This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

takinatrip

Is a 40 40 worth it?
« on: July 15, 2017, 07:44:49 pm »
Just asking how much of a difference a 40 40 will make over my 300gpd ?
The water pressure here is low so I use a booster which takes it to about 80psi but even with that production rate is painfully slow.
I have fitted new filters and membranes and its still the same. Just looking at a way of speeding up production without breaking the bank.

chris turner

Re: Is a 40 40 worth it?
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2017, 08:05:19 pm »
I started with a 450gpd system. It would generally take around 5-6 hours to fill a 400 litre tank, longer in winter.
My twin 4021 system ( basically a 4040 ) fills my 500 litre tank in 2 hours 15 minutes.
So yes it's much much quicker and well worth the money.

nathankaye

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2017, 08:31:03 pm »
Ive not looked into the 4040 options but would I be right in thinking you dont use the 1/4 piping that makes the 350gpd SSSOOOO slow
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

Spruce

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2017, 08:38:42 pm »
Ive not looked into the 4040 options but would I be right in thinking you dont use the 1/4 piping that makes the 350gpd SSSOOOO slow

Its the membranes that determine the speed of the r/o.  A 350gpd r/o is only going to produce that at perfect water temperature, perfect water pressure and perfect mineral content.
The 'day' is 24 hours and its an American gallon (4 Liters).

A 4040 uses 1/2" piping. It needs a flow rate at the tap of 9 lpm and needs optimum pressure.

If you need a booster pump with a 350gpd you will definitely need one with a 4040.

My 4040 produces 2lpm of pure with 2lpm going to the drain (waste.) Tap water pressure 50psi, no booster, HF5 membrane and water flow rate of 13lpm from the supply tap.

Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

chris turner

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2017, 08:40:15 pm »

1/2 piping on the bigger systems. Changing a 350gpd system to 1/2 piping won't make the slightest bit of difference to water production.

chris turner

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2017, 08:48:22 pm »

Its the membranes that determine the speed of the r/o.  A 350gpd r/o is only going to produce that at perfect water temperature, perfect water pressure and perfect mineral content.

A 4040 uses 1/2" piping. It needs a flow rate at the tap of 9 lpm and needs optimum pressure.

If you need a booster pump with a 350gpd you will definitely need one with a 4040.

My 4040 produces 2lpm of pure with 2lpm going to the drain (waste.) Tap water pressure 50psi, no booster, HF5 membrane and water flow rate of 13lpm from the supply tap.

Spruce do you disconnect your RO from the resin when first switching on your system each day to let the TDs from the RO to drop down?
I seem to be changing resin more often then my calculations suggest I should be. I wonder if its because of the first few minutes of higher TDs water running through the resin whilst the RO settles down to about 9-10 ppm.

Spruce

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2017, 10:30:56 pm »

Spruce do you disconnect your RO from the resin when first switching on your system each day to let the TDs from the RO to drop down?
I seem to be changing resin more often then my calculations suggest I should be. I wonder if its because of the first few minutes of higher TDs water running through the resin whilst the RO settles down to about 9-10 ppm.

I don't tbh Chris.

My son and son in law used to draw water when I wasn't around so I didn't bother teaching them how to do it. For me the most important was having a system that would automatically replenish the water they drew so our IBC tank was always full for the next person. Most times when I came in in the evening, I didn't know if water had been taken or not.

Our water is between 76 and 99ppm from the tap. The r/o takes it down to between 1 and 2ppm. Whilst that is fine for normal day to day window cleaning, I insist that the water we clean with is 000ppm. A 7 liter di vessel lasts about a year before the output goes up to 1, so for me its not really worth the chew on.

I'm also not a good example to follow when it comes to flushing. I think the last flush I did was about a month ago.

Spruce

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2017, 08:57:11 am »
The water pressure here is low so I use a booster which takes it to about 80psi but even with that production rate is painfully slow.
I have fitted new filters and membranes and its still the same. Just looking at a way of speeding up production without breaking the bank.

I had a 450gpd r/o before I replaced it with a 4040.

When I saw how fast the 4040 produced water compared to my 450gpd I had a smile on my face that lasted a long time. I should have done it ages ago as we were always struggling for water. On the odd occasion I didn't have enough for my van as the lads (son and son in law) came first.

nathankaye

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2017, 08:59:47 am »

When I saw how fast the 4040 produced water compared to my 450gpd I had a smile on my face that lasted a long time. I should have done it ages ago as we were always struggling for water. On the odd occasion I didn't have enough for my van as the lads (son and son in law) came first.

