This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Mike Banks

Starting Out
« on: June 10, 2019, 03:52:57 pm »
Hello.  I am starting out in window washing and just started my research.

I think it will be a good move for me,  as it looks good, and hope to build a round up in a few months.  Is this possible?  I have some money set aside to buy a second hand van with a  system built in.  I have seen a few on ebay.  Would this be the right thing to do? or is it better to get the van some place else?

Thanks.

Smudger

Re: Starting Out
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2019, 04:35:03 pm »
have a read through some threads - there are a couple of others starting out - it's not always easy you have to put the work in and too build up customers you need to be out there canvassing as well as leaflets etc..

buying the equipment is the easy bit - don't overpay for a van with a system as you can do a DIY system reasonably cheaply - what's your water TDS - will you need an RO system or just resin ?

Darran
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk

SB Cleaning

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2019, 04:43:48 pm »
All depends on what area your in, some areas are saturated with cleaners its getting tough out there.

Mike Banks

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2019, 05:33:41 pm »
Cheers.

I am not sure what you mean by tds but this is something I need to look at, thanks.

I am going to work with leaflets to begin with.  I am going to be offering a special deal to start with to test the water as I know there are a lot of competition.

how big pole do I need?  I don't want to be using a ladder so need one that will do everything. 

Smudger

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2019, 07:06:47 pm »
well, like I said - what is the TDS of your water - how are you going to purify it  ?

I think you have much research to do before going out buying poles etc...

find out the basics first

Darran
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

Dry Clean

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2019, 07:16:55 pm »
Cheers.

I am not sure what you mean by tds but this is something I need to look at, thanks.

I am going to work with leaflets to begin with.  I am going to be offering a special deal to start with to test the water as I know there are a lot of competition.

how big pole do I need?  I don't want to be using a ladder so need one that will do everything.

When it comes to window cleaning special deals dont work, you either need and want a window cleaner or you dont, special deals tend to attract those who want a one off at a lower price and messers who will jump ship when another special deal comes their way.
Undercutting is another no no for the same reason.

nathankaye

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2019, 07:22:46 pm »
Hello.  I am starting out in window washing and just started my research.

I think it will be a good move for me,  as it looks good, and hope to build a round up in a few months.  Is this possible?  I have some money set aside to buy a second hand van with a  system built in.  I have seen a few on ebay.  Would this be the right thing to do? or is it better to get the van some place else?

Thanks.

There's a search facility on this forum which holds a stack of answers to help you on your way.
In addition, don't take our answers in the wrong way, as we're not trying to discourage.
Yet, many have come into this field of work expecting to make big bucks fast, sadly this won't be the case and certainly not in the couple of months that you've asked.   There's  a new lad, who's started a thread further down the listing. You will do well to read his thread as he's put a lot of work into building a sustainable round over a number of months and so far has gained 40 customers, which shows its not as easy as you may think.

Be wary of special offers, the general public aren't stupid and will use you for the freebies or discounts which you offer and then dump you for the next newbie to come along.  That's why a huge amount don't use gimmicks or low prices to undercut. The 2nd reason is that customers wait a long time sometimes for a decent/reliable cleaner to come along and when they find one, regardless of how much they pay, they won't be in a hurry to change.

I've been in this trade a long time, started traditional cleaning and now I'm wfp, but before I made that jump, I did a lot of research into how it works, the equipment needed (of which there is a lot), water tds, reverse osmosis, double DI etc etc for a number of months before I made the jump and then it was a steep learning curve. Many find the same and that's people already in the game. So take it steady, research well, soak up the advice and don't expect smooth sailing.
All the best
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

Dry Clean

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2019, 07:24:15 pm »
Leaflets don't work for everybody so you have to be prepared to door knock/ canvass if they fail, this puts many newbies off.

Smudger

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2019, 08:14:49 pm »
NK - THAT is probably the best post you've ever made - I'm gobsmacked  :o

Darran

tlwcs

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2019, 08:35:21 pm »

There's a search facility on this forum which holds a stack of answers to help you on your way.
In addition, don't take our answers in the wrong way, as we're not trying to discourage.
Yet, many have come into this field of work expecting to make big bucks fast, sadly this won't be the case and certainly not in the couple of months that you've asked.   There's  a new lad, who's started a thread further down the listing. You will do well to read his thread as he's put a lot of work into building a sustainable round over a number of months and so far has gained 40 customers, which shows its not as easy as you may think.

Be wary of special offers, the general public aren't stupid and will use you for the freebies or discounts which you offer and then dump you for the next newbie to come along.  That's why a huge amount don't use gimmicks or low prices to undercut. The 2nd reason is that customers wait a long time sometimes for a decent/reliable cleaner to come along and when they find one, regardless of how much they pay, they won't be in a hurry to change.

