy the feeling of someone coming to the job and saying 'WOW' because they could not believe the difference in what you've cleaned.

Whatever you do I wish you well.

anderclean

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2020, 10:49:47 pm »
Thanks guy's
obviously disappointed you both think I'm too old
Anyhoo
Back tomorrow with a few more q's no doubt
Initially
I'm also tall so would want longer Lance's etc and thinking of a set up that could stay in the van 80% at least, of the time
Ooooo and I run 4 vans, so not worried about getting work and also my guy's are young, I'm only on the tools part time
Thanks again...

Jonny Swirljet

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2020, 06:46:48 am »
I'm 67 years old and the only problem I've had is with the turbo lance which caused a shoulder injury through hours of usage. Before starting work i do stretching exercises for my back, shoulder etc.

Smudger

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2020, 08:31:19 am »
no problem - its a shame you provided other information after the very informative an honest posts
you moved the goal posts on what you really wanted .....

Darran
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

anderclean

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2020, 08:54:08 am »
I'll be doing the work initially and ongoing on a part time basis
Was just after some info on a decent set up
Budget 2 to 3 and a half grand
Mentioned my age because I don't want inefficient kit !
Sorry if I confused you

Smudger

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2020, 09:20:56 am »
you can't go wrong with a gx390 connected to an inter pump ws202 - good quality reel with 60 meters (min) of 3/8 high pressure hose then a 15 meter length of 5/16 hose ( easier to move about )

couple of triggers - lances ( 1 meter and 2 meeter lengths ) various nozzles - waterproofs - water tank fitted in van min 500 litre
snow foamer - chemical injector - fuel cans - water feed hose 3/4" tricoflex at least 30 meters long - spare hoses for water feed another 50 meters - spare high pressure hose another 40 meters - ideally a spare pressure washer - spare unloader - spare connectors and fitting - good tool kit

Darran

anderclean

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2020, 03:31:14 pm »
Thanks for your help guy's
Very much appreciated

Mike Halliday

« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2020, 05:22:16 pm »
I don’t think 60yrs is too old for pressure washing as long as are not an unfit, lardarse.

If you are a fit 60yr old then no problem. I’m 57yrs with 2 artificial hips and work harder than my son who is 26yr.  But like Yada I use a van mounted system and have everything set up for speed (which also tends to make things easy)

I wouldn’t like to be lifting a  GX390  pressure washer out of the van or be dragging it around a house or garden. even wrapping up 40m of high pressure hose can start to get tiring at the end of the day.

If you can afford it buy a jetter and van, even a quality used system off EBay
Mike Halliday.  www.henryhalliday.co.uk

Aqua Power Solutions

« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2020, 07:09:28 pm »
Rob  , as the experienced boys have mentioned above i cant really add any more advice . The only advice i would say is try and do a couple of days free of charge with an operator and get some hands on .
 My brother went out and purchased a new PW after seeing how much work we do around the country . He did a customers block paved drive and after that he has never used the PW  again  ;D  Hard work and getting covered in dirt was not for him.   Ed
Aqua Power Solutions external property maintenance 01423 541 400 Mobile 0752 158 3240  Visit our Facebook page for examples of our work https://www.facebook.com/Aqua-Power-Solutions-332485570200950/

anderclean

« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2020, 07:23:34 pm »
What's a Jetter ?
Or a jetter and a van Mike ?

Smudger

« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2020, 08:57:05 pm »
Just bear in mind most of those vans are higher weights not 3.5 tone - not everyone can drake them

Darran

TomCrowther

« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2020, 07:14:12 am »
I’m 55 and find pressure washing easier on the body than window cleaning. This might be due to a neck problem.
I think doing any manual work all day will take its toll but it would definitely be a good move for your business.
A decent percentage of your customer base would rather use you than someone they don’t know for their driveways and patios.

anderclean

« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2020, 09:26:36 am »
Yes Tom
been turning this work away for far too long
My mistake so, getting on with it now...

« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2020, 12:17:59 pm »
Anderclean - where are you in the country?

TomCrowther

« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2020, 12:29:00 pm »
He’s in Essex.

« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2020, 12:51:59 pm »
Been in Essex 2 or 3 times in the last month.

Anyone wanting a little help ought to put up their location and see if there is anyone local that could give them an hour, or if they're prepared to travel a bit meet up on a job.