This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Steven Biggs

F T A O . Granville or any other merlin users
« on: June 11, 2019, 05:08:47 pm »
Just after some info . I am gunna have to get some RO as my water has gone from 70 to 200 . I had a merlin about 10 years back and like the simplicity of it . But my only concern is the amount of waste water . Can you shed any light in this . Cheers Gary .

AuRavelling79

Re: F T A O . Granville or any other merlin users
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2019, 05:35:46 pm »
Two thirds waste to one third pure. Very simple and cheap to run but then - no water meter here.

My tap pressure is high too at between 60 and 70 psi so I don't have another pump to boost it. The Merlin/PRO is not very efficient below about 60 psi.

I also have a separate 10" sediment filter before the unit.

As to capacity I feed me and dan the man and I reckon we do about 3 to 4 days window cleaning per week each as sole operators.
It's a game of three halves!

Steven Biggs

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2019, 06:38:00 pm »
Cheers old man . No water metre . Lucky sod . Just one more thing then . What is your TDS going in and coming out .

Smudger

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2019, 07:22:05 pm »
If it helps I had a Merlin a few years back - loved it - I put a pump on it ( same one as use now for 4040 ) - TDS in was 240 in 009 out and produced just under 100 litres an hour.

I only stopped using it because I inherited an RO4040 with a van and system I brought

Darran
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk

Steven Biggs

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2019, 07:34:45 pm »
Cheers smudger. That’s encouraging. Think I am leaning towards getting one . The annoying thing is , I have only moved 4 miles . But the water is a different source . I phoned Yorkshire water up today . In the 10 days I have been in the house the TDS has been 130 and everything up to 250 . And that is every day as well . This morning it was 250 . Just now 180 . One of there water technicians is phoning me back tomorrow. Try to explain it . It shouldn’t vary so much in one day , every day .

AuRavelling79

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2019, 08:08:56 pm »
When it has new membranes - which work  out at about £200 for a set of two - I get about 4 - 6  coming out with 300/350 going in. But it soon (3 months) rises to about 10 - 12 and after a year is knocking around 12 - 16. When it creeps up past about 18 I get a pair of membranes. I'm on my third set in about 4 years.

You also have to replace the carbon filters which are about £20/£25 and last me about six weeks in the summer and eight weeks in the winter and then the flow slows a bit and I change it promptly as I believe a slow flow will speed up the deterioration of the membranes. (I did bulk buy a dozen somewhere on line at about £15)

It's not a the cheapest to run but if you have no meter it's acceptable. (To me anyway)

Steven Biggs

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2019, 11:08:37 pm »
Thanks for the in depth reply . Makes it appealing if your not on a metre . But I am , so the water rejection rate would hurt . Gunna have to do some sums . If I stay double di , I reckon 2 sacks a month . If I get a merlin it may cost the same in water . Might have to look at another RO . More hassle .

Smudger

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2019, 07:27:13 am »
if you put a water meter in just in front of the RO system ( about 40 quid off Ebay ) you can get a different rate for all the water going through the RO system and you don't pay the sewage charge on this portion of water  - provided you don't put the waste water straight down the drain

Darran
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

Steven Biggs

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2021, 05:44:22 am »
After another 2 years of DI only , I finally got a Merlin on Friday . Got it set up , very happy with it . 300 in 17 out . The waste is about 2 to 1 . I am not that concerned as during the summer and any dry spells I will water the garden with it .  But I always thought my water pressure wad good . I open the tap and it gushes out , seems a really good flow . I have fitted the pressure gauge that came with the Merlin , and it shows 30 , even drops to 20 when the taps open in the kitchen and the shower is on . So I think I need a booster pump . Will this decrease the waste water or lower the TDS output ? Any recommendations for one , also a sub metre top put on maybe ? Don’t want to go above the recommended 38000 litres input . Cheers Barry .

