Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Richard Flower

:o whats the standard charge? i blindly quoted £40, 4 hours later 27 window frames cleaned....tested my patience. Used toothbrush cloth wipes and ubix2000.

alank

Re: cleaning the insides of upvc double glazing windows!!! urggggh
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2018, 06:30:55 am »
Frames cleaned using thompsons upvc restorer or similar i charge £10 per frame they can take a while to do right. If i put the pole down and stop cleaning windows i want to make at least the same amount plus a bit more depending on the ball ache factor ;D

Spruce

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2018, 07:27:32 am »
:o whats the standard charge? i blindly quoted £40, 4 hours later 27 window frames cleaned....tested my patience. Used toothbrush cloth wipes and ubix2000.

I've only been asked to do it once and it also took me ages. I didn't even have a toothbrush as the job was sprung on me. I also totally under quoted.

I have thought about how to do it quickly as ours at home need doing, but the only way I see it being done is manually with small  brushes. You used a toothbrush and I would also add a small dish washing brush to this list.

I'm not sure I would like to use a flow of water as I don't like the idea of all that dirt inside the frame below the opener.
Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

alank

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2018, 07:34:50 am »
I used wet wipes first on the inside of the openers gets rid of a lot of the dry crud before you start then a wipe over the rest of the frame before you apply any restorer it speeds the job up a bit  ;D

M & C Window Cleaning

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2018, 08:37:28 am »
Had  chap in a one bed flat ask me to do his insides frames included. He was a smoker and everything was sticky yellow. Charged him £50 then.  He was happy because it all came up real nice but I hated doing it even though I was paid well for my time. Right messy job! 
He had it done couple of times about ten years ago.  If he asked me now I'd probably double it
We have a choice! We can do one or the other, the opposite, both, or neither depending on which way the wind is blowing.

Smudger

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2018, 08:42:40 am »
had several of these - usually when someone has moved into a new house and opened the window to see the channels are full of dirt and spiders webs

horrid job - £10 a window id say is about right - i use a small 1" paint brush and hoover to remove all the loose stuff then spray white vinegar or TFR solution around the frame and wipe off with cloths

Darran
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk

dazmond

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2018, 08:50:17 am »

simple solution.......dont offer inside window cleaning...works for me.......

once i lost my last inside cleaning job i vowed not to take any of this work on again(apart from the odd old dears kitchen window).

i dont do inside conny roof cleaning either...sod that.....or gutter clearing,or builders cleans..... :)

these are all jobs that crush my spirit so decided to refuse them....
price higher/work harder!

dazmond

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2018, 08:55:36 am »
Had  chap in a one bed flat ask me to do his insides frames included. He was a smoker and everything was sticky yellow. Charged him £50 then.  He was happy because it all came up real nice but I hated doing it even though I was paid well for my time. Right messy job! 
He had it done couple of times about ten years ago.  If he asked me now I'd probably double it

id tell him to do one!! ;D ;D

i did a guys inside windows once many years a ago when i was a newbie and he was a heavy smoker/drinker and it took me around 2 hours for a tenner! >:( horrible job...never AGAIN.... ;D

deeege

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2018, 10:27:53 am »
I took on a inside conservatory when I was a newbie, priced it from looking in from outside. Turned up to do the job on a hot summers day to find out it had been used as a smoking shelter for a good 10 years or more. It was rancid and a deep yellow colour. Job took nearly 8 hours and I was literally dripping with sweat the whole time.

Needless to say I no longer take on inside conservatory roofs.
"....and it's lend me ten pounds, I'll buy you a drink, and mother wake me early in the morning."

zesty

« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2018, 11:55:34 am »
Did it once a couple of years ago, never again, horrible job.

If asked, I’d just say ‘sorry I dont provide that service due to time restraints blah blah blah’

I got to a point about a year ago where I stopped doing jobs I hated, and I feel much much better for it! I hate doing conny roofs and gutters/facias cleaning. So I charge an absolute wack when asked. If they say no, which most do, I don’t care, but if they say yes, then atleast I’m getting a nice hefty sum. Win win...

I realised this is my livelihood and my business, so I can charge what I want and turn down what I want, nothing worse than saying yes to everything with a bad price.

dazmond

« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2018, 06:16:31 pm »
Did it once a couple of years ago, never again, horrible job.

