This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Marc Stock

Re: Classic snob one
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2018, 09:28:37 pm »
It wasnt £52. It was £45.

I have houses that i charge £250 for and these houses, just the front hallway is as big as four houses stacked together in my road.

£45 is not much, and is a bit on the cheaper side imo, in addition to that her old windy charged her £40.

Anyway this isnt a debate about prices. Its about the funny messer story i posted to start with, you know...an antidote? Kinda the point of this forum i thought to let off steam and share customer stories.

nathankaye

« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2018, 10:08:25 pm »
Haha, just to confuse Bungle (cheeky g@t)

The potential customer did say the other cleaner charged £40 and that was way over a yesr ago. So going by that, £45 or even £50 odd shouldnt have been that much of a shock.
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

Slacky

« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2018, 10:09:27 pm »
How big exactly was this house marc?

£52 is a lot of money, my biggest house is £30 lol and thats massive

Really?

Funny innit. Im in the middle of a prolonged discussion about cleaning some old bats windows down here regularly, 2 monthly. Ive quoted her £225 for the outsides and £400 for insides. I won't budge,  she wants the lot doing for the £400.00.

The best she can do is get a quote from another company.  I'd rather walk than be dictated to about my prices.

nathankaye

« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2018, 10:16:45 pm »

Really?

Funny innit. Im in the middle of a prolonged discussion about cleaning some old bats windows down here regularly, 2 monthly. Ive quoted her £225 for the outsides and £400 for insides. I won't budge,  she wants the lot doing for the £400.00.

The best she can do is get a quote from another company.  I'd rather walk than be dictated to about my prices.

I dont mind the odd haggle on prices, as a nation we dont generally do it. But ive seen people get great deals in electrical stores and especially in the motor trade.
However some people take it too far. If they tried and still got the same price, they should either accept it or look else where. Its that simple or at least it should be  ;D
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

Stoots

« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2018, 10:31:42 pm »

Really?

Yeh, where I work there are not many big houses. 95% of my round is 3 bed semis and 3-4 bed detacheds.

I do one house at £30, one at £25, a couple at £20 but the majority are £10-15 range.

The £30 quidder takes about 30-40 mins.
It's probably a  750k house, but a 750k house round here is probably a £2m house in your area, I don't know...

But then again a two bed terraced can be had for 60k near me so it's all relative.

KS Cleaning

« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2018, 10:47:12 pm »
It wasnt £52. It was £45.

I have houses that i charge £250 for and these houses, just the front hallway is as big as four houses stacked together in my road.

£45 is not much, and is a bit on the cheaper side imo, in addition to that her old windy charged her £40.

Anyway this isnt a debate about prices. Its about the funny messer story i posted to start with, you know...an antidote? Kinda the point of this forum i thought to let off steam and share customer stories.
Perhaps she frequents ‘ the old biddies forum ‘ and has been telling everyone on there about a desperate window cleaner who won’t take no for an answer😂

G Griffin

« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2018, 01:13:43 am »
I'm getting confused. Is Marc Stock the same bloke as nathankaye?
Nearly.
They were conjoined twins, separated at birth and both ended up with uneven nipples.
They way to tell them apart is Marc wears an helmet and Nathan wears sunglasses.
Both for our benefit really  :-\.   
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

G Griffin

« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2018, 01:35:41 am »
Anyway this isnt a debate about prices. Its about the funny messer story i posted to start with, you know...an antidote?

I've got an anecdote about that.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

Pete Thompson

« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2018, 02:19:05 am »
I think you badgered her a little bit when all she wanted was to cancel. Why argue about it? Life’s too short, personally I wouldn’t have wasted my time or energy.

And for the record, a high price is NOT a rip off. If you quote a price for a service, and the customer accepts the price, and you deliver the service promised, then nobody has been ripped off.

If you’re managing to get good prices for your service, that is to be commended not criticised. The only ones who need criticism are the cheap brigade who work for beer money.

dazmond

« Reply #29 on: May 10, 2018, 08:24:46 am »
Hehe i had to chuckle to myself.

Was doing a new clean this morning, and a lady approaches me "can you come and have a look at our windows, our window cleaner is ill and hasn't cleaned us for over a year"

"yes of course, let me just finish up this window and i will have a look for you" i replied.

So a few moment later, i'm in her back garden, i have looked over the house, its not a big place, but detached, nicely presented, and I give her the price" £52

:o shocked she was, "that's a bit on the steep side isn't it? " "well, not really " i said its very competitive, i can assure you that (i am on a push to get work right now).

