Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Simon Miller

Portable? Am I too worried about the weight
« on: July 08, 2020, 05:46:39 pm »
Hi,

New member here so sorry if this is not in the right section.

I am after some advice on what would be the best portable unit in terms of weight but retain decent cleaning properties and of course not too costly.

My reason for asking is my wife currently runs a domestic cleaning business but has recently been asked on numerous occasions to carry out carpet cleans. She has now decided that this is a service she would like to offer, rather than miss out on these potential earnings. So she has decided to undertake the NCCA course and has previous carpet cleaning experience and finally look for a unit to buy.

We have looked at various units from the jaguar Cub and Airflex mini etc which seem very good on the weight side of things but these really stretch the budget if it's not going to be used regularly. We did have a quote for an X Tract which looks a good machine and very reasonable in price (similar to the mentioned units stand alone price but this includes accessories and heater etc) but the weight is 56kg with heater. Currently the wife works out of a car and I am worried this may be too heavy for her if she does get regular work but then she may need to employ someone to run it on the side if the booking do come in.

So my question is, am I right to be worried about the weight and should not discount a heavier unit.

If I am right to have it as a concern, what unit would you recommend for say max £2500 ish.

Sorry for long winded post but hope it explains the situation.

Thanks for letting me join the group and hopefully get the wife to sign up for great advice soon.

Robin Ray

Re: Portable? Am I too worried about the weight
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2020, 06:59:24 pm »
Your not worrying too much. I have an Ashbys Enforcer 800 and If I had to use it as a portable every day it would be a nightmare, and my back ache would be even worse. I use it van mounted so not a problem.

If you need a true portable, which is actually portable there are options out there. The best option I have seen in recent times is the Tempest by Hilite services https://hiliteservices.co.uk/design/. It solves the problem of portability and weight by being in two parts. There are smaller machines too like the Altec express https://alltec.co.uk/product/express/ and the Cleansmart Mini https://www.clean-smart.co.uk/store/miniflex-lx-compact-pro-carpet-cleaning-machine/. They have a good reputation however you get smaller tank sizes so have to fill and empty more often on larger jobs.

Simon Miller

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2020, 07:40:20 pm »
Hi Robin,

Thanks for your reply, I forgot to add we looked at the Alltec express. I haven't come across the others that you mentioned so will check them out.

That is my worry, that it will become too much of a pain to carry out the job for example: Loading the car, then unloading, setting up the unit in position etc etc she may stop wanting to do it in the first place. I know that comes as part of it and  she is not one to admit it's a struggle etc, I would rather it was a decision she was happy with. Then if work does pick up to a decent level she can look to upgrade and maybe go van mounted.

I am positive she would prefer to empty slightly more rather than struggle from the offset.

Thanks for your help and advice

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2020, 10:05:17 pm »
The components inside make up most of the weight but if you haven’t got the power you’ll end up with a poor quality clean so there is a trade off.

Simon Miller

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2020, 10:22:09 am »
That is my worry with going too portable. Unfortunately though to start off with I think it needs to be manageable otherwise it will be too much of a chore and that side of the busines may get neglected if your worried about set up.
It's a hard one because there is so much choice. I like the Hilite unit Robin mentioned but you could say it's limited on power at 220psi but has excellent capacity or the miniflex can be upgraded to higher psi but no heat. So I suppose whatever you buy at that sort of range there is going to be a compromise. The budget means she has to start somewhere and on her own initially it needs to be workable

Simon Miller

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2020, 10:51:22 am »
The Ashby Sensei looks an interesting unit but again I suppose there is a compromise on power at 250psi and think it only has 1 vac.

Never thought it would be so hard to find a carpet cleaning machine ha ha

Thanks for all your help, it is very much appreciated

john martin

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2020, 11:02:49 am »
Hilite good choice , two vacs  , a heat source ,great price . quality build .
Should be able to load backwards into the hatch ?/estate ? Make sure u have space . The 250 pump is fine , many spent years working successfully with 100psi or so .

Simon Miller

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2020, 11:08:14 am »
Thanks John,

I must admit that is the unit we are swaying towards more and more.
Obviously this can be re-evaluated if it does take off but looks like it would be a great unit for years to come.

