This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Mike Banks

Re: Starting Out
« Reply #40 on: June 13, 2019, 03:30:35 pm »
thanks all.   

I have found a lot of threads very useful to read.

For the ones who has questioned me about when I will cleaning after I have leafleted....

As said before I was testing the demand with my leaflet drops.   I won't let customers dictate to me when they want them doing, I will tell them when I will coming to clean (within two weeks).  I want to keep my future round in some kind of order, so I want to set the rules from the start to avoid issues,

I can be cleaning within a week, buying a backack and bulding s trolly for it,  I will use spotless water to start with for my water needs.  This will only be a temp setup, and will be kept as a back up.   (providing every goes well and I enjoy it) I will be buying a van and system, probably going straight for a hot water system (still to be researched properly).    This will be sorted within 6 months.

I'm in the process of talking with Royal Mail about a leaflet drop for me.  Looking at about 30,000 leaflets to heavliy push my new bussiness and grow it fast.

dazmond

« Reply #41 on: June 13, 2019, 03:44:06 pm »
thanks all.   

For the ones who has questioned me about when I will cleaning after I have leafleted....

As said before I was testing the demand with my leaflet drops.   I won't let customers dictate to me when they want them doing, I will tell them when I will coming to clean (within two weeks).  I want to keep my future round in some kind of order, so I want to set the rules from the start to avoid issues,

I can be cleaning within a week, buying a backack and bulding s trolly for it,  I will use spotless water to start with for my water needs.  This will only be a temp setup, and will be kept as a back up.   (providing every goes well and I enjoy it) I will be buying a van and system, probably going straight for a hot water system (still to be researched properly).    This will be sorted within 6 months.

I'm in the process of talking with Royal Mail about a leaflet drop for me.  Looking at about 30,000 leaflets to heavliy push my new bussiness and grow it fast.

you need to learn how to clean windows first mate......i suggest seeing if you can go out with an experienced wfp cleaner first for a few days and practice on your own windows and friends and family......so this means buying the equipment first before going looking for work.....

then when your fairly confident in actually cleaning a window to a good standard you can canvass jobs and clean them either there and then or within a few days then take it from there.......
price higher/work harder!

dazmond

« Reply #42 on: June 13, 2019, 03:52:19 pm »
I would not worry about what friends think. If they are true friends they will support you in anything you do.    It's just a job at the end if the day and how you make your living has the same results... An income.

I had a few people stick their noses up at me when I started.   But these same people are now jealous of the holidays i take and the gadgets I buy.  All the nice things they can only dream of.   Yet I'm doing half the hours they do with half the stress.  Who's laughing now  ;D

i had the same when i started back in 1993 during a recession......."itll never work"........."window cleaning is a bummers job"....."theres too many people doing it to make a living yourself".........this just made me even more determined to make a success of it.....

price higher/work harder!

G Griffin

« Reply #43 on: June 13, 2019, 04:08:58 pm »
"window cleaning is a bummers job"....."theres too many people doing it to make a living yourself".........this just made me even more determined to make a success of it.....
It is difficult when you first start. It can be painful but take your time and the more you keep at it the easier it gets.
You only get out what you put in..
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

Shrek

« Reply #44 on: June 13, 2019, 04:09:53 pm »
I was reading how well pressure washing jobs are paid . Iv no idea how to do it or what equipment I need but iv just delivered 500 leaflets.
I was thinking of buying a karcher from Argos when the phone rings  ;D

Mick Kent

« Reply #45 on: June 13, 2019, 04:11:30 pm »
One guy came out of his house throwing it back at me telling me to get a proper job !!   is this normal, as I felt a little embarrassed, and with the rain, I just went home.

He was probably right in all honesty.
I sometimes wake up in the middle of the night in a cold sweat wondering where it all went wrong for me.
Years ago I really should of listened to the advice Teacher's gave me at School and tried harder.
I mean when i was a kid i assumed i would grow up to be an Astronaut, Professional Football Player or even James Bond but instead i've ended up as a poxy window cleaner scrubbing bird poop off of people's windows to earn a crust?!!       

Haha mine is worse, my teacher said id end up a window cleaner...
Im guessing he wasn't expecting wfp to be invented at the time.