So i ask her, how often did the last window cleaner come? "every two months or so" she said. "Ok", i said and how much did he charge you (i'm thinking its got to be  something like  £12, considering her reaction earlier)  "£40. "£40? i said.....confused...that's not much less is it, and how long ago did he last do them? "its got to be a year" (yeah right, the windows were green in some places). Anyway, we had a laugh, and she said will you do a deal, "i can do them for £45" i said, but that's only because i have another property opposite you and i can do them both together. Ok deal done... i will see if i can do the 1st clean this Friday or next Wednesday..".no worries" she said.

Anyway thats that, i carry on with my day, to get home to a VM message.

"oh hello, we spoke to one of your window cleaners, marc i think is his name... (it is just me love  ::)roll) and we were given a price to have the window cleaned, and we booked in for a clean?....well...i'm afraid we are going to have to cancel as we feel that the price is too high for the sort of work being done, so if you can please cancel our clean..and repeat we do not wish to continue any services with StockClean"

So i call her up, "hello mrs xxx" its marc from stockclean, you wanted to cancel the booking? "yes...its just too much money to pay for window cleaning" She said.

I say" But i gave you a discount, down to £45, are you telling me that £5 extra on window cleaning is really squeezing your budget that much?" She started to stutter and stumble" yes but we don't want to commit to a regular window cleaner"

So i say" But you come to me today saying that your current window cleaner is ill," "Yes" she said, he's ill and cant come every time we call him to come and clean the windows.  So i continue" so let me get this right...you want a window cleaner that is the same as £40 or less, and one that will come and clean as and when you ask him to?" Yes" She said I replied" Good luck with that one, mrs XXX  ::)roll can i be frank? "yes" she said pensively. "  Id say that he suffers from selective flu" "selective flu?" Yes...i said, he feels ill only when you call him! " she went very quiet lol.

What are these people like?

£52 to clean a medium size detached house......i dont blame her for cancelling before you ve done the first clean!even at £45 its a rip off....... ;D

....at least dick turpin wore a mask.....!! ;D

sometimes we can be a bit too greedy with pricing....(i know i have sometimes)and the result is no job to clean(or them cancelling after the first clean)......
Your one to talk @ £80.00 an hour ;)
http://www.cleanitup.co.uk/smf/index.php?topic=211790.msg1894172#msg1894172

thats not every hour though mate ;D ;D

its 2 x£40 period properties right next to each other (3 storey sash windows).i just happen to be able to clean both within an hour.i need my 47 footer for some of the high windows......

im only pulling marcs leg anyway........ ;) :)

the woman in your link you put up has now cancelled after the first clean......too expensive..... ::)roll
price higher/work harder!

Marc Stock

« Reply #30 on: May 10, 2018, 11:53:26 am »
Dazmond, your a diamond.
 8)

davids3511

« Reply #31 on: May 10, 2018, 11:53:35 am »
Hehe i had to chuckle to myself.

Was doing a new clean this morning, and a lady approaches me "can you come and have a look at our windows, our window cleaner is ill and hasn't cleaned us for over a year"

"yes of course, let me just finish up this window and i will have a look for you" i replied.

So a few moment later, i'm in her back garden, i have looked over the house, its not a big place, but detached, nicely presented, and I give her the price" £52

:o shocked she was, "that's a bit on the steep side isn't it? " "well, not really " i said its very competitive, i can assure you that (i am on a push to get work right now).

So i ask her, how often did the last window cleaner come? "every two months or so" she said. "Ok", i said and how much did he charge you (i'm thinking its got to be  something like  £12, considering her reaction earlier)  "£40. "£40? i said.....confused...that's not much less is it, and how long ago did he last do them? "its got to be a year" (yeah right, the windows were green in some places). Anyway, we had a laugh, and she said will you do a deal, "i can do them for £45" i said, but that's only because i have another property opposite you and i can do them both together. Ok deal done... i will see if i can do the 1st clean this Friday or next Wednesday..".no worries" she said.

Anyway thats that, i carry on with my day, to get home to a VM message.

"oh hello, we spoke to one of your window cleaners, marc i think is his name... (it is just me love  ::)roll) and we were given a price to have the window cleaned, and we booked in for a clean?....well...i'm afraid we are going to have to cancel as we feel that the price is too high for the sort of work being done, so if you can please cancel our clean..and repeat we do not wish to continue any services with StockClean"

So i call her up, "hello mrs xxx" its marc from stockclean, you wanted to cancel the booking? "yes...its just too much money to pay for window cleaning" She said.

