This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Marc Stock

Classic snob one
« on: May 09, 2018, 04:14:27 pm »
Hehe i had to chuckle to myself.

Was doing a new clean this morning, and a lady approaches me "can you come and have a look at our windows, our window cleaner is ill and hasn't cleaned us for over a year"

"yes of course, let me just finish up this window and i will have a look for you" i replied.

So a few moment later, i'm in her back garden, i have looked over the house, its not a big place, but detached, nicely presented, and I give her the price" £52

:o shocked she was, "that's a bit on the steep side isn't it? " "well, not really " i said its very competitive, i can assure you that (i am on a push to get work right now).

So i ask her, how often did the last window cleaner come? "every two months or so" she said. "Ok", i said and how much did he charge you (i'm thinking its got to be  something like  £12, considering her reaction earlier)  "£40. "£40? i said.....confused...that's not much less is it, and how long ago did he last do them? "its got to be a year" (yeah right, the windows were green in some places). Anyway, we had a laugh, and she said will you do a deal, "i can do them for £45" i said, but that's only because i have another property opposite you and i can do them both together. Ok deal done... i will see if i can do the 1st clean this Friday or next Wednesday..".no worries" she said.

Anyway thats that, i carry on with my day, to get home to a VM message.

"oh hello, we spoke to one of your window cleaners, marc i think is his name... (it is just me love  ::)roll) and we were given a price to have the window cleaned, and we booked in for a clean?....well...i'm afraid we are going to have to cancel as we feel that the price is too high for the sort of work being done, so if you can please cancel our clean..and repeat we do not wish to continue any services with StockClean"

So i call her up, "hello mrs xxx" its marc from stockclean, you wanted to cancel the booking? "yes...its just too much money to pay for window cleaning" She said.

I say" But i gave you a discount, down to £45, are you telling me that £5 extra on window cleaning is really squeezing your budget that much?" She started to stutter and stumble" yes but we don't want to commit to a regular window cleaner"

So i say" But you come to me today saying that your current window cleaner is ill," "Yes" she said, he's ill and cant come every time we call him to come and clean the windows.  So i continue" so let me get this right...you want a window cleaner that is the same as £40 or less, and one that will come and clean as and when you ask him to?" Yes" She said I replied" Good luck with that one, mrs XXX  ::)roll can i be frank? "yes" she said pensively. "  Id say that he suffers from selective flu" "selective flu?" Yes...i said, he feels ill only when you call him! " she went very quiet lol.

What are these people like?

Don Kee

Re: Classic snob one
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2018, 04:22:59 pm »

Was doing a new clean this morning, and a lady approaches me "can you come and have a look at our windows, our window cleaner is ill and hasn't cleaned us for over a year"

"yes of course, let me just finish up this window and i will have a look for you" i replied.

So a few moment later, i'm in her back garden, i have looked over the house, its not a big place, but detached, nicely presented, and I give her the price" £52

:o shocked she was, "that's a bit on the steep side isn't it? " "well, not really " i said its very competitive, i can assure you that (i am on a push to get work right now).

So i ask her, how often did the last window cleaner come? "every two months or so" she said. "Ok", i said and how much did he charge you (i'm thinking its got to be  something like  £12, considering her reaction earlier)  "£40. "£40? i said.....confused...that's not much less is it, and how long ago did he last do them? "its got to be a year" (yeah right, the windows were green in some places). Anyway, we had a laugh, and she said will you do a deal, "i can do them for £45" i said, but that's only because i have another property opposite you and i can do them both together. Ok deal done... i will see if i can do the 1st clean this Friday or next Wednesday..".no worries" she said.

"oh hello, we spoke to one of your window cleaners, marc i think is his name... (it is just me love  ::)roll) and we were given a price to have the window cleaned, and we booked in for a clean?....well...i'm afraid we are going to have to cancel as we feel that the price is too high for the sort of work being done, so if you can please cancel our clean..and repeat we do not wish to continue any services with StockClean"

So i call her up, "hello mrs xxx" its marc from stockclean, you wanted to cancel the booking? "yes...its just too much money to pay for window cleaning" She said.

I say" But i gave you a discount, down to £45, are you telling me that £5 extra on window cleaning is really squeezing your budget that much?" She started to stutter and stumble" yes but we don't want to commit to a regular window cleaner"

So i say" But you come to me today saying that your current window cleaner is ill," "Yes" she said, he's ill and cant come every time we call him to come and clean the windows.  So i continue" so let me get this right...you want a window cleaner that is the same as £40 or less, and one that will come and clean as and when you ask him to?" Yes" She said I replied" Good luck with that one, mrs XXX  ::)roll can i be frank? "yes" she said pensively. "  Id say that he suffers from selective flu" "selective flu?" Yes...i said, he feels ill only when you call him! " she went very quiet lol.

