Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

John Mart

Pricing
« on: February 14, 2019, 06:28:21 am »
I was just on Facebook and someone was saying how they underpriced a job “especially as it was in a row filled with millionaires”.

I’ve never quoted more because of the car on the drive or because of the perceived wealth of the owner, I just quote what I think is the right price.

So do you look at the car on the drive and charge accordingly?

Phil J

Re: Pricing
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2019, 06:36:53 am »
I always charge a fair price unless of course, I don't want the job. Then I charge double!

deeege

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2019, 06:44:10 am »
I don’t charge more depending on what car is on the drive, but I will charge more for the same style property depending on what part of town it is in.

Where I am a house can be worth upto double that of the same house just because it’s on the ‘right’ side of the river so I charge accordingly.
"....and it's lend me ten pounds, I'll buy you a drink, and mother wake me early in the morning."

james peters

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2019, 07:14:48 am »
I don't price any different.
big house, and nice car , doesn't always equate to a lot of surplus.
sometimes it equates to  "living beyond their means "   
today I am leafleting rural areas not to far away in the Brecon beacons national park
I will be pricing a little more for these to include the distance

Slacky

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2019, 07:16:09 am »
I was just on Facebook and someone was saying how they underpriced a job “especially as it was in a row filled with millionaires”.

I’ve never quoted more because of the car on the drive or because of the perceived wealth of the owner, I just quote what I think is the right price.

So do you look at the car on the drive and charge accordingly?

No. Thats plainly idiotic. Some peoples manner in how they run their business is below stupid.

Don Kee

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2019, 07:35:59 am »
I charge more on a council estate than I would on a “rich estate” just because I can.
Works really well actually.

Incidentally, does anyone have any second hand pumps for sale?

֍Winp®oClean֍

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2019, 08:50:20 am »
I tend to stay away from affluent areas and wealthy people with expensive cars on their drive- it's not good for business!! ::)roll
Comfortably Numb!

nathankaye

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2019, 09:51:19 am »
Isnt that how commercial retail works as well, though.  For instance, the likes of tesco. Each store can set its own price within a margin of the prices governed by tesco so it fits with the economy of its location.   Or what about council tax banding etc etc thr list goes on n on.

So yes i will and have priced according to the area where im working.  Not so much as to what car or cars they drive.
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

Dry Clean

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2019, 10:19:09 am »
Isnt that how commercial retail works as well, though.  For instance, the likes of tesco. Each store can set its own price within a margin of the prices governed by tesco so it fits with the economy of its location.   Or what about council tax banding etc etc thr list goes on n on.

So yes i will and have priced according to the area where im working.  Not so much as to what car or cars they drive.

I wonder does Slacky ever get tired of being right.

John Mart

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2019, 11:38:32 am »
I've always been consistent in pricing and when you employ you obviously have to be, but I do notice that in some towns, as I've gone further afield, I get some shock at our prices although I don't think £18 for a semi is remotely excessive for the south of England.

chris turner

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2019, 12:09:24 pm »
A lady once offered me a mars bar to give her front fascia a "quick wipe". Seriously.

I scoffed at the idea, "No way I replied,  that's at least 2 mars bars work right there".

NWH

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2019, 12:24:06 pm »
Funny enough I do know someone that actually does this,it makes no sense to me but If we are all honest it must cross people’s mind when they pull up to quote.
Like I’ve said before I price on what I want for a particular job not per window or time there within reason,if the job was £40 in my head if it was going to cost me another £40 job getting there and getting back it would be 80 and so on,if you price per window and don’t factor things  like travelling in etc  you’ll kill yourself on price.
I’ve made this mistake many times over the years with pricing,I know a lot of people who price per window when I look at a certain job they may be doing or have done if I’ve ever added up pricing per window it’s always come in way under why I’d charge.
If you price what you’re happy with and not per window etc you should always be happy enough ,IMO the worst way to price is by the hour how many windows can you clean in an hour,a huge amount when I last looked lol.

Slacky

« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2019, 12:41:44 pm »
I priced a place up once where they had a flash car on the drive.

Turns out I was at Dazmond's gaff but his brother was visiting.

AuRavelling79

« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2019, 05:16:34 pm »
I priced a place up once where they had a flash car on the drive.

Turns out I was at Dazmond's gaff but his brother was visiting.

Was it to pay his £2000 back?
It's a game of three halves!

Frankybadboy

« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2019, 05:27:51 pm »
i quote everything at £0

just cause i can  ;)

jonboywalton75

« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2019, 06:42:36 pm »
I look at  number and awkwardness of windows,
Access and whether the customer seems genuine (that takes the nouse of an older guy like me😊)
If it's a very dirty job and the person seems hesitant I price high for 1st clean.
If I really want the job I'll price at the  price level of my current work, per hour.
If I'm not really fussed I'll price very high.
Also it depends on the mood I'm in.
If not good I'll go ridiculously high, sometimes that works😂
I'm grumpy so it depends what day of the week it is as well.
If its in certain parts of town I just say "it's not my patch" 😂😂😂

robbo333

« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2019, 06:59:48 pm »
When I price, my main focus is the customer, not the property.  :o
"Thank you for calling: if you have a 1st floor flat, mid terraced house, lots of dogs, no parking, no side access, or no sense of humour, please press hold!
For all other enquiries, please press1"

Stoots

« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2019, 10:09:58 pm »
I work in two city's 25 miles apart, I price higher in the more affluent one as i can get higher prices there simple as that.

Ooooooog

« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2019, 07:18:13 am »
I think

How long will it take
How far is it from other work

Generally just think of a number and add a bit on.

dazmond

« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2019, 07:28:46 am »
I look at  number and awkwardness of windows,
Access and whether the customer seems genuine (that takes the nouse of an older guy like me😊)
If it's a very dirty job and the person seems hesitant I price high for 1st clean.
If I really want the job I'll price at the  price level of my current work, per hour.
If I'm not really fussed I'll price very high.
Also it depends on the mood I'm in.
If not good I'll go ridiculously high, sometimes that works😂
I'm grumpy so it depends what day of the week it is as well.
If its in certain parts of town I just say "it's not my patch" 😂😂😂

i agree...your most sensible post for a while mate.... ;)

the only exception is i NEVER price ridiculously high to any potential customer...im not into ripping people off...a fair price for a good job is sufficient for me....
price higher/work harder!