I've been in this trade a long time, started traditional cleaning and now I'm wfp, but before I made that jump, I did a lot of research into how it works, the equipment needed (of which there is a lot), water tds, reverse osmosis, double DI etc etc for a number of months before I made the jump and then it was a steep learning curve. Many find the same and that's people already in the game. So take it steady, research well, soak up the advice and don't expect smooth sailing.
All the best

Ok. What have you done with him, where is he and who are you?

Mike Banks

« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2019, 08:51:21 am »
thanks,  you have been very helpful.   I will do a trail run on my leaflet to see if my offer works.   I don't like the thought of cold calling.

I am thinking of just getting a pole with a scrubber and a squeegee on it to start with while I investigate a bigger system.  I think I need to take my time spending my money.

nathankaye

« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2019, 09:00:27 am »
If your using trad tools, especially on a pole, that requires a lot of skill and practice. More so than wfp.
However, either option, the main advice is, practice, practice practice.
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

Dave Willis

« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2019, 09:18:27 am »
Cleaning windows is the easy bit, a child could do it. Don’t believe the Bollox spouted on here. The hardest part is building up a good customer base fast and keeping it. There’s guys on here who’ve been cleaning for years and still don’t get enough work. Research how and where you intend to produce pure water first then how you intend to carry it. It’s the easiest job in the world for some. Most complicated for others😂 If you have plenty of motivation and a bit of luck you could be on your way.

Ps. Don’t try trad cleaning with a pole.

nathankaye

« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2019, 10:37:16 am »
Cleaning windows is the easy bit, a child could do it. Don’t believe the Bollox spouted on here. The hardest part is building up a good customer base fast and keeping it. There’s guys on here who’ve been cleaning for years and still don’t get enough work. Research how and where you intend to produce pure water first then how you intend to carry it. It’s the easiest job in the world for some. Most complicated for others😂 If you have plenty of motivation and a bit of luck you could be on your way.

Ps. Don’t try trad cleaning with a pole.

Not related to main theme,  but Dave give it a rest mate. Why do big corporate businesses keep renovating or why do they continue to advertise when they are the market leaders and well established.
Granted, some want to build a round to x amount of customers and reach X level of income and be content with the same routine, day in, day out. Others do not!

Back to the thread.
Yes window cleaning is relatively easy, it's just window washing. Yet many will smear or leave spotting etc etc, for various reasons. One of which is technique on either wfp or trad. So no, it does require a certain level of practice. That's why when ones employ, there is the need to train. 😂 Or would you send a complete newbie out on your work and say, don't sweat it, it's a doddle 😂😂.

So yes, as many have said, research n practice and continue to interact on the forum.    Let ones know how your getting on and what advice has helped and which hasn't etc. Make it a two way communication, especially with how u get on with your promotions
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

James Styles

« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2019, 11:22:15 am »
I don't like the thought of cold calling.

I understand it’s a bit daunting but I’ve found its the quickest way to get customers and build you’re round.
Let us know how you get on and good luck.

Dave Willis

« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2019, 11:43:02 am »
Don’t tell me to give it a rest Nathan thank you.

You don’t need training to clean windows. Couple of goes on your own property and relatives should get you started. Like I said before, the hardest bit is building a round fast enough to survive and earn a living particularly if jumping ship from employment .  My advice would be to go straight for water fed pole. Second hand van and cheap as possible. Improve your equipment as the money comes in.

Dave Willis

« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2019, 11:53:37 am »
When I started I was still employed so could build the business alongside even so the day came to jump ship to self employment. This is when you get the sudden dip in income. Cold calling isn’t for everyone but if you have a friendly smile and communicate you will pick up work. Do a good job at a fair price and the work will snowball. When you can afford it get a website - commercial customers search them.

nathankaye

« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2019, 12:00:32 pm »

Sorry Dave, did you take it personally.,,,,,its not nice is it! However you feel you can directly/indirectly attack other people's methods or thinking and it's OK?
What's good for the goose n all that......

Your advice is surely appreciated, as is everyone else's on here and that's why it's a good sounding board. However, some don't attack other people's approach and simply go in with their advice and leave the recipient to come to their own conclusion.

Sorry, moan is over
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

Smudger

« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2019, 12:11:44 pm »

Sorry Dave, did you take it personally.,,,,,its not nice is it! However you feel you can directly/indirectly attack other people's methods or thinking and it's OK?
What's good for the goose n all that......

Your advice is surely appreciated, as is everyone else's on here and that's why it's a good sounding board. However, some don't attack other people's approach and simply go in with their advice and leave the recipient to come to their own conclusion.

Sorry, moan is over

Huh?
Thats what I thought Dave had done

Mike Banks

« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2019, 02:14:19 pm »
well I gave out about 50 leaflets today, but it was  a but wet, so only did a few.

One guy came out of his house throwing it back at me telling me to get a proper job !!   is this normal, as I felt a little embarrassed, and with the rain, I just went home.