Dave Willis

« Reply #46 on: June 13, 2019, 04:21:11 pm »
"window cleaning is a bummers job"....."theres too many people doing it to make a living yourself".........this just made me even more determined to make a success of it.....
It is difficult when you first start. It can be painful but take your time and the more you keep at it the easier it gets.
You only get out what you put in..
😅😅

Mike Banks

« Reply #47 on: June 13, 2019, 04:23:31 pm »
Thanks again to those who have given some good advice to me.   

Sorry to see that there are a couple of negative comments, which I've also seen in other threads.

I have seen plenty of utube lessons and think its not too difficult to learn,   I will practice on my own and a couple of friends, but this wont take too long to do.  I have seen many do's and don'ts and seem many recommended methods. 

Daz, I did not know how some go about there business, so when a customer calls you, do you drop everything to go and clean it?   I would just fit it into my round order and give them a start date,  Is this not how window cleaners do this?  I would not want to keep darting from one side of the town to another.   

Mike Banks

« Reply #48 on: June 13, 2019, 04:29:02 pm »
I was reading how well pressure washing jobs are paid . Iv no idea how to do it or what equipment I need but iv just delivered 500 leaflets.

That's the second time now you have had a pop at me.  Do you have an issue with me?

nathankaye

« Reply #49 on: June 13, 2019, 04:30:26 pm »
thanks all.   

It is a good ideal to set your stall out from the start, as this will also help weed out the messers. If they trully want a window cleaner, they will wait. Plus  your not chasing your tail.

However,,,,, waiting to see what the response is like before you dive in is a little naive.  What response are you hoping to gain from your leaflet campaign?  Potential customers no doubt get regular flyers through the door. 😂 I have one round which seem to be hit on a monthly basis.   The return is always what you expect and then you've wasted your money and become negative with going forward.
Or
Buy the equipment and make it work. Canvass n clean as you go along, but practice first, people can't stress this enough to you and for good reason. It doesn't matter what special offers or sales gimmicks if you can't clean effectively you will soon get a bad reputation and that's that!  Whereas practice, be confident, canvass and clean as you go and your determined to make it work as your invested in it.
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

G Griffin

« Reply #50 on: June 13, 2019, 04:59:35 pm »
Banksy, can't you work with someone for a few weeks? Gratis if you have to.
You need to build up your confidence and customers' confidence in you.
It won't be easy starting without any experience or customers.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

Shrek

« Reply #51 on: June 13, 2019, 05:40:44 pm »

That's the second time now you have had a pop at me.  Do you have an issue with me?

Yes , your attitude towards setting up a business. I find it quite unbelievable that you like the look of window cleaning so your going to go and get some customers before you’ve even practiced cleaning a window  ::)roll 
Who starts a business without even practicing first  ???
You might think it’s easy but it’s not to begin with and takes years to build a profitable round. Like NK said , there’s a lot of people who think they can fast track to the big bucks but it ain’t possible, your going to be very very slow to begin with .
Offering special deals is the kind of thing people who undercut you say which isn’t a good start either

Smudger

« Reply #52 on: June 13, 2019, 06:03:59 pm »

Sorry to see that there are a couple of negative comments, which I've also seen in other threads.

It's no good looking through rose tinted glasses, you seem to think that it will all magically come to you - hopefully you will make a success of things - but we have seen many a noob on here - you just get a sense of who's going to make and those that won't - take heed of the 'negative' comments because at the end of the day they may save you a lot of time money and heartache

I have seen plenty of utube lessons and think its not too difficult to learn,   I will practice on my own and a couple of friends, but this wont take too long to do.  I have seen many do's and don'ts and seem many recommended methods. 

Daz, I did not know how some go about there business, so when a customer calls you, do you drop everything to go and clean it?   I would just fit it into my round order and give them a start date,  Is this not how window cleaners do this?  I would not want to keep darting from one side of the town to another.   

yes and no, - it will be your biz to run as you see fit - bear in mind you are a "service" - be bolsie with customers if you wish but at this stage I'd be flexible and just clean them - as you build up start slotting them into groups/asreas - some just clean 'roughly' four or eight weekly or monthly - I have my rounds set on 4 or8 weekly with next clean date that we stick to so round 1 ( village a ) is cleaned on a Monday - we return there four weeks later on a Monday  round 2 (village b) is a Tuesday etc..
work your rounds as it best suits you

