Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Mike Halliday

Text v pictures in leaflets
« on: September 15, 2018, 04:52:50 pm »
Years ago I read a marketing book about how leaflets with lots of text outperformed leaflets with little text but lots of pictures, did anyone else read this fact?

Having a conversation on Facebook on this subject and want to reference my facts, i’m Sure it was Dan Kennedy or maybe joe polish
Mike Halliday.  www.henryhalliday.co.uk

Robin Ray

Re: Text v pictures in leaflets
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2018, 11:09:47 pm »
Joe Polish is really just a rehash of Dan Kennedy. They are both all about informational advertising, giving people a reasons to call you via education and repeated calls to action. They both say the same thing really, just Joe Polish was more carpet cleaning specific.

Mike Halliday

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2018, 07:29:52 am »
Since I got Audible i’ve Realised how much marketing information is a rehash of the the original master of marketing and salesmanship.

I listen to marketing & motivation books while I put out leaflets  and i’m Constantly hearing the same things being told a different way.

DB

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2018, 05:24:51 pm »
They are still trying to reinvent the wheel then Mike  ;D

benny d

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2018, 07:23:48 pm »
Any advertising works, as long as you advertise.
I tried all the Joe polish stuff. I have all the 100 A4 binders full of stuff. Cost a fortune.... The bottom line is, forget about all that , just get your name out there, and be professional when quoting or cleaning.
"If i'm not in action, I'm in traction"
Voted 397th best looking carpet cleaner in West Sussex 2015. Up 10 from last year...

neil 47

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2018, 05:40:50 pm »
The pink flyer was mainly txt , th thinking is that educated/wealthier  people looking to have their furnishings cleaned will read it all so be more likely to use you .

When I’m quiet I seek attention once I get it I stop .

If I want more work I look for more attention

And I tend to look for it in large cheaply available platforms
IICRC

Mike Halliday

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2018, 07:26:02 am »
Neil, it was in the context of the pink flyer that I remember the facts about text on flyers and marketing.

The problem is so many individuals get their information from people who don’t know what they are talking about,  but they repeat that information, then someone else repeats them,  then someone else repeats them.......slowly it’s said so often it starts to become the popular belief. It’s like this about how leaflets should be laid out....... lots of white space, bullet points and pictures.

people who have never put a leaflet  out In their lives talking like they are experts because they have read a blog about it.

robbo333

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2018, 12:19:55 pm »
Mike

As an aside, have you considered setting up a small 2m x 2m stand in your local Tesco's foyer and targeting Tesco customers.

https://www.promotionalspace.com/tesco
"Thank you for calling: if you have a 1st floor flat, mid terraced house, lots of dogs, no parking, no side access, or no sense of humour, please press hold!
For all other enquiries, please press1"

Mike Halliday

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2018, 04:10:30 pm »
I have worked supermarkets in the past when I sold double glazing,  at the time it was expensive and only suited high value sales like double glazing that had average order value In The £1000s

The amount of  jobs  you would need for carpet cleaning wouldn’t  make it viable  unless it has got much cheaper.

But I have just sent an enquiry to the website you listed to get a price

DB

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2018, 07:12:50 pm »
Quite a lot of  the Supermarkets  rent out Rug Doctors... our local one does with the strap line ' clean your carpet for ONLY £10.00 per room'

Cleanevangelist

« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2018, 09:26:59 am »
Mike

The type of text i think your talking about is the education copy. what this seeks to do is "people dont know what they dont know"  ;D

it can be done it two ways one is the direct response method where you put an irresistible offer with a expiry day (pink flyer). or it can used as a way to filter out types of people. JP consumer guide is a great example.

By educating people on stuff they should know will separate yourself from price hunter and carpet cleaners that just market on price. when you just use price that is the only thing your giving prospect to judge you on, I like the way it was explained to me. That if your chatting up a girl you dont expect the best outcome with just a one liner. far more effective to talk them into that perfect outcome  ;)

what really interesting about the consumers guide is that it was designed to save people money on advertising. to pay for all that text on any media would cost loads but just using the bullet points you drive them to a recorded message, which people liked because no salesman. or a web page when the cost of that next is next to zero.  this works with leaflets as well.

we use a riso to print our leaflets and fold to booklet which is a great looking format for lots of text, looks like a mini newsletter. riso's are a great investment for leaflets, its what printers use anyway. plus you can pick them up for just a couple hundred on ebay, if you get one thats been in a church or low use environment they print perfect, stay away from ones that have been used in a printers. it save you loads on printing. All the FT guys had these for their pink flyers along side a folding machine to fold the a3

Respects

Ian Harper