This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Cookie

Grass Cuttings Baked onto Windows
« on: July 28, 2019, 02:24:13 pm »
I've been cleaning this holiday let with floor to ceiling windows for the past 3 years or so (see photo). On the last couple occasions there have been small bits of grass cuttings baked onto the windows which take ages (& plenty of water) to remove. The job is taking 15 minutes + longer to complete with plenty of scrubbing & rinsing. Does anyone have any tips on how to remove these grass cuttings more quickly & easily?

NB: I have mentioned this to the gardener and apparently he's cutting the grass no differently to before (ie: ride-on with grass box attached).

Roy Harding

Re: Grass Cuttings Baked onto Windows
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2019, 02:28:44 pm »
I have found it’s when they have used a strimmer  on the edges.  I would wet all the panes then go back and wash the first, it does help.

Splash & dash

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2019, 03:22:11 pm »
As Roy has said , just spray it with water let it soak whilst doing other windows and it comes off straight away or it dies with hot anyway

TomCrowther

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2019, 05:18:26 pm »
Fit a scrubber/scraper/bronze wool pad on the reverse of the brush stock.

Spotfree

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2019, 06:18:45 pm »
I had a job like that, I told the owner that the grass is taking me longer to remove than "what I'm charging him for". I told him to ask the garden to hose it off as its using up my resources, which was costing me money. It's never happened since.

dazmond

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2019, 08:40:53 am »
hot water helps.....but sometime i still need to get my scraper out......its only an issue with the odd window here and there......
price higher/work harder!

SB Cleaning

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2019, 03:59:27 pm »
hot water helps.....but sometime i still need to get my scraper out......its only an issue with the odd window here and there......
Hot waters a waste of time and money, been there done it and cold is just fine.

P @ F

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2019, 04:14:18 pm »

;D
I'm so lazy I'm getting tired of it !

aztec

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2019, 06:54:32 pm »
at last someone speaking sense!
cold water is just as effective as hot water ITS A GIMMICK!
like parts per billion as pure water
rant over

Windy Miller

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2019, 07:40:11 pm »
Have a few next to farmland so when the farmer's cutting silage they get their fair share and one in particular gets a good going over with slurry too! Like others have said a quick soak and go back to it and plenty of elbow grease, there's no magic solution.
Same thing with lifting window boxes off sills and the petals from the flowers which stick to glass etc. I'd love to be more forward and explain that their house takes x amount of mins longer over the spring/summer months but I just grin and bear it 😬

Splash & dash

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2019, 07:58:11 pm »

I would like to see you clean baked on seagull poo and salt off with cold and get a decent finish , it’s a scientific fact hot will clean faster and better

SB Cleaning

« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2019, 08:06:26 pm »

I would like to see you clean baked on seagull poo and salt off with cold and get a decent finish , it’s a scientific fact hot will clean faster and better
you keep telling ya self that.

Splash & dash

« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2019, 08:15:55 pm »

Tell you what come out with us for a day and show us how good your cold water is on costal work , if it will clean it off I’ll pay your traveling expenses , are you up for the challenge ????

Spotfree

« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2019, 09:55:41 am »

Tell you what come out with us for a day and show us how good your cold water is on costal work , if it will clean it off I’ll pay your traveling expenses , are you up for the challenge ????

Mate, I live on the coast and clean bird muck and salt off all day every day with just cold. I get a lot of work from referrals so must do a good job (I'm confident in my results). I don't spend all day doing it either I earn a good crust.

I do fancy a hot water system though if it would make life easier for me at work, I would like to try it out. Does that offer stand to anyone? If so how far are you from North Wales?

Dry Clean

« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2019, 10:29:09 am »
£4.5k on an all singing and dancing hot water system and still needs a scraper on some jobs says it all, but I did think it might make a slight difference on coastal work, the problem with hot water reviews is you have the guys who overspend on it and need to see magic to justify the stupidity, the guys who do it on the cheap who tend to be more realistic, they get supple hoses and  winter protection, the guys who have tried it and seen no difference and NK who is melting concrete with  fish tank heaters.
Its only shiners who could make washing the dust off glass so complicated.

Splash & dash

« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2019, 11:49:20 am »

Mate, I live on the coast and clean bird muck and salt off all day every day with just cold. I get a lot of work from referrals so must do a good job (I'm confident in my results). I don't spend all day doing it either I earn a good crust.

I do fancy a hot water system though if it would make life easier for me at work, I would like to try it out. Does that offer stand to anyone? If so how far are you from North Wales?

We were cold wfp for 10 years and I thought hot was a waist of time , having had hot now for 5 years I know it’s much better , quicker , jobs on wooden sash  windows  that were always problematic and had to be gone over a couple of times are now fine on the first going over , we do a lot of properties that are literally at the high tide line and are quite often opaque with salt , sand and sea weed on the glass , cold will do it eventually but hot will do it far quicker at a guess we are doing the jobs now in a quarter of the time and getting better results . Trust me if I had spent 5 k on a hot system and  it didn’t work or was no better  than cold I would be the first to say it’s no good , knowing what I know now I wish I had gone hot years ago , all my vans now have it , it costs me around £65-80 per week per van in fuel but productiverty  and time saved makes it more than cost effective , , if you fancy a trip to Cornwall and can do this type of job to our standards and at the same speed as me and my staff I will  pay your expenses , that’s how confidant I am that cold won’t do it , I have been there and done it for many years  and realise now hot is much better , ime not talking about ones that claim to be using 60-70 degrees water using an emersion heater , we use 9 kw diesel fired units , before having a diesel boiler I tried the gas route , waist of time and dangerous, emmersion heater was ok  and gave nice supple hoses but not the heat at the brush that diesel does , , also pumps arnt rated to pump water above 60  degrees , unless you insulate the tank very well it also looses heat quickly and I have 1000 ltr tanks  so that will hold heat more than a smaller one

Dry Clean

« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2019, 12:36:47 pm »
Dangerous maybe but why would water heated by gas be any less effective than water heated by diesel ? to be fair unlike most on here at least you can give a decent reason for using hot but at the same time you can still see the I need to justify this to myself in your post, the need to put down other cheaper heating methods shows this.

Splash & dash

« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2019, 01:20:26 pm »
Dangerous maybe but why would water heated by gas be any less effective than water heated by diesel ? to be fair unlike most on here at least you can give a decent reason for using hot but at the same time you can still see the I need to justify this to myself in your post, the need to put down other cheaper heating methods shows this.

Ime not putting down the other methods of heating water , I said I had tried them and found diesel to be the best , gas is dangerous and keeps blowing out , 20 muinits cut out is a pain turning off gas between jobs is a pain you then have to use a hose reel full of water before it’s hot again , gas bottles unless you use the underslung tanks are bulky and should be stored in a sealed cabinet, and so the list goes on

SB Cleaning

« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2019, 03:09:41 pm »

You couldn't afford me pal ;D

I have used hot maybe not on the coast but the point remains,COLD works FINE.

Splash & dash

« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2019, 03:42:53 pm »

You couldn't afford me pal ;D

I have used hot maybe not on the coast but the point remains,COLD works FINE.

Lol you really have no idear do you , 😂😂😂
You carry on with your cold water mate  it will clean but it’s slow and  stiff and freezing hoses in the winter months isn’t much fun , as I said earlier take up my offer  and prove what you are saying or you are loosing credibility 😎😎😎