Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Shrek

Re: Speed does not effect quality: just saying!
« Reply #40 on: May 18, 2018, 09:25:04 pm »
Part 2 - grab pole and hose , instead of walking past all the front and side windows, raise pole and start on front bedroom windows, work your way round to the back bedroom windows, wipe drips and then lower pole and start on windows underneath- work your way round to the front.
Raising and lowering the pole only once , Iv found this method a lot faster than my old way

Have you timed it mate? Or this just based on perception?

I will have to do a few experiments with my technique to see it I can squeeze some more speed out.

I'm fast enough but always good to be faster.

Iv not timed it pal but since Iv been doing it , I seem to finish every job faster than the past. Maybe Iv just reached that stage where all my jobs seem small because I know the windows of each property like the back of my hand and fly through work.
To me , it just makes sense too - your going to pull the hose to the back of the house anyway so why not clean the top windows whilst your doing it . I swear I’m faster doing it this way , il have to do a house twice to time myself lol

John Mart

« Reply #41 on: May 18, 2018, 09:32:33 pm »
Some nonsense talked on here, there are two types of speed, 1 a skilled operator woking at an optimum level and 2 the guy who's more interested in getting home early than doing a decent job, Nathan told us which one he is.
Pricing is a different issue, if the customer is not prepared to pay a for top qua;lity service then there is nothing wrong with offering a level of service that fits that price, you can make money either by numbers or high priced quality and both work.
On my higher priced work I tend to take a slower more cautious approach and there is certainly a better overall quality than the
cheaper quicker work.

Me too. Employees have no such concerns though. On some jobs I have to tell them how long to take.  ;D

Are you still “on the glass” or have you managed to get to the stage of not having to go out now?
Agree whole heartledly about the employee thing, as much as they can talk a good game, they’ll never “care” as much as you do!
Doing about 2 days a week I guess. I could stop now and employ but I prefer to keep the cash.  ;D

I have a target of about 200 more customers over the next 2 months and then I’ll employ a third full time guy and that’s it. I’m never cleaning another window.  :)

Phil J

« Reply #42 on: May 18, 2018, 09:47:02 pm »
It's all a load of b******s, no job is the same. Some you can knock out in no time and others take time, so in essence your still spending 10/15/20 minutes on a 3 bed semi regardless of rinse bars, hot water, 2, 4, 6 jets or any other gizmos, and god forbid some poor old bugger wants to pour their heart out to you. What you gonna do then, put 'em on the stopwatch? Just get on with the job and stop banging on about how much you make per hour nobody gives a flying F**k!

nathankaye

« Reply #43 on: May 18, 2018, 11:25:07 pm »
It's all a load of b******s, no job is the same. Some you can knock out in no time and others take time, so in essence your still spending 10/15/20 minutes on a 3 bed semi regardless of rinse bars, hot water, 2, 4, 6 jets or any other gizmos, and god forbid some poor old bugger wants to pour their heart out to you. What you gonna do then, put 'em on the stopwatch? Just get on with the job and stop banging on about how much you make per hour nobody gives a flying F**k!

Not going on about how much i make per hour and if this thread or vid aint for you, then so be it. However, as answered above these variables are just that, variables.   On one street I have a lovely old dear who does like a chat and thats fine as ive cleaned her house for 15yrs, but she gets done as the last job of the day. Its about working smarter  and trying to adjust things that you can make a difference on. For instance, shreks post about cleaning al upstairs work so hes not wasting time or energy putting pole up n down several times per house.   This will obviously make a difference.
When i was trad cleaning upstairs bay windows, some cleaners would put the ladder up three times and tackle a side at a time and then put the ladder up for the single window on the same facing wall.  I would tackle that bay in two moves trad instead due to ladder positioning
Or i clean som semis only seperated by a drive and so i would clean both upstairs fronts first so technically treating it as one large house.  😂 yep i know its not rocket science n perhaps everyone does it like that, but then i wouldnt expect someone who has been wfp for some years not to be putting the pole up n down needlessly either.   Its not going to be making huge time savings, but over the course of a day / week it will be a noticeable difference.
In addition the thread is how these little changes allow you to be perhaps quicker than a  different person cleaning the same house and because one is quicker he or she is being told that quality must suffer. So on the vid i showed the windows which i cleaned over 4weeks prior using the same technique s and if quality was poor the windows would have been in a much worse state or at least any spotting for instance would have been clearly seen.
But feel free to look through my vids on the u tube channel as I have shown vids where ive cleaned a window, and showed it virtualy dry so you canbsee the results yourself ( especially the one cleaning vents)
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

