This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Paul79

Just started a pressure washing business
« on: October 14, 2019, 02:52:48 pm »
Hi everyone

I’ve just been made redundant from my usual job of sitting behind a desk and at just turned 40 I’ve decided to become self-employed and do something completely different! So I’ve just started my own pressure washing business and after reading through a lot of the posts on here wanted to share my setup and hopefully can receive some advice from some of you veterans!

I have a Vauxhall Vivaro van and already had the signage done. I have a website up and running as well as a Facebook page and a YouTube channel as I plan on recording most of the jobs.

I have been up and running for just over a week and done 3 jobs for free for family to get before and after photos and some videos. Tomorrow my leaflets and business cards should arrive and I plan to get busy posting the leaflets out.

I’ve tried £50 on Facebook ads got about 8 leads but none lead to an actual job! I’ve got a lot to learn I think!

The equipment I have:
•   Petrol pressure washer 3000PSI from Kiam (https://kiamproducts.co.uk/kiam-warrior-3000p-petrol-high-pressure-washer-jet-cleaner-6-5hp-engine.html)
•   Whirlaway 14" Rotary Surface Cleaner (ebay item number 352343224717) which stopped rotating and is being returned!
•   Pressure Washer Surface Cleaner 18" (ebay item number 282376931428) which should arrive in a couple of days to replace the Whirlaway!

Also other basic items, waterproof clothing, ear protectors, safety glasses, hose and reel, gloves, brushes, petrol cans etc.
I don’t think this is a good time of year to start doing this from what I’ve been reading but I am determined to make it work, I actually enjoy doing this, watched tons of videos on it, done loads of reading and research and ended up here!

I was considering going on checkatrade or ratedpeople but there are so many mixed opinions on those I just don’t know!

I’m hoping to get my first paid job this week especially from posting leaflets!

As you can probably tell I am a newbie to this I’ve no capitol or savings so took a loan to get this all setup so I’m all in with it and would appreciate any advice you can give.

Thanks, Paul

zesty

Re: Just started a pressure washing business
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2019, 09:28:22 pm »
Hope it goes well for you.

You will out grow that machine very quickly, the minimum for most of us is a 3000 psi machine and 21lpm.

In terms of picking up work, it’s not easy in this game, which is why most do pressure washing as an add to their window cleaning. (Like myself)

Stick at it, and see how you go! Not the best time of year for it to pick up, spring will be better.

You might want to leafleting and offer a discounted rate to drum up some initial work.

Jonny Swirljet

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2019, 06:11:46 am »
Jet washing block driveways in the winter isn't a great idea because the rain can upset your drying time and you'll be forever awaiting payment on completion of work. I explain this to the custard and offer a return in spring option for the quoted price. Patio cleaning is fine and quick to do.

You might want to consider conservatory cleaning as an add on to take you through the winter months.

Checkatrade is okay but at approximately £100 a month can be expensive when starting up

Smudger

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2019, 12:36:30 pm »
Very good luck to you

Not the best of machines - as said 21 Litres per min. Is really the benchmark- you may find that’s why the whirl away is not working due to low flow - I very rarely use them - turbo nozzle  is king !

If you are truely determined not only leaflet but canvass, talk to people this will give you some idea of demand and what people need cleaning and how receptive they are to your pricing

It’s going to be a long struggle until you get established

Darran
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk

Paul79

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2019, 05:28:04 pm »
Thanks for the comments and advice guys it sounds like it's going to be a struggle to get going but I enjoy a challenge so I'm even more motivated to make it work now :)

The reason I chose that machine is because I’m on a low start up budget, I was looking at a lot of £200-£300 machines but they all had the 'domestic only use' label on them and anything heavy duty or high end was in the 4 figure numbers but this machine fitted in the professional user bracket (at least the description says). The choke won't close though even after being used for a while as soon as I go to close it it feels like the machine will stall so it's left half open not sure if that's a bad thing or not still got a lot to learn!

At the weekend when the whirlaway didn't work I ended up lancing the whole job but I genuinely enjoyed it (made a video of that you can see I try the whirlaway at about 39 seconds in and it doesn’t want to play: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8E5Bnl2iVj8 ). Considering just getting the turbo lance fitment for £40 instead and not bothering with a surface cleaner (which didn’t bloody arrive today anyway!).