Why did you feel the need to ring her after she’d left you a message cancelling?

She cancelled, you hadn’t cleaned it yet....nothing lost, so who cares?

‘Pushing for work’ or not, don’t take it so personally dude.

Stoots

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2018, 04:28:20 pm »
Nice one.

I have a similar customer. Started out as agreeing an 8 weekly but it soon turned out that she only wanted me at the drop of a hat as and when.

She would text and call me expecting me to drop everything.

That was a nice detached out in the sticks and I must admit I danced to her tune for a while when I needed the work.

Not anymore though she was shocked when I refused last time. She's never been back in touch  :D

Marc Stock

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2018, 04:29:25 pm »
Oh dont worry im not bothered.   ;D

Slacky

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2018, 04:32:52 pm »
Unprofessional.

Slacky

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2018, 04:33:21 pm »
But, I get it.   :)

John Mart

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2018, 04:36:34 pm »
I’ve given up being professional in anything other then day to day dealings. If someone is being an arse to me I point it out to them. No turning the other cheek. That said I wouldn’t have called this woman back. It’s ........ unprofessional.  ;D

Marc Stock

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2018, 04:58:41 pm »
For the record, i called her back to confirm the cancellation. But it was one of those moments.. you know it happens.

Slacky

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2018, 05:06:51 pm »
I’ve given up being professional in anything other then day to day dealings. If someone is being an arse to me I point it out to them. No point turning the other cheek. That said I wouldn’t have called this woman back. It’s ........ unprofessional.  ;D

FTFY

Arse!

Shrek

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2018, 05:20:19 pm »

For the record, i called her back to confirm the cancellation. But it was one of those moments.. you know it happens.

Really?  I’m sure she said it 3 times that she was cancelling  :D

.... that was unprofessional  ;D

dazmond

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2018, 05:47:56 pm »

£52 to clean a medium size detached house......i dont blame her for cancelling before you ve done the first clean!even at £45 its a rip off....... ;D

....at least dick turpin wore a mask.....!! ;D

sometimes we can be a bit too greedy with pricing....(i know i have sometimes)and the result is no job to clean(or them cancelling after the first clean)......
price higher/work harder!

SB Cleaning

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2018, 07:13:37 pm »
If it was a house opposite to one i was cleaning regular it wouldn't bother me if she called when she wanted them doing...especially at that sort of money.

jonny thompson

« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2018, 07:16:04 pm »
You may call her a snob I would call you a bloody rip off , £52 I’m glad she saw sense and cancelled

Shrek

« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2018, 07:23:25 pm »
You may call her a snob I would call you a bloody rip off , £52 I’m glad she saw sense and cancelled

Hes down south Jonny - 1 bed flats cost half a million squid 🦑. His price is probably right for his area, if he was a rip off , I don’t think he’d be growing his business as fast as he is

davids3511

« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2018, 07:38:54 pm »

£52 to clean a medium size detached house......i dont blame her for cancelling before you ve done the first clean!even at £45 its a rip off....... ;D

....at least dick turpin wore a mask.....!! ;D

sometimes we can be a bit too greedy with pricing....(i know i have sometimes)and the result is no job to clean(or them cancelling after the first clean)......
Your one to talk @ £80.00 an hour ;)
http://www.cleanitup.co.uk/smf/index.php?topic=211790.msg1894172#msg1894172

jonny thompson

« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2018, 07:54:02 pm »
Yep rip off is the wrong phrase, bloody expensive though

chris turner

« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2018, 08:00:46 pm »
Those prices are high. I do a lot of work in Marcs neck of the woods and the average prices are £20 - £25 for standard detached.
£52 for a one off I can understand, not for a bi monthly though.
Pass her my details Marc, il do it for £35 ;D

Bungle

« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2018, 08:05:46 pm »
I'm getting confused. Is Marc Stock the same bloke as nathankaye?
We look at them, they look through them.

Shrek

« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2018, 08:22:07 pm »
Those prices are high. I do a lot of work in Marcs neck of the woods and the average prices are £20 - £25 for standard detached.
£52 for a one off I can understand, not for a bi monthly though.
Pass her my details Marc, il do it for £35 ;D

I thought £20 was a standard 3 bed semi ???

Stoots

« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2018, 09:15:04 pm »
How big exactly was this house marc?

£52 is a lot of money, my biggest house is £30 lol and thats massive