nathankaye

« Reply #44 on: May 18, 2018, 11:47:31 pm »
Very Interesting Nathan.

I thought I was quick, but I'm much more thorough than in your video.

Do you really not rinse at all on maintenance cleans?

I clean similar to you but followed by a rinse. I would have rinses the door as well.

If how you clean does a good enough Job I could perhaps not need to take on another employee! I shall have to give it a go and see if I get any complaints.

Thats why i put the apology for sound on the video, because I was using a bluetooth headset that should have picked up my speech better. When i first angle the brush it was to show the cascade of water from the spray bar.  You can make it out when i clean the dow stairs front middle window and/or other videos where i show the spray of water.  I also explain how with such an heavy flow of water, im rinsing and agitating at the same time.

Ok.

I will have to have to give a rinse bar a try certainly looks fast.

What about when you don't use a to see bar is technique the same?

Side note, near the end of the video where Im cleaning the bird poop off the window (whilst using one hand, so no criticism on technique as it would obviously be slightly different if the pole was held in two), you can the cascade of water washing away the mark as im agitating it as well.

You may have seen this clip, Gomo its mostly showing hot water but notice the water flow from the six jets i particularly like to use.

https://youtu.be/v0CeiiO5qoM

But yes, i slightly change my technique as the jets are in the middle of the brush compared to the rinse bar hitting the top of my bristles.
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

dazmond

« Reply #45 on: May 19, 2018, 12:18:28 am »
on topic im also a "splash and dasher".ive been WFP 8 years this month and you get good at it when you do it every day.....i cant remember the  last time i had a complaint....ive certainly not had one this year yet..... :)

im also quick on 6-8 weekly cleans too........hot water and a high flow helps esp at this time of year.my water is at 50-60c!great for melting bird muck,snail trails and little bee/fly/pollen spots off the glass with ease....

when i go to work.....i work.....i dont waste time fannying around......same when i go to the gym.im there to work out not stand around chatting/staring at a phone/ipod like the majority of people do... ::)roll

Going by your previous posts back before you had a shiny new van and £5.5k immersion heater to justify you certainly didn't
give the impression of being a knock them out quick headless chicken.
Thats the problem when you let your expenses run away from you, they have to be paid for by extra work.

i  havent got an immersion heater sean.ive got a diesel webasto heater...and it wasnt 5.5k either! ;)(£4.5k with fitting,VAT,split charge relay smart charger,frost stat,batteries etc)its worth every penny IMO....

also i only work up to 30 hours a week mon -fri...less hours than i used to yet i earn more money.....its about being efficient in your work and being organised..... 8)
price higher/work harder!

Dry Clean

« Reply #46 on: May 19, 2018, 07:59:39 am »
on topic im also a "splash and dasher".ive been WFP 8 years this month and you get good at it when you do it every day.....i cant remember the  last time i had a complaint....ive certainly not had one this year yet..... :)

im also quick on 6-8 weekly cleans too........hot water and a high flow helps esp at this time of year.my water is at 50-60c!great for melting bird muck,snail trails and little bee/fly/pollen spots off the glass with ease....

when i go to work.....i work.....i dont waste time fannying around......same when i go to the gym.im there to work out not stand around chatting/staring at a phone/ipod like the majority of people do... ::)roll

Going by your previous posts back before you had a shiny new van and £5.5k immersion heater to justify you certainly didn't
give the impression of being a knock them out quick headless chicken.
Thats the problem when you let your expenses run away from you, they have to be paid for by extra work.