Spruce

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2021, 06:57:04 am »
After another 2 years of DI only , I finally got a Merlin on Friday . Got it set up , very happy with it . 300 in 17 out . The waste is about 2 to 1 . I am not that concerned as during the summer and any dry spells I will water the garden with it .  But I always thought my water pressure wad good . I open the tap and it gushes out , seems a really good flow . I have fitted the pressure gauge that came with the Merlin , and it shows 30 , even drops to 20 when the taps open in the kitchen and the shower is on . So I think I need a booster pump . Will this decrease the waste water or lower the TDS output ? Any recommendations for one , also a sub metre top put on maybe ? Don’t want to go above the recommended 38000 litres input . Cheers Barry .

You could put a gate valve (or similar) on the waste line to restrict the water going to waste a little more.
Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

Steven Biggs

« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2021, 07:07:42 am »
Apart from decreasing the amount of waste water . Which is good . Would it use the membranes up faster .

Steven Biggs

« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2021, 08:22:57 am »
Regarding the booster pump .I’m not interested in increasing the amount of water it produces . It does more than enough . Just wasn’t sure if it makes the membranes more efficient or less waste .

Stoots

« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2021, 11:26:57 am »
I've always found 50/50 a more efficient cost ratio when on a meter.

Smudger

« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2021, 02:24:28 pm »
Mine was boosted and I got 009 from mid 300’s

I used a dab pump - others tend to buy Clarke pumps from machine mart

Darran

Smudger

« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2021, 02:25:14 pm »
I also put an extra carbon filter before the merlin as well

Spruce

« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2021, 05:31:16 pm »
Regarding the booster pump .I’m not interested in increasing the amount of water it produces . It does more than enough . Just wasn’t sure if it makes the membranes more efficient or less waste .

I have a 4040. Our water pressure is 50psi and when I last tested our delivery at the tap it was 13lpm of water. I have never run a booster pump but use an HF5 Axeon membrane. My r/o uses 4lpm of tap water.

I have my r/o set-up at about 55/45 waste/pure and that is the best ratio (sweet spot) for the system as it produces the lowest tds of pure from the r/o  before di.

If I open the waste more so have a ratio of around 2 waste to 1 pure my pressure gauges drop from 50 to 45psi and my rejection rate is similar. If I further open my waste tap to say 3 to 1 then the pressure on the membranes drops to around 40psi and my rejection rate  goes up.

Our tap water tds is 123 atm. I checked it this morning. The tds of the pure leaving the r/o is 3. If I use a ratio of around 3 to 1 then my tds goes up to 4 or 5ppm. These aren't big numbers, but they are big percentage wise. 

I've run my r/o like this for the last 8 years and that's how old my membrane is to the month this month. Yes, with time, membranes will wear out. (My rejection rate has dropped from 98% to 97% over the years.) But the biggest issue we all have is chlorine, as chlorine destroys the fabric material the membrane is made from. If your r/o is consuming more water than necessary, then your carbon block is going to have a shorter service life. This will have an effect on the membrane's longevity if it stops removing the chlorine from the water.
Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

Smudger

« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2021, 05:59:12 pm »
Spruce - if you boosted that you would get down to 003

Darran

Steven Biggs

« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2021, 08:12:12 am »
Thanks for all those replies . When you say the Merlin is not efficient with a low water pressure . What does that actually mean . Is it slow water production. Or is it using up the membranes faster , or does it mean the TDS is higher .

Smudger

« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2021, 08:19:02 am »
TDS will be higher

Darran

AuRavelling79

« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2021, 08:32:51 am »
I run my merlin off of tap pressure. I have a gauge but 'everyone' tells me I have very high pressure if it is accurate.

It varies between 55 and 70 psi. The higher the pressure gives a slightly better tds.

I suspect that I have prematurely damaged membranes in the past by not changing the carbon filter in good time. (38000 litres TOTAL)

So I bought a flow meter ready for the last change of membranes on 31st July. Put in a new carbon and sediment filter and changed both at 38000.

Membranes are at 9tds at the moment and I'm not bothering with resin at the moment. When it creeps above ten I will.