This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Lee Pryor

keeping your van warm in the winter
« on: July 21, 2019, 07:30:42 pm »
I am interested to know how people that cannot run an electric cable out to their van in the winter keep in from freezing?
The best way to predict the future is to create it.

Smudger

Re: keeping your van warm in the winter
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2019, 07:35:34 pm »
I thought you would know by now Lee - 4.5k on a diesel heater

Of course were all waiting for either P&F or your good self to bring the alternative to market

Darran
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk

Spruce

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2019, 08:00:32 pm »
We used to recommend a gas driven Propex HS2000 or HS2200 with the thermostat set at around 2 degrees C. Unfortunately the gas bottle needs accommodating.

The negative is that the heater takes up floor space and needs provision for an inlet and exhaust through the floor below it.
Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

Ooooooog

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2019, 08:22:26 pm »
Park them inside.

Plankton

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2019, 09:38:49 pm »

Plankton

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2019, 09:41:01 pm »
Something like this?
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5000W-12V-Air-Diesel-Heater-4-Holes-LCD-Monitor-PLANAR-For-Trucks-Boats-Bus-Car/143320953743?hash=item215e98338f:g:UokAAOSwEGBdIENN

This looks pretty straightforward? Have you got one of these?
Seen this last year on YouTube but can't remember how the vents setup, infact I think it was only setup in a workshop

Smudger

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2019, 12:11:21 am »
mine are kept inside,

depending on P&F I will probably go down the air heater route this October then reduce to a smaller unit strictly for equipment  - the place I have in mind has 24hr cctv and secure parking areas

Darran
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

Shrek

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2019, 08:11:35 am »
I think someone on here stuck foam insulation to the insides of their van as one step to keep his van from freezing  but can’t remember who it was

lal

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2019, 08:44:28 am »

Grippatank  diesel Hydroheat.

Simon Trapani

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2019, 08:51:37 am »
I think Lee's thinking for twelve or so vans so not realistic I would guess.

Spruce

« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2019, 10:08:03 am »
The trouble with diesel heaters is that they use a fair amount of current to get started.

To keep a van above freezing (my electric froststat kicks in a 2 degrees and off at 4 degrees) would mean that heater firing up numerous times through the night. Battery drain will be a major concern. If that cleaner hasn't off road parking, how will he bench charge his leisure battery?

There could be the other option of fitting a very expensive lithium-ion battery that will accept very fast charging with temperatures above freezing. But this could mean some alternator modifications plus the cost of the heater.

A propex gas heater requires a minimal amount of current to start it but probably uses a similar amount as a diesel heater with the fan running.

One of the local lads has on street parking only. He drains his pumps down at night during the winter and brings his hose reels inside. But we don't get the cold on the North East coast some experience futher inland.
Another further north insulated his tank and lagged the pipe from his tank to the pumps. He added 12v heat tracing cable between the pipe and lagging. When he started the van in the morning he switched this heat tracing cable on and it warmed the pipe enough to melt an ice in the pipe.  He also drains his pumps down and at the same time pumps the water out of the pipe from his pump to his van port.

On a side note, I wonder if its a viable option to look into all these charging points for electric vehicles that are now becoming more widely available and make use of them.

Smudger

« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2019, 10:14:56 am »
while draining down and removing reels etc.. is an option I don't think its practical for staff and multi vans - too time consuming and always the problem things get forgotten.

would it not be better to set the range wider ie. on at 2 degrees off at 6 or 8 degrees with would mean the heater working for a longer period to reach the higher temp but would be off longer until the temp dropped so the heater wouldn't be in this on/off cycle ?
Darran

Ian Sheppard

« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2019, 10:41:56 am »
An alternate option would be an insulated tank and immersion heater, We have developed a unit to manage an immersion heater, http://springltd.co/v11m-ihc-tp

V16 Is Here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1AhbZirSlpI&t=8s
Polarity Protect technology

Spruce

« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2019, 10:45:35 am »
An alternate option would be an insulated tank and immersion heater, We have developed a unit to manage an immersion heater, http://springltd.co/v11m-ihc-tp

The problem Ian is with those who can only park in the street, sometimes a bit away from their house/flat.

Simon Trapani

« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2019, 11:51:22 am »
I think the majority have driveways & power don’t we? Not sure what the answer is for those that don’t have driveways?

Isn’t that pretty much just a very neatly packaged thermostat Ian?

I’m still reluctant to drill into my tank even after all what I’ve read regarding immersions.

jonboywalton75

« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2019, 01:08:29 pm »
Old duvet cover that was going in the bin
0££££'s
Works well 95% time here in the mild Cheshire climate
Cheaper having a day off or 2 than spending£4500.00😁😁

The Jester of Wibbly

« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2019, 01:20:23 pm »
My diesel heater only kicks in a couple of times during the coldest nights. Mines always connected to mains straight to van overnight  to charge batteries.  So if you can't connect to mains then charging will be a issue.

Maybe best option for Lee is to invest in installing electric posts in his yard similar to caravan park hook ups to use heaters.
Claim your 50% off your mobile payment card reader with Sum Up.  http://fbuy.me/f7Ve3

« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2019, 04:06:14 pm »
Drain pump and reel.
Chuck what I can in the front cab with me and heater on full to first job.
Failing that, backpack the first few jobs til temp picks up.
Any colder, I stay in bed.

EDIT; Sorry Lee, just realised my reply has no relevance to your question as I don't keep my van warm.  ::)roll