Side point, but why dont your son n son inlaw produce their own water?
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

Dry Clean

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2017, 09:24:30 am »

My 4040 takes the tds from around 240ppm down to 2ppm for the first few years and its now sitting around 4ppm, I put my
water through the resin on demand and 11lts lasts well over a year before even going to 1ppm which could still use if I wanted to,
I could even get away without using resin altogether but it costs me peanuts to polish the water of to 000 so why not.

chris turner

« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2017, 09:44:17 am »
My tap TDs is 349, RO brings it down to 10.
7 litre resin vessel lasts about 6 weeks before rising to 1.
It can hold on 1 for a week or 2 before it rises and I normally change it as soon as it hits 3ppm.
I'm forever blaming the quality of resin but no matter what resin I use its the same.

p1w1

« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2017, 09:58:39 am »
I disconnect the ro from the di vessel when I first switch on until the to is producing it's lowest tds. Probably the first 3-5 litres doesn't get used

andyM

« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2017, 10:24:13 am »
I disconnect the ro from the di vessel when I first switch on until the to is producing it's lowest tds. Probably the first 3-5 litres doesn't get used

+1
One of the Plebs

chris turner

« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2017, 10:56:37 am »

I think I need to do the same and see if I can get longer resin life.
I suppose the only reason I don't now is laziness.
It's so easy to pull the van up, run hose to van, switch on system then forget about it for a couple of hours.

p1w1

« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2017, 11:12:45 am »
All i did was put a john guest tap (t piece) just before the di vessel with  to save having to keep actually disconnecting it . My water has a very high tds around 550-600 and when i first switch it on there would be water over 100ppm going through the vessel and gradually coming down to about 17 after a minute or so  (its lowest).

mufcglen

« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2017, 12:46:48 pm »
im double di guys with a tds of around 76ppm and i used 4-500 litres a day, im going through a bag of mb115 every 2 months and been wondering would it be worth my while buying a 4040 ro to fit in the van as i dont want a storage tank at home.
my tap pressure feels average compared to other water flow's ive seen in taps at customers homes etc, how long would it take me roughly to fill about 500 litres up and would it be worth it investing in an 4040 ro over constantly buying a bag of resin every 2 months?

p1w1

« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2017, 01:28:16 pm »
im double di guys with a tds of around 76ppm and i used 4-500 litres a day, im going through a bag of mb115 every 2 months and been wondering would it be worth my while buying a 4040 ro to fit in the van as i dont want a storage tank at home.
my tap pressure feels average compared to other water flow's ive seen in taps at customers homes etc, how long would it take me roughly to fill about 500 litres up and would it be worth it investing in an 4040 ro over constantly buying a bag of resin every 2 months?
If it was me personally i would be switching to 40/40. In the longer term you would be better off with a tds of 76 the membrane is going to get it down to nearly zero. Depending on how fussy you are with having 0 tds you could possibly get away without having to use resin at all and if you did 1 bag would last years. For what you would spend currently over 2 years on resin that would pay for all your set up costs for a 40/40 and probably have a bit of change out of it.

takinatrip

« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2017, 06:57:04 pm »
Thanks for all the replies so my next question is whats the best value system to buy.

p1w1

« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2017, 08:08:38 pm »
Thanks for all the replies so my next question is whats the best value system to buy.
You need to see what your water flow rate is really to make sure a 40/40 is ok (think its something like minimum of 9lt per min but not 100% sure, i have 13lt per min with a booster pump and that works great) you've already stated you have low water pressure so your going to need a booster pump to go with it to get the best results (will be different to your current booster pump, that will be no good for a 40/40 if your using the basic aquatec style booster pump for your 350gpd system. But as to where you get good value 40/40 systems from, there are a few companies that won't sell you what you dont need... Gaps water, Daqua are a couple to mention personally i use Daqua for things like this (great service and usually slightly  cheaper than the others for the same thing).
Best thing to do is give them a ring they will tell you what your going to need. Also take into account 40/40 use half inch fittings so you're going to have to change all your fittings etc.

Spruce

« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2017, 11:18:44 pm »

Side point, but why dont your son n son inlaw produce their own water?

Son in law lived in a flat at the time so getting water from me was the easiest solution. He gave up window cleaning a couple of years ago and sold his van, believing he wasn't suited to being self employed as he didn't have the self discipline needed. He was doing our work which I passed onto another young couple to work for us. They provide their own water.

I started window cleaning when I lost my last job. I spend the first 3 years building up a round and changing it to wfp. So I had all the equipment I needed at home. Son later resigned from his job in 2008 and joined me so he just drew water from the IBC tank I had here.

SIL joined us in 2010 and cleaned with us for 4 years.