On a side note the whirlaway did work brilliantly when I did the first job not sure if the outdoor tap water flow rate plays a role in that or not.

Another thing is if I go higher spec than the machine I have then it’s pushing me out of using the customers tap because you then need to invest in tanks but while starting out and getting those early jobs in for reviews, ratings, recommendations etc. I would rather focus on quality of the job rather than speed which will come later I suppose.

zesty

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2019, 07:48:34 pm »
Good job in the vid! Looks like it would have taken a while, but that will change when you upgrade to bigger and better machine.

You don’t need to worry about tanks, most just used a large water butt or wheelie bin as a bugger tank when using the bigger machines. I use a massive water butt. Fill that up and keep it filling with customers tap. Then you draw water from the buffer tank (water butt) to the pressure washer. That way you get 21lpm at the wand, cutting the time it takes in half.

Not sure about the choke issue, sounds like a fault, once the engines fired up, you shouldn’t need to keep the choke open at all. Maybe for a minute on a cold day, but usually they run well with the choke closed almost straight after fire up.

Water tap LPM will make a huge difference to your whirlaway. That’s the problem with drawing straight from a tap.

Once you’ve got the funds, get a 21lpm 3000psi machine and big water butt. You’ll be laughing when you try it 👍🏼

Paul79

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2019, 09:18:33 pm »
Zetsy it now sounds like the whirlaway probably didn't have a fault and it was down to the customers tap LPM  :(

Shame because I actually enjoyed using it but it's been returned now as faulty. I have a new one coming should be with me tomorrow it's alot more in price but at least I know now that the customers tap flow makes a difference. I guess the way to go is take say a wheelie bin to the job and fill it up, start the job but keep the customers tap water going into the wheelie bin the whole time! That way the pressure washer is working at max the whole time and then so should the surface cleaner too!

21lpm is alot I've just checked the machine I have is only 12lpm but after doing 3 jobs with it already it does a great job. Dam 21 is almost double what I'm using lol. I just got to struggle through until around end of February/early March and I think then I will seriously set off. Plenty of time till then to learn more and look into getting the better equipment too!

zesty

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2019, 09:32:05 pm »
Yep, plenty of time to build up a Business with your current machine.

I started with a 15lpm machine, and within a year I was desperate for more flow, so bought the 21lpm. What a difference it makes, honestly, it makes the job so much easier and more enjoyable.

Yep, a wheelie bin or massive water butt, fill to brim, and then leave water filling it up while you work. It always eventually empty’s as you work, but when it runs dry you just have a break and let it fill back up again.

I think you’ll find it a bit slow getting work in this side of the new year, but you never know!

drive surgeon

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2019, 09:46:19 pm »
Paul you need to be careful using a pressure washer that close to you in confined spaces.  Carbon monoxide is being pumped out that machine .  Even though it’s outdoors you can be breathing the fumes in as it’s all around you. I’ve studied the harmful affects of working outdoors with petrol and diesel generators . It’s been a concern of mine for over 20 years.

zesty

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2019, 08:32:37 am »
Paul you need to be careful using a pressure washer that close to you in confined spaces.  Carbon monoxide is being pumped out that machine .  Even though it’s outdoors you can be breathing the fumes in as it’s all around you. I’ve studied the harmful affects of working outdoors with petrol and diesel generators . It’s been a concern of mine for over 20 years.

Crikey, You sounds like an xtinction rebellion member!

I don’t think it’s ever going to be a problem unless working under a canopy. Especially with a smaller machine like his.

Obviously no one wants to be breathing in the exhaust fumes, but usually you can tell when your too close. Doubt it’s any worse than walking down a busy road full of traffic...

