Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Clean Cloth

Damages and public liability claim.
« on: August 01, 2020, 05:42:25 pm »
As it is the weekend, just a bit of chat.

I have taken out Public Liability insurance with Hiscox via Gleaming.

If you have PL insurance you probably are already aware of this but I had assumed that in the event of damaging a customers window or property I would telephone Gleaming and report the incident, like with car insurance, you call the Broker or Insurer who deal with it.

But the procedure is different,
1) I must not admit liability.
2) Give the customer my insurance details and let them make a claim against me.
3) Fill in the Gleaming incident report.

If I decide to deal with the matter myself rather than pay the £150 excess then I cannot subsequently ask the insurers to get involved.

For anyone with PL with another company like A Plan or Alexander Swan, do you follow the same procedure?

I was thinking it would be difficult to not admit liability in many instances, like dropping tools on a conservatory roof or falling from a ladder onto a car.

I am a sole trader but expect some of you who employ staff may have quite a bit of experience with claims so would be interested to hear how you deal with it.

NWH

Re: Damages and public liability claim.
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2020, 08:39:50 pm »
If any customer of yours ever has any work done inspect the glass and frames and if you do decide to clean them remove labels etc get them to sign something,I had it years ago they were scratched from the builder but the customer was trying to say they weren’t there before I cleaned them this was when cleaning traditionally.
People can be nasty if they think it’s too late to blame the builder they look for the next best thing,the window cleaner.

Clean Cloth

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2020, 06:52:05 pm »
If any customer of yours ever has any work done inspect the glass and frames and if you do decide to clean them remove labels etc get them to sign something,I had it years ago they were scratched from the builder but the customer was trying to say they weren’t there before I cleaned them this was when cleaning traditionally.
People can be nasty if they think it’s too late to blame the builder they look for the next best thing,the window cleaner.

You are correct, I have had this 3 times, 2 had new conservatories built and each had quite a big scratch on the outside of one sealed unit, I told the customers after my first clean.
The most recent was where the customer had 3 sets of french doors installed and there was cement and labels on the glass.

NWH

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2020, 03:47:18 pm »

NWH

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2020, 03:48:23 pm »
Went to clean this today and couldn’t clean it because the home owner wasn’t there to sign a waiver for me to clean it,disgraceful painting

NWH

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2020, 03:50:27 pm »

NWH

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2020, 04:02:05 pm »

Shrek

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2020, 04:19:54 pm »
Is that roof full of paint?

NWH

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2020, 04:24:57 pm »
The whole roof has paint bits on it like the last picture and there is splattered paint spots on all of them,it needs jet washing first to get rid of the bits as for the paint spots and over spray it’ll be a ball ache.

Shrek

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2020, 05:05:49 pm »
That would be a right pita job, Flippin eck make sure you charge well!

NWH

« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2020, 05:23:56 pm »
Of course I will be cleaning it for free 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣.

NWH

« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2020, 05:24:21 pm »
That would be a right pita job, Flippin eck make sure you charge well!
Yeah I will do that’s why I need to talk to her first.

NWH

« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2020, 06:06:24 pm »
It’s a  regular clean that as well has been for years that house,that roof was clean before they came It just goes greenish after 6 months then it gets cleaned again honestly up close it’s a disgrace how they left it.
Had the whole house painted would you not have just put dust sheets down over the roof.

dazmond

« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2020, 06:34:11 pm »
id use an unger trad pole with a ninja scraper on the end for the paint splatter(as long as the glass isnt self cleaning)if i was 10 years younger....

nowadays id tell them to get the painters back........no way would i be attempting to clean that roof!itll be a BALLACHE for sure,theres hardly any fall on that roof and coupled with the paint spots itll be a nightmare IMO.....I wouldnt even do it for £300.....

price higher/work harder!

NWH

« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2020, 06:41:49 pm »
There is a fall on it Daz it just needs the pump flat out,she’s had it done before 5-6 years ago and it was much the same then I’ll jet it then pole it she’s not bothered about getting the paint off to a certain degree although I would be.
I’ll just do it on a wettish day it always feels like a bonus when you can get something done when it’s raining.