Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

zesty

Re: Loads of cancellations
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2019, 12:08:02 pm »
From now on mate, with all new customers, don’t say anything about a text before. Hopefully that will help mate 👍🏼

Dave Willis

« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2019, 12:31:13 pm »
Maybe just become a part time cleaner? They earn more money apparently.  ;)

Dave Willis

« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2019, 12:34:16 pm »
Branch out too and offer gutter cleans, fascias and conservatory roofs. Loads about, one job might last half a day.
When I didn’t have enough work I’d sit there crying into my Yorkshire pudding at the local carvery. Sometimes I’d go to the gym and just stare at myself in the mirror for hours on end.
Keep plugging away you’ll get there.

TomCrowther

« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2019, 02:36:26 pm »
This is one of those challenging times when you have to push on. Realise that 20% or so of the early customers will be less than completely honest and as others have said, set out your stall early on.
Your customers need to appreciate that this is your business and you can't have same day cancellations for no reason. Don't take it personally and one day you will look back and laugh at these things.

Slacky

« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2019, 03:44:27 pm »
I’ve sent my messages out this evening and had 3 say they are on holiday (fair enough) but had 5 say can they leave it this month (which I’m not happy with at all) I’ve said it’s ok this time, c u next month.
I will let it slide this once but if I get it again I will be giving them an ultimatum.
I feel kind of stuck because I think some of it is down to texting customers but the problem is if I don’t I know gates won’t be unlocked or they won’t be in or cancel on the spot also all these customers I’ve canvassed I have told I will always text the day before I can’t just suddenly stop... kind of in a muddle now, really annoyed with these mess about customers thinking they can pick and chose which month they want them doing...
Any advice would be much appreciated, am I doing it right in giving them a pass this time then if it happens again have a stern word?
What would you do?
 ???

it must be so frustrating for you.... >:(

when i started up back in 1993 i used to get a few more messers than i do now but ive never had 5 in one day in 26 years of window cleaning!mind you back then i didnt text customers the night before,i just turned up(which is still 75% of my round to this day)......

how many jobs have you got at present james?im very surprised your getting "not todays" on 8 weekly jobs......usually these are less likely to skip.....

I have around 80 customers now but I feel like about 30% of them are hit or miss (unreliable)

I don’t believe all your customers have locked gates. Do you go out canvassing for people who lock their back gates so you can clean their windows.

Stop texting and buy a step ladder. If you really have to clean them climb over the gate.

I’m currently sat on the drive of a customers place and the gate will be locked. It always is. I just reach over and unlock it. Stop making a rod for your own back.

nathankaye

« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2019, 03:45:31 pm »
As above!

I have many great clients, who I have many a chats to. They make drinks and offer biscuits n some even make a sandwich from time to time. As much as I may say they are friends as such,,,,,,,they aren't and never will be! Ag the end of the day, we operate our business how we choose to do so and they employ us as a window cleaner.  When ever that wont suit them any more, for what ever particular reason,,,,they will fire you.   
You have to realise that it is never personal and never will be, unless your slack who's shackled up with his customer  ;D (well I think its Matt anyway)
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

Slacky

« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2019, 03:50:54 pm »
It is me  ;D  ;D

James Styles

« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2019, 06:26:38 pm »
I’ve sent my messages out this evening and had 3 say they are on holiday (fair enough) but had 5 say can they leave it this month (which I’m not happy with at all) I’ve said it’s ok this time, c u next month.
I will let it slide this once but if I get it again I will be giving them an ultimatum.
I feel kind of stuck because I think some of it is down to texting customers but the problem is if I don’t I know gates won’t be unlocked or they won’t be in or cancel on the spot also all these customers I’ve canvassed I have told I will always text the day before I can’t just suddenly stop... kind of in a muddle now, really annoyed with these mess about customers thinking they can pick and chose which month they want them doing...
Any advice would be much appreciated, am I doing it right in giving them a pass this time then if it happens again have a stern word?
What would you do?
 ???

when i started up back in 1993 i used to get a few more messers than i do now but ive never had 5 in one day in 26 years of window cleaning!mind you back then i didnt text customers the night before,i just turned up(which is still 75% of my round to this day)......

how many jobs have you got at present james?im very surprised your getting "not todays" on 8 weekly jobs......usually these are less likely to skip.....

I have around 80 customers now but I feel like about 30% of them are hit or miss (unreliable)

I don’t believe all your customers have locked gates. Do you go out canvassing for people who lock their back gates so you can clean their windows.

Stop texting and buy a step ladder. If you really have to clean them climb over the gate.

I’m currently sat on the drive of a customers place and the gate will be locked. It always is. I just reach over and unlock it. Stop making a rod for your own back.

If you read the thread I have said numerous times that when I’ve got these customers through canvassing I said I will always text the day before the clean to let them know I am coming, so what you would suggest is I stop doing that even though it’s what I said I’d do, turn up out the blue and hop over the fence do their windows and hope they pay  ::)roll

Crystal-clear

« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2019, 07:05:14 pm »
Is it ladder work you're doing?
Go out canvassing again this time triple the price You'll be surprised how quickly they'll tell you thanks for that I'll give you a call in the future because they won't feel guilty to lie to you as they've paid you correctly..
Or they will playball moving on.