Paul79

« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2019, 05:30:16 pm »

It's funny you should mention that, because I got speaking to a guy on Facebook who already does pressure washing and his profile pic was of him wearing a mask, with the rest of the profile of driveways etc. Got me thinking and then did some research on it so I did buy one but haven't used it. My nose is already permantly blocked from an accident so I breath through my mouth and a mask will be a problem longer term but been looking at full face shields that have a mask built in the top there expensive though this one here from screwfix would be perfect: https://www.screwfix.com/p/jsp-powercap-active-universal-plug-8hr-respiratory-protection-li-ion/71038 I do wear safety glasses already but the rest of my face ends up looking like I have freckles with all the dirty water splash!

zesty

« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2019, 08:31:32 pm »
Seriously Paul, don’t worry about the fumes. Nine time’s out of ten you’ll have the machine plenty far enough away.

drive surgeon

« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2019, 10:02:09 pm »
Carbon monoxide fumes whether it’s coming out of a car or generator is no good to anyone’s health. Regardless of whether the machine is pointed away from you or not makes no odds if the breeze is carrying the fumes your way.  If you want to have no health problems from using a pressure washer then make sure it’s well away from you so you can’t breath them in. It’s not rocket science it’s highly toxic exhaust fumes you are working around . It’s your health

zesty

« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2019, 08:12:45 pm »
Yes fumes are bad.

But a pressure washer out in the open air, away from yourself is not going to be a problem in most instances.

You’d soon know if it was. Headache!!!! Then worse!!!!

Paul79

« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2019, 09:25:11 pm »
Yes fumes are bad.

But a pressure washer out in the open air, away from yourself is not going to be a problem in most instances.

You got me a little paranoid now! Today I woke up with a really bad headache, it's very very rare I get headaches maybe last one I had was about 20 years ago back in the younger hangover days! This headache has lasted all day it's not so bad now I've had a couple beers but it's been all day and the last job I did 2 days ago took me 4-5 hours with the lance and I remember yesterday having a constant burning petrol smell  :o

drive surgeon

« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2019, 10:12:52 pm »
Carbon monoxide exposure  be very careful. Exposure to fumes over long term can cause all sorts of ailments and strong exposure can cause nausea , headaches ,  and death in some cases.   

zesty

« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2019, 07:26:36 am »
Yes fumes are bad.

You got me a little paranoid now! Today I woke up with a really bad headache, it's very very rare I get headaches maybe last one I had was about 20 years ago back in the younger hangover days! This headache has lasted all day it's not so bad now I've had a couple beers but it's been all day and the last job I did 2 days ago took me 4-5 hours with the lance and I remember yesterday having a constant burning petrol smell  :o

Paul in this case, having a headache is more likely due to the new job, the stress, and the body getting used to it.

If your really worried, buy a carbon monoxide detector.

Seriously though, it’ll be fine!

Mike Halliday

« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2019, 07:31:47 am »
There is no risk  from using a petrol pressure washer outside.

What about all the ride on lawnmowers  or just push along petrol lawnmowers? are all the gardeners collapsing  with breathing problems? And they work within 3ft of the exhaust. I would guess you have 30ft of hose.

Sit in a traffic jam with the window open on a sunny day and you will be at greater risk

Mike Halliday.  www.henryhalliday.co.uk

zesty

« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2019, 08:54:22 pm »
There is no risk  from using a petrol pressure washer outside.

What about all the ride on lawnmowers  or just push along petrol lawnmowers? are all the gardeners collapsing  with breathing problems? And they work within 3ft of the exhaust. I would guess you have 30ft of hose.

Sit in a traffic jam with the window open on a sunny day and you will be at greater risk

Exactly.

It really REALLY isn’t even worth the tiniest amount of worry.

drive surgeon

« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2019, 09:22:51 pm »
A BREATH OF FRESH EXHAUST
 30 May 2015 Garden Kit
Most of you will have experienced the rather nauseous exhaust fumes from your garden machinery which rather spoil the enjoyment of gardening. A couple of hours walking behind your mower will leave your clothes smelling of exhaust fumes. This may not be too noticeable when in the garden, but if you nip indoors for a cup of tea or to watch Neigbours, then you, and those around you, will notice the smell.

If you use a 2 stroke petrol powered hedgecutter it is very likely that you have suffered the effects of inhaling those smelly exhaust fumes. Many people suffer severe headaches and nausea, as well as becoming very tired, very quickly. Not pleasant at all and it puts many people off doing the job.

The cause of theses symptons is the chemically imbalanced petrol that we buy from the pumps. The fumes of both the neat petrol, and the exhaust fumes are classed as 'toxic' and as such are really bad to health. The government knew this years ago and legislated that all cars should meet tight emission controls and be fitted with Catalytic converters whic trap, and burn off the toxic product.

Garden Machinery on the whole is not fitted with 'cats' and the exhaust remains Toxic.