If asked, I’d just say ‘sorry I dont provide that service due to time restraints blah blah blah’

I got to a point about a year ago where I stopped doing jobs I hated, and I feel much much better for it! I hate doing conny roofs and gutters/facias cleaning. So I charge an absolute wack when asked. If they say no, which most do, I don’t care, but if they say yes, then atleast I’m getting a nice hefty sum. Win win...

I realised this is my livelihood and my business, so I can charge what I want and turn down what I want, nothing worse than saying yes to everything with a bad price.

it took me many years to adopt this attitude......now being financially better off with enough easy window cleaning work i turn most add on work down....

P @ F

« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2018, 08:19:54 pm »
Im 100% with Daz on this one , all i do is straight forward window cleaning now , no add ons at all , it took years for me to see the light too !
If i cant pole it then it stays dirty , or another poor soul does it  ;D
I'm so lazy I'm getting tired of it !

p1w1

« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2018, 12:45:38 am »
Yep i'm the same, haven't cleaned a conservatory roof or any upvc for about 2 years now. It started when i went through some problems with my back and was off work for nearly 5 months . I focused solely on window cleaning  afterwards ( as it's much easier physically) and best thing i ever did.
If you have employees then its a different matter  but  imo although you charge more for these add ons in the long run your not really better off financially if you have to go and quote 1 off upvc cleaning (thats based on having a full round where there is window cleaning due every day of the week)

Marc Stock

« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2018, 08:07:25 am »
I do insides, just the glass though.

If they want me to go round and pick out black mould and ciccy tar. Its a flat rate £45h/r charged in one hour increments.

I avoid con roofs. Unless i know its an easy job or the customer is happy with a quick clean to remove chunks of loose moss. Id rather demolish a conservatory and pay the customer for the privilege; horrible things.

Dont do gutter clearing cos the money is poo.

Stick to windows.

Shrek

« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2018, 08:17:31 am »
I usually completely mess the price up for insides and it ends up taking me a lot longer than I expected.
I clean a bungalow inside and out , even though they clear all window sills and pull the blinds up , the inside takes longer but I charge the same amount for the insides as the outsides

dazmond

« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2018, 01:26:38 pm »
i cleaned my girlfriends windows yesterday outside and inside.shes sacked her window cleaner now as he s so unreliable and did a crap job(he used to charge her £4-50 for a 4 bedroom house too!).... ::)roll

TBH honest he seemed like a decent bloke just clueless in regards to window cleaning as a business.....

i quite enjoyed it as i dont often clean insides these days.i do my own around twice a year(i have blinds).my missus was well chuffed....shes never had windows so clean.... 8)

Shrek

« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2018, 01:29:36 pm »
i cleaned my girlfriends windows yesterday outside and inside.shes sacked her window cleaner now as he s so unreliable and did a crap job(he used to charge her £4-50 for a 4 bedroom house too!).... ::)roll

TBH honest he seemed like a decent bloke just clueless in regards to window cleaning as a business.....

i quite enjoyed it as i dont often clean insides these days.i do my own around twice a year(i have blinds).my missus was well chuffed....shes never had windows so clean.... 8)

How long did it take you lol

dazmond

« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2018, 01:32:37 pm »
I usually completely mess the price up for insides and it ends up taking me a lot longer than I expected.
I clean a bungalow inside and out , even though they clear all window sills and pull the blinds up , the inside takes longer but I charge the same amount for the insides as the outsides

if your going to clean insides then allow for at least double the time(or triple)as there is often more glass on the insides too(doors with glass etc)and they often expect you to clean these too on BOTH sides and they then say..."oh can you just go over the mirror in the hallway?"etc......

say you charge £10 for the outside windows then charge £30 for insides then your covering yourself for the extra time.....

i just refuse as i cant be bothered (no matter how much their prepared to pay)

dazmond

« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2018, 01:35:26 pm »

How long did it take you lol

around 90 mins as i also did the f/s/g down the side of the house and the summer house windows and mirrors (both in the garden and in the house.)... ;)

Shrek

« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2018, 02:39:48 pm »

if your going to clean insides then allow for at least double the time(or triple)as there is often more glass on the insides too(doors with glass etc)and they often expect you to clean these too on BOTH sides and they then say..."oh can you just go over the mirror in the hallway?"etc......

say you charge £10 for the outside windows then charge £30 for insides then your covering yourself for the extra time.....

i just refuse as i cant be bothered (no matter how much their prepared to pay)

That is so true, I have a job that takes 25 mins outside and about 40 mins inside - and that’s not even the whole house, the insides I do are floor to ceiling windows on the south facing side of the house. Bloody nightmare when the sun is right in my face