They know what you want when you are cheap and you talk about regular they just haven't got the nerve to tell you there and then they've just seen you remove 4 years worth of dirt for not alot of money

by you saying I'll message you makes them think phew easy I'll just text back and say not today or no thanks sorted..

I know it's crazy the psychology of the job.
Can you go out canvassing and bill correctly
Then tell us how you got on...
We were all very naive in the past once upon a time it was easy for us all to be led up the garden path just because they say they want regular it can also mean their thinking the exact opposite..

dazmond

« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2019, 07:48:45 pm »
dont think that people wont want a 4 weekly window cleaning service,many do...i have lots....big houses too.....and some windows are pretty dirty even after only 4 weeks...

at least your learning not to offer to text EVERY job the night before going forward! ;D.....only text for access or if its a large posh "stand alone" house(these customers really appreciate notification IME).....

KEEP GOING!....itll get better in time mate.....
price higher/work harder!

nathankaye

« Reply #30 on: August 15, 2019, 08:32:19 pm »
Yes James, you turn up every four weeks so they know roughly when your coming and you clean their windows, stick a card through their door and wait to be paid.  If is that simple, as many of us have done so for a very long time.
I only text customers for gate issues and also new customers who have to wait until I'm in the area again for their first clean. That's it, though!  After the first clean, they know roughly to expect me on a four weekly rota after that
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

Simon Trapani

« Reply #31 on: August 15, 2019, 08:50:40 pm »
Just tell them (or leave a very short note) the next time you clean them that in future you'll only be texting those customers that need notice for access. They can take it or leave it.

Smudger

« Reply #32 on: August 15, 2019, 09:12:45 pm »
What would you do?
 ???

If you read the thread I have said numerous times that when I’ve got these customers through canvassing I said I will always text the day before the clean to let them know I am coming, so what you would suggest is I stop doing that even though it’s what I said I’d do, turn up out the blue and hop over the fence do their windows and hope they pay  ::)roll

and there it is!!

been doing it for 5 minutes and already starts being sarky
stop texting - get a set of steps and a pole with a hook to draw the bolt

I have to say I consider myself lucky - in this gentle, rural area of Norfolk I don't seem to have ever had these issues on any substantial level

Darran
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk

Dry Clean

« Reply #33 on: August 15, 2019, 09:21:59 pm »
Iv never texted a customer, back in the day when I needed whatever work/custom I could get I used a folding multi position  ladder to get over a locked gate, when I no longer needed that type of  custom I stopped.
I have always believed that the less contact we have with our customers the better.

jonny thompson

« Reply #34 on: August 15, 2019, 09:23:41 pm »
Put up with them , to start with then when you’ve grown your round start getting rid of them, it takes time but eventually you finish up with good loyal customers

Slacky

« Reply #35 on: August 15, 2019, 09:27:24 pm »
What would you do?
 ???

You have a choice whether you do that or not. It’s what 95% of the rest of us do. Why carry on living with the problem if it’s causing you problems.
Change your terms. Text them to tell them things have changed. Crack on.

James Styles

« Reply #36 on: August 15, 2019, 09:57:21 pm »
Is it ladder work you're doing?
Go out canvassing again this time triple the price You'll be surprised how quickly they'll tell you thanks for that I'll give you a call in the future because they won't feel guilty to lie to you as they've paid you correctly..
Or they will playball moving on.

They know what you want when you are cheap and you talk about regular they just haven't got the nerve to tell you there and then they've just seen you remove 4 years worth of dirt for not alot of money

by you saying I'll message you makes them think phew easy I'll just text back and say not today or no thanks sorted..

I know it's crazy the psychology of the job.
Can you go out canvassing and bill correctly
Then tell us how you got on...
We were all very naive in the past once upon a time it was easy for us all to be led up the garden path just because they say they want regular it can also mean their thinking the exact opposite..

No mate I’m WFP

James Styles

« Reply #37 on: August 15, 2019, 10:06:23 pm »
What would you do?
 ???

and there it is!!

been doing it for 5 minutes and already starts being sarky
stop texting - get a set of steps and a pole with a hook to draw the bolt

I have to say I consider myself lucky - in this gentle, rural area of Norfolk I don't seem to have ever had these issues on any substantial level

Darran

Nope. I just reply in the same manner if spoken to rudely.
The issue I’m going to have is letting all the round I have got now (about 90 customers) know that I won’t be sending texts, I see them not liking it & possibly cancelling all together.

James Styles

« Reply #38 on: August 15, 2019, 10:08:17 pm »
Iv never texted a customer, back in the day when I needed whatever work/custom I could get I used a folding multi position  ladder to get over a locked gate, when I no longer needed that type of  custom I stopped.
I have always believed that the less contact we have with our customers the better.

I’m also starting to think this, just kind of annoyed I’ve told all my customer base I will always text them the day before now. Got myself in a right muddle.

James Styles

« Reply #39 on: August 15, 2019, 10:19:05 pm »
What would you do?
 ???

You have a choice whether you do that or not. It’s what 95% of the rest of us do. Why carry on living with the problem if it’s causing you problems.
Change your terms. Text them to tell them things have changed. Crack on.

I am considering doing this I’m just worried I will lose quite a few customers as they seemed to like that they get a heads up on us coming to clean the day before.
Me offering this in the first place was a bad idea.