This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

James Styles

New here looking to start up
« on: March 19, 2019, 06:00:25 pm »
Hi guys I’m looking for some advice here as I’m kind of in a predicament.

Im looking at starting up my own business as a window cleaner but from researching on here things are a lot more complicated then I thought.

I was originally looking at getting ladders but to get roof racks fitted to my car is very expensive due to my model of car and it being 3 door, would be looking at £100ish, so I then thought I’d be better off just going the wfp route to then find out all about having to use pure water which is more hassle and expense.

I have thought about using a long pole in traditional cleaning way but I’m not 100% sure I could do a top job which I want to do to keep customers and gain work. I could buy a soft roof rack (to use ladders) which is mainly used for surf boards so I’m not totally confident they would be safe.

what would your advice be on which way to go, my budget is £300, any help massively appreciated.

dazmond

Re: New here looking to start up
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2019, 06:21:14 pm »
Hi guys I’m looking for some advice here as I’m kind of in a predicament.

Im looking at starting up my own business as a window cleaner but from researching on here things are a lot more complicated then I thought.

I was originally looking at getting ladders but to get roof racks fitted to my car is very expensive due to my model of car and it being 3 door, would be looking at £100ish, so I then thought I’d be better off just going the wfp route to then find out all about having to use pure water which is more hassle and expense.

I have thought about using a long pole in traditional cleaning way but I’m not 100% sure I could do a top job which I want to do to keep customers and gain work. I could buy a soft roof rack (to use ladders) which is mainly used for surf boards so I’m not totally confident they would be safe.

what would your advice be on which way to go, my budget is £300, any help massively appreciated.

are you currently working?if so id wait until i had a bit more money together first.....also you need to find out the tds of your tap water...if its below 100 then DI only will be easier to purify your water....

forget ladders,wfp is the way to go.....your cheapest route will be a backpack on a foldaway trolley,a few 25L barrels and a 22 ft CLX pole from gardiners......also trad gear(14in squeegee,Tmop and scrims,bucket with a lid,detergent,scraper,etc)....
price higher/work harder!

nathankaye

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2019, 06:22:03 pm »
If 300 is your budget i would recommend going the trad route until youve built a round and have more spare income to expand. Though it might be very tight with that budget.
Ladders, roof rack, bucket, scrims, bucket on belt and then choice of tools. Pulex are perhaps the cheapest to begin with but they are also very good.  18inch channel with handle and an 18inch T bar with water wells and a good 18inch sleeve.
Then practice, practice and practice and go canvass.

For water fed, you need a tds meter to check your meter. Then you will know if you should go DI route or Reverse Osmosis route.
Then go gardiners for your poles n brushes n pole hose.  Pure freedom has best price on a microbore main hose and then you need a reel, battery, pump and control panel.
Or
Diy trolley, but even DIY will be under 200 just for trolley alone.

So going by your current finances or budget you said, then i think you know which route is only available at the moment.
However if your able to wait until funds allow, then wfp would be the best route.

All the best in the new venture
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

Shrek

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2019, 06:28:13 pm »
Hi James - which area are you in? Maybe someone close to you on here might have a few spares you could have?

dazmond

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2019, 06:30:13 pm »
If 300 is your budget i would recommend going the trad route until youve built a round and have more spare income to expand. Though it might be very tight with that budget.
Ladders, roof rack, bucket, scrims, bucket on belt and then choice of tools. Pulex are perhaps the cheapest to begin with but they are also very good.  18inch channel with handle and an 18inch T bar with water wells and a good 18inch sleeve.

For water fed, you need a tds meter to check your meter. Then you will know if you should go DI route or Reverse Osmosis route.
Then go gardiners for your poles n brushes n pole hose.  Pure freedom has best price on a microbore main hose and then you need a reel, battery, pump and control panel.
Or

So going by your current finances or budget you said, then i think you know which route is only available at the moment.

dont take any notice of this james........ ;D

do NOT go the ladder route.....and certainly dont buy a 18inch squeegee,its far too long....a 14in channel will be perfect....

a backpack and foldaway trolley with cost you around £130-£140,no need for reel,battery,pump,control panel as its all in the backpack,just use extra long pole hose for now when starting off.......

Spruce

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2019, 06:39:05 pm »

Or

do NOT go the ladder route.....and certainly dont buy a 18inch squeegee,its far too long....a 14in channel will be perfect....

a backpack and foldaway trolley with cost you around £130-£140,no need for reel,battery,pump,control panel as its all in the backpack,just use extra long pole hose for now when starting off.......

You forgot the price of a pole and processing pure water.
Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

James Styles

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2019, 06:44:26 pm »

Or

This sounds good, do you have any links to equipment in that range that’s decent/reliable.

P @ F

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2019, 06:46:05 pm »
What car do you have
I'm so lazy I'm getting tired of it !

James Styles

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2019, 06:47:51 pm »
Thanks for the replies guys, so from my understanding using a long pole that’s not water fed on upstairs windows could not work?
I’d rather not go the ladder route to be honest as it’s carrying them around and getting roof racks on my car is about £100 anyways.
I could stretch to 400 for equipment if it’s gonna set me up properly for wfp.
Where would I go for pure water to just buy some barrels? How much is it.

dazmond

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2019, 06:48:04 pm »

Or

You forgot the price of a pole and processing pure water.

i was merely stating you can get a cheap trolley going the backpack route NOT the price of all the stuff he ll need for WFP spruce! ;D

James Styles

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2019, 06:48:29 pm »
What car do you have

Fiat punto active 3 door 09 plate

Shrek

« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2019, 06:49:33 pm »
Hi James - which area are you in? Maybe someone close to you on here might have a few spares you could have?

P @ F

« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2019, 06:50:29 pm »
Is this a wind up or what 👍😂

dazmond

« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2019, 06:51:05 pm »

Or

This sounds good, do you have any links to equipment in that range that’s decent/reliable.

gardiner backpacks are good.....BUT id buy a tds meter first and check your tap water!

Dave Willis

« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2019, 06:51:25 pm »
A Fiat’s no good, you need a Mondeo.

dazmond

« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2019, 06:58:00 pm »
i think the fiat puntos payload is around 190kg.....so he ll be able to get half a barrel of pure water in the back without it being overweight.......

P @ F

« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2019, 06:58:18 pm »
I have a pinto like that stuck in the back of my mother in laws garage , from memory you would get 3  barrels in that and a backpack that’s your lot .
I think you need a rethink

robbo333

« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2019, 07:01:42 pm »
I've never driven one, so I can't really comment.
"Thank you for calling: if you have a 1st floor flat, mid terraced house, lots of dogs, no parking, no side access, or no sense of humour, please press hold!
For all other enquiries, please press1"

P @ F

« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2019, 07:03:17 pm »
You don’t want to

Spruce

« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2019, 07:08:33 pm »

Or

We both know that Daz but James might not.  :)

Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)