i  havent got an immersion heater sean.ive got a diesel webasto heater...and it wasnt 5.5k either! ;)(£4.5k with fitting,VAT,split charge relay smart charger,frost stat,batteries etc)its worth every penny IMO....

also i only work up to 30 hours a week mon -fri...less hours than i used to yet i earn more money.....its about being efficient in your work and being organised..... 8)

There isnt a member on this forum that doesnt know you have a diesel heater Dazmond, a status symbol isnt much of a status symbol if you dont keep reminding people you have it. lol
I earn more money for less hours as do most who have been in this game for a while, its a mixture of better skill levels knowing
the round inside out and more confidence when it comes to pricing, splash and dash merchants tend to be guys who either
havent got a clue or just dont give a toss, good luck to them if they get away with it but I certainly wouldnt want to be classed
as one of them.

dazmond

« Reply #47 on: May 19, 2018, 09:03:47 am »
i dont give a toss sean...... ;D

andyM

« Reply #48 on: May 19, 2018, 09:54:46 am »
There isnt a member on this forum that doesnt know you have a diesel heater Dazmond

One of the Plebs

NWH

« Reply #49 on: May 19, 2018, 10:01:38 am »
It isn’t a status symbol at all I had to use cold for 3-4 days as my circulation pump packed up after 12 years,water was back to being a constant 50-55 degrees I went to scrubbing with cold back to just gliding the brush over the glass with hot water. 50-60% less effort and more work done. I’ve said it before the hot knockers won’t have used it.

dazmond

« Reply #50 on: May 19, 2018, 10:37:42 am »
we all know what seans like.....he could start an argument in an empty room! ;D

chill....enjoy the weather lads......(both hot/cold and slow and fast WFP users) 8)

Dry Clean

« Reply #51 on: May 19, 2018, 10:48:56 am »
It isn’t a status symbol at all I had to use cold for 3-4 days as my circulation pump packed up after 12 years,water was back to being a constant 50-55 degrees I went to scrubbing with cold back to just gliding the brush over the glass with hot water. 50-60% less effort and more work done. I’ve said it before the hot knockers won’t have used it.

I never said it was a status symbol for everybody, Dazmond knows what he's doing so for him its a status symbol, Nathan aside do you ever wonder why the more expensive the heating the more its effectiveness gets exaggerated.

Don Kee

« Reply #52 on: May 19, 2018, 10:55:08 am »
I’ve used hot in the past...I was so quick i had to have 9months of physio to recover from the whiplash.

These days we stick with cold as I don’t want the “have you had an injury at work?”  scenario with the employee if he gets whiplash as well.
I do notice that the two of us clean the same amount using cold as I did on my own using hot, so it’s definitley faster!

Ruddy HSE!

Dry Clean

« Reply #53 on: May 19, 2018, 10:59:10 am »
we all know what seans like.....he could start an argument in an empty room! ;D

chill....enjoy the weather lads......(both hot/cold and slow and fast WFP users) 8)

There will always be people willing to sell you magic wands and snake oil, all I do is point that out, that said I wont deny that I do enjoy a good argument/debate.

Dry Clean

« Reply #54 on: May 19, 2018, 11:10:00 am »
Don't get me wrong if I was having to clean this everyday then hot water (the hotter the better) would be a must have, the problem is the windows I clean tend to be more like the ones Nathan shows when explaining why its so easy to clean quick.

NWH

« Reply #55 on: May 19, 2018, 01:26:20 pm »
Honestly if it wasn’t any better-quicker I wouldn’t bother having it I’m not into having things for next to no benefit,I’ve had stuff to do last week when hot water is much more efficient but I had to use cold,I really noticed the difference between tbh I personally would always use hot water throughout the year when I leave a job on a hot day the windows are basically dry,if they came home they wouldn’t know I’d just flooded there frames and glass.

CSJ89

« Reply #56 on: June 06, 2018, 01:44:36 am »
Totally agree.