Darran
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk

Mike Banks

« Reply #53 on: June 13, 2019, 06:08:51 pm »

Yes , your attitude towards setting up a business. I find it quite unbelievable that you like the look of window cleaning so your going to go and get some customers before you’ve even practiced cleaning a window  ::)roll 
You might think it’s easy but it’s not to begin with and takes years to build a profitable round. Like NK said , there’s a lot of people who think they can fast track to the big bucks but it ain’t possible, your going to be very very slow to begin with .
Offering special deals is the kind of thing people who undercut you say which isn’t a good start either

Thats fine to have your opinion on things, I dont mind that, just like others who have provided me with valuable advice.     But I rather you didn't make sarcastic pee taking remarks that are not contstructive.

As said before, I can get equipment and practice within a week.  Then take it slowly on a few customers at a time,    I pick things up really quickly.   I learned to surf, play the piano and to be a good photographer by self teaching, research and utube.   I am sure window cleaning will be fine with my method of learning.

Mike Banks

« Reply #54 on: June 13, 2019, 06:12:06 pm »

It's no good looking through rose tinted glasses, you seem to think that it will all magically come to you - hopefully you will make a success of things - but we have seen many a noob on here - you just get a sense of who's going to make and those that won't - take heed of the 'negative' comments because at the end of the day they may save you a lot of time money and heartache

yes and no, - it will be your biz to run as you see fit - bear in mind you are a "service" - be bolsie with customers if you wish but at this stage I'd be flexible and just clean them - as you build up start slotting them into groups/asreas - some just clean 'roughly' four or eight weekly or monthly - I have my rounds set on 4 or8 weekly with next clean date that we stick to so round 1 ( village a ) is cleaned on a Monday - we return there four weeks later on a Monday  round 2 (village b) is a Tuesday etc..
work your rounds as it best suits you

Darran

Thanks, I will take note of this.

robbo333

« Reply #55 on: June 13, 2019, 06:19:08 pm »
Hello.  I am starting out in window washing and just started my research.

I think it will be a good move for me,  as it looks good, and hope to build a round up in a few months.  Is this possible?  I have some money set aside to buy a second hand van with a  system built in.  I have seen a few on ebay.  Would this be the right thing to do? or is it better to get the van some place else?

Thanks.

Mike

Welcome to the weird and wonderful world that is window cleaning.

Personally, I don't think you have done any research, you have just come on here and ask questions, in the hope that it will give you all the answers you need.

When I started researching, I spent about 6 months using the search facility on this forum, looked at every YouTube video I could find and then begged days out with window cleaners so I could learn the practicalities of the job.
Then I asked questions (because the answers would make some sense).

Unfortunately this is not the job you think it is.
I also understand you have had some negative comments.
You will get negativity from customers...so get used to it.

Personally I would say:
Go away and do some proper research.
Don't go offering services that you can't fulfil.
Spend some time with a window cleaner.
If you are really serious, do your research thoroughly.
Then come back and ask questions.

PS
If you feel slightly upset by negative comments then don't even bother considering window cleaning.
You will have to deal with Rsoles every day.
Good luck and best wishes
Robbo

"Thank you for calling: if you have a 1st floor flat, mid terraced house, lots of dogs, no parking, no side access, or no sense of humour, please press hold!
For all other enquiries, please press1"

Dave Willis

« Reply #56 on: June 13, 2019, 06:27:28 pm »
Have you got 30,000 leaflets printed already? Will you be doing a welcome pack?

deeege

« Reply #57 on: June 13, 2019, 06:53:04 pm »
Where are you based Banksy?
"....and it's lend me ten pounds, I'll buy you a drink, and mother wake me early in the morning."

Smudger

« Reply #58 on: June 13, 2019, 07:19:18 pm »

Thats fine to have your opinion on things, I dont mind that, just like others who have provided me with valuable advice.     But I rather you didn't make sarcastic pee taking remarks that are not contstructive.

As said before, I can get equipment and practice within a week.  Then take it slowly on a few customers at a time,    I pick things up really quickly.   I learned to surf, play the piano and to be a good photographer by self teaching, research and utube.   I am sure window cleaning will be fine with my method of learning.

What sort of photography do you do ?
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk

Stoots

« Reply #59 on: June 13, 2019, 08:00:19 pm »
Build, refine, build, refine, build, refine

it never ends