Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

John Mart

Sterling battery to battery chargers
« on: March 19, 2019, 07:17:22 pm »
We had a battery die about two weeks ago with a Sterling charger. Anyway, changed the battery and when the engine started the battery went up to 14.2v so we assumed all good. Then today the new battery died too. According to operator even with the engine running the battery wouldn’t operate the pump.

Has anyone got any thoughts? I’m assuming the charger is knackered even though less than a year old.

Ooooooog

Re: Sterling battery to battery chargers
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2019, 09:22:06 pm »
We had a battery die about two weeks ago with a Sterling charger. Anyway, changed the battery and when the engine started the battery went up to 14.2v so we assumed all good. Then today the new battery died too. According to operator even with the engine running the battery wouldn’t operate the pump.

Has anyone got any thoughts? I’m assuming the charger is knackered even though less than a year old.

If the battery is reading 14.2v with the engine running, is that not a reading of the alternator?

Spruce

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2019, 10:37:09 pm »

If the battery is reading 14.2v with the engine running, is that not a reading of the alternator?

14.2 v at the leisure battery means that the alternator is charging. I just have an ordinary VSR (voltage sensing relay) and when the leisure battery is fully charged the float charge is 14.5v.

On my system,  charging at 14.2 v would mean my leisure battery was low on charge.
Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

Spruce

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2019, 10:47:15 pm »

We had a leisure battery 'fail' half way through a big job miles from base. We ran the van's engine for an hour and a half to finish the job. The alternator supplied adaquate power for 2 Shurflo pumps. Within 5 miles of the drive home the battery was showing fully charged on my volt/amp meter. The next day the battery lasted 1/2 an hour before my pump died.
I ordered a new leisure battery which solved the problem. 

I presume the controllers are showing the voltage of 14.2v. If this is right then there should be enough power to drive a couple of pumps provided all the connections are good.

You need to try to see where the problem is. I would bench charge the battery overnight, let it stand for a while to let the battery settle and then take a voltage reading.
Without the engine running activate one of the pumps through the hose reel and take voltage reading. If the voltage of the battery drops quickly to 10.6v then the battery is at fault.

Most motor factors have a load tester and they will be able to check to see if the battery is questionable or not. Its not a Lion battery by any chance is it?

John Mart

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2019, 04:59:25 am »

We had a leisure battery 'fail' half way through a big job miles from base. We ran the van's engine for an hour and a half to finish the job. The alternator supplied adaquate power for 2 Shurflo pumps. Within 5 miles of the drive home the battery was showing fully charged on my volt/amp meter. The next day the battery lasted 1/2 an hour before my pump died.
I ordered a new leisure battery which solved the problem. 

I presume the controllers are showing the voltage of 14.2v. If this is right then there should be enough power to drive a couple of pumps provided all the connections are good.

You need to try to see where the problem is. I would bench charge the battery overnight, let it stand for a while to let the battery settle and then take a voltage reading.
Without the engine running activate one of the pumps through the hose reel and take voltage reading. If the voltage of the battery drops quickly to 10.6v then the battery is at fault.

Most motor factors have a load tester and they will be able to check to see if the battery is questionable or not. Its not a Lion battery by any chance is it?
No, a Halford’s one. And it’s the brand new one.

My suspicion is that the charger has failed. Anyway it’s on bench charge and we’ll monitor over the next few days.

John Mart

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2019, 05:00:26 am »

That’s what I thought.

Simon Trapani

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2019, 06:47:54 am »
We’ve got two of those Sterling chargers. Are you sure it’s not a corroded/loose connection? Where was the voltage taken from? The controller? And are there any lights on the Sterling?

John Mart

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2019, 07:20:59 am »
We’ve got two of those Sterling chargers. Are you sure it’s not a corroded/loose connection? Where was the voltage taken from? The controller? And are there any lights on the Sterling?
I'm not technical, but my first thought was what you suggest. I'll have a look later today. The voltage is from the controller.

Smudger

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2019, 07:41:41 am »
if your not getting the pump going when the engine is running my thoughts would be that you have either lost an earth connection or blown a fuse

Darran
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk

John Mart

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2019, 07:56:47 am »
if your not getting the pump going when the engine is running my thoughts would be that you have either lost an earth connection or blown a fuse

Darran
That's the bit that doesn't make sense to me. Thanks for the suggestion, I'll have a look.

John Mart

« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2019, 11:21:20 am »
So, having had a look myself. No power to the charger at all. I've checked everything I can access easily. Fuses in the charger, checked engine battery connection but can't access fuse there. I'm getting an auto electrician to look at the weekend and bench charging the battery in the meantime. But two batteries totally fried. Had I looked myself I'd have seen there was no charge.  ::)roll

Spruce

« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2019, 05:11:53 pm »
So, having had a look myself. No power to the charger at all. I've checked everything I can access easily. Fuses in the charger, checked engine battery connection but can't access fuse there. I'm getting an auto electrician to look at the weekend and bench charging the battery in the meantime. But two batteries totally fried. Had I looked myself I'd have seen there was no charge.  ::)roll

Best practice is to fit an inline fuse after the van's starter battery as close to the battery as possible on the positive cable. The other fuse should be near the leisure battery positive terminal. If there is no power to the Battery to battery charger then it will most likely be that fuse.

John Mart

« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2019, 06:14:22 pm »

Best practice is to fit an inline fuse after the van's starter battery as close to the battery as possible on the positive cable. The other fuse should be near the leisure battery positive terminal. If there is no power to the Battery to battery charger then it will most likely be that fuse.
The one by the battery is fine, but there’s one screwed into the fuse box that needs a decent socket set to access.