I say" But i gave you a discount, down to £45, are you telling me that £5 extra on window cleaning is really squeezing your budget that much?" She started to stutter and stumble" yes but we don't want to commit to a regular window cleaner"

So i say" But you come to me today saying that your current window cleaner is ill," "Yes" she said, he's ill and cant come every time we call him to come and clean the windows.  So i continue" so let me get this right...you want a window cleaner that is the same as £40 or less, and one that will come and clean as and when you ask him to?" Yes" She said I replied" Good luck with that one, mrs XXX  ::)roll can i be frank? "yes" she said pensively. "  Id say that he suffers from selective flu" "selective flu?" Yes...i said, he feels ill only when you call him! " she went very quiet lol.

What are these people like?

£52 to clean a medium size detached house......i dont blame her for cancelling before you ve done the first clean!even at £45 its a rip off....... ;D

....at least dick turpin wore a mask.....!! ;D

sometimes we can be a bit too greedy with pricing....(i know i have sometimes)and the result is no job to clean(or them cancelling after the first clean)......
Your one to talk @ £80.00 an hour ;)
http://www.cleanitup.co.uk/smf/index.php?topic=211790.msg1894172#msg1894172

thats not every hour though mate ;D ;D

its 2 x£40 period properties right next to each other (3 storey sash windows).i just happen to be able to clean both within an hour.i need my 47 footer for some of the high windows......

im only pulling marcs leg anyway........ ;) :)

the woman in your link you put up has now cancelled after the first clean......too expensive..... ::)roll
Ah Daz I know you're only yankng his chain, same as I'm doing to you. In my book you get as much as you can for every job.

NWH

« Reply #32 on: May 10, 2018, 06:29:06 pm »
No 1 rule is don’t do a job cheaper just because you have 1 opposite,what happens if you lose 1 you are then left with a reduced job. I would always get what you want for a said job,once you take a job on there’s nothing worse than doing a job for less than it should be.

nathankaye

« Reply #33 on: May 10, 2018, 08:13:16 pm »
No 1 rule is don’t do a job cheaper just because you have 1 opposite,what happens if you lose 1 you are then left with a reduced job. I would always get what you want for a said job,once you take a job on there’s nothing worse than doing a job for less than it should be.

Absolutely agree. On other forums its ridiculous how many people are giving two prices that they would charge. The first being what they truly want and the second is if they had many on the street to do. Crazy!
Ild sooner have ten jobs at good prices rather than ten jobs at reduced price just to have ten houses on one street
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

NWH

« Reply #34 on: May 10, 2018, 08:41:41 pm »
The key is to have enough work so when’s you quote you are quoting what you want minimum but usually you go slightly over,I have a few in a culdesac they are 45 each the 3 jobs take 1.2 hours. It makes no difference to me what they think about how much I’m getting an hour in that little close  the point is they are paying 45 each not 135 each,it’s easy to think I’ll come down because you have a few ive done this   myself over the years only to be left with 1 if they move etc. Stick to your price it pays in the end.

dazmond

« Reply #35 on: May 10, 2018, 10:33:29 pm »
i have 94 houses on one street and 74 on another....this work is cheaper than less compact work but i still earn well out of it....
price higher/work harder!

Johnny B

« Reply #36 on: May 11, 2018, 12:34:41 am »
Back on topic, reading between the lines I believe Marc 'lost' the customer when he told her that her previous window cleaner only got sick when she phoned him. She may have taken offence to that comment and decided after having a think about it to back out of the deal.

John
Being diplomatic is being able to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

AuRavelling79

« Reply #37 on: May 11, 2018, 07:12:42 am »
Back on topic, reading between the lines I believe Marc 'lost' the customer when he told her that her previous window cleaner only got sick when she phoned him. She may have taken offence to that comment and decided after having a think about it to back out of the deal.

John

Errr ... I think Marc lost the customer when he received a text saying she cancelled - three times.
It's a game of three halves!

Marc Stock

« Reply #38 on: May 11, 2018, 08:22:17 am »
1. She approaches me.
2. She asked for a price.
3. I gave her a price after a bit of haggling for a regular bi monthly window clean, we shook on it smiles and laughs (i don't mind a bit of haggling)
4. She cancels because 'im too expensive' innitally. When i point out that she haggled me down on the price and its only a fiver more than the last guy, whom by the way hasnt been for over a year.
5. It becomes clear she was infact looking for a knuckle dragging oik to come at her beck and call for less than 40 quid as and when she wanted it.
6. I simply called her out on it.

I didnt loose the customer, she never was one in the 1st place.

I thought it was funny, honestly im not bothered by it at all.

֍Winp®oClean֍

« Reply #39 on: May 11, 2018, 01:54:43 pm »
She's just another control freak, you've had a lucky escape Marc!!
Comfortably Numb!