Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

NIck Warren

Advice required
« on: June 05, 2019, 04:21:00 pm »
I recently had my carpets cleaned. ONe was brand new and did not require cleaning but I agreed to have it protected.

The bill (including VAT) was £170 . It is 12 sq metres. The contractor claims, I quote: he groomed the protector through the carpet and applied a coating on top.

The anti stain protector we use is an expensive but durable product (not retail) to give you maximum protection to keep the carpet maintained especially as you rent the accommodation out.

Is £140 + VAT reasonable for this or is he taking the p?

Jonathan Evans

Re: Advice required
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2019, 04:39:35 pm »
Hi Nick it is hard to tell to be honest. Providing they carried out the work and added a protector then I would say it is near the top end of charges but not by any means taking the p.

Presumably you asked for a quote before agreeing to the work?

We all charge slightly differently depending on various factors for example location.

My charge for that service would have been a little cheaper but only by £20 or so.
Also it depends on the protector used and carpet fibre.

I wouldn't say it is a RIP off and if they quoted before doing the work it definitely isn't.

On the other hand if they quoted £70 then presented a bill of £170 I would be a bit annoyed.
Hope this helps

NIck Warren

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2019, 05:02:23 pm »
Thanks, Any other views, It still seems pricey to me and he is being evasive.

john martin

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2019, 07:06:08 pm »
There is quite a good chance he used about  £ 10 of protector , but youl never know .
You gotta get a price first and make sure your happy with it .

Mike Halliday

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2019, 07:25:06 pm »
£140 is not an over the top price for a  carpet clean and a protection of a second carpet
Mike Halliday.  www.henryhalliday.co.uk

NIck Warren

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2019, 07:38:20 pm »
Protection only. It was a new carpet and not cleaned.

edward coller

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2019, 04:20:01 pm »
I clean and protect and my price would differ on a straight protection if I was / was not giving a 4yr warranty. Do you have a warranty, and whwre in the country are you, very rural ,central London..Simon

The Carpet Cleaning Pro

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2019, 08:25:29 am »
Protection only. It was a new carpet and not cleaned.

When protecting even a new carpet it should be thoroughly vacuumed and acidic rinsed first before the protector is applied.

Simon Gerrard

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2019, 02:46:40 pm »
I think you may have been taken for a ride.
Personally I will only ever apply protector in a very particular set of circumstances and yet many others offer it across the board, regardless of the type and colour of the carpet, which to me is just plain wrong.

Protectors are often oversold and there is a very good chance that your carpets may not have needed it in the first place and will provide no better stain resistant qualities than those the carpet may already have.

What exactly did you get. Was any cleaning done? Was the new carpet heavily vacuumed prior to application  of the protector?

Nobby

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2019, 08:57:27 am »
“I recently had my carpets cleaned. ONe was brand new and did not require cleaning but I agreed to have it protected.”

Craig, he had carpets cleaned but one was brand new and was only treated.

To treat 16 sq metres of new carpet for £170 is expensive.

neil 47

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2019, 09:31:11 am »
I don’t see anything wrong with the price .

And if he did
1. By how much £40
2. What will knowing that achieve
3.will he demand £40 back then your into court proceedings that £40 then becomes hard earned .
In future ask the question before having the work done
IICRC

Dave_Lee

« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2019, 04:44:22 pm »
I agree with what Simon says, it is over the top pricing, unless he had to drive 50 miles or so to apply it.
Some guys are just greedy, you can't give it away, but you can charge fairly. You could say that if the customer accepts your price no matter how over the top it is, then he's not being ripped off, but that is simply taking advantage of his ignorance, that's not smart or clever it's unethical.
Dave Lee, Owner of Deepclean Services
Chorley Lancs. Est 1980.
"Pay Cheap -You get Cheap - Pay a little more and get something Better."

Stoots

« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2019, 07:20:33 pm »
I take it you agreed to the price before hand

In any industry there will be someone who charges peanuts and some who charges way over the top but i assume you have a brain and a mouth to decide who you wanted to use ?