Robin Ray

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2020, 05:01:59 pm »
The 220 psi  pump wouldn't be a worry for me if I was considering a new machine. In fact it has some really good advantages over higher pressure plunger pumps. One is you can put 15 degrees C extra heat through the pump a total of 75 degrees. As it is a diaphragm pump you can also use powdered chemicals through the pump with no problems. Powdered chemicals can cause problems in metal headed plunger pumps. It also has a good flow rate, it just needs appropriately jetted tools. Because of these reasons I am personally going to use this pump in a future build, even though I have a number of higher pressure pumps sitting on the shelf.

Simon Miller

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2020, 06:39:49 pm »
That's Robin for that extra information, it is all really useful.
I think we have come to the conclusion that, yes maybe more power could deliver slightly better results but also it can be down to the individual and how much effort you put in to the task at hand, making sure all the rules of carpet cleaning are followed. 
The thing is we have to be sensible because this is a new venture and we only have limited funds and no point over stretching at this early stage. If things go well then she can upgrade. There is still alot we need to spend money on besides this purchase.

Thank you all again for you wise advice and we take it all onboard. Think I will have a weekend of research and keep you all posted which way we go.

One final question, just wondering if you have any recommendations on training course? We have looked at the NCCA course but is it wise to look at other prior to this?

Robin Ray

« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2020, 07:06:30 pm »
You should be fine with NCCA, depending on where you are in the country and want to go locally, there is also Alltec, Prochem, Restoremate, Cleanspec, Cleansmart, Woolsafe, Ashbys and Solutions, all providing courses. Some of these may inevitably be biased towards certain methods, chemicals and equipment.

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2020, 07:08:43 pm »
Just to add to reduce the weight but add the power why not have a separate
vac booster ? The machine itself could be quite small but a vac booster could add the extra va va voom

JandS

« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2020, 08:14:22 pm »
If the tank could take it.
Impossible done straight away, miracles can take a little longer.

Simon Miller

« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2020, 03:53:27 pm »
Hi Robin, thanks for that, we are in Dorset so thought the NCCA course in Chessington might be best.

Shaun, I will have to check that out, I had only seen inline heaters as an add on.

Thanks agains

Richard Tara

« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2020, 10:02:28 pm »
Hi Simon

I have the Alltec Express and the new Airflex Miniflex i did have a  Ashbys Enforcer but sold it because of the weight.

www.rbcleaningskegness.co.uk
carpet, upholstery, caravan cleaning for Skegness www.rbcleaningskegness.co.uk

Simon Miller

« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2020, 11:33:01 pm »
Hi Richard,

How do you find them both? Do you feel they hinder your job in anyway because of the smaller tank capacity etc (think that's what I read online) or generally big enough and good enough for what you want.
Suppose you would not have bought it if that issue ever crossed your mind.

To me they both look good units I suppose the Alltec having the inbuilt heater facility might be slightly the better option.

john martin

« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2020, 11:56:14 pm »
simon , i had a heated alltec express also as a second machine  ,  its really going to be an awkward lift to a car boot for a woman , its no lightweight .   I believe they do an immersion heater also for the express , that would add very little weight , but its quite a small tank for an immersion.   What sort of car would she lifting into to ?

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2020, 07:23:55 pm »
I have an express and it has heat exchanger and emersion dual vac motors and 220 psi pump I would not want to lift that in and out of a car the way that a boot is the main problem I did put it in the boot of my car when I needed to use it when my van was in the garage and it wasn’t fun lifting it in and out

Simon Miller

« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2020, 07:50:29 pm »
Thanks John & Shaun.

It's good to know that the Alltec would not really be that practical for her using a car. She has a Skoda Roomster (similar to Berlingo/Partner) and uses it like a van because the back seats are removed.
Maybe the best option would be for the Hilite that Robin mentioned as these do look very manageable seeing as it's a split system.
I can't believe I am still undecided on which machine to recommend her to go for ha ha.

Mike Strange

« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2020, 10:29:51 pm »
We do a lot of end of tenancy cleans and use an air flex mini which is great for the bigger jobs as we have hose extensions to get up 2/3 floors.
For smaller one or two bed flats  that are on the top floor or where there are no lifts we use karcher puzzi 10/2 which are great as they are light and one person can carry them up and down, remember its a lot to do with the pre spray , chemicals you use etc rather than the machine.
Ges Clean Ltd