This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

colin bird

Knock backs
« on: March 07, 2017, 07:57:59 pm »
Thanks for looking,just lost a Good job worth £ 50  a week,always done a good job,turned up on time no complaints for seven years since I started cleaning,new person turns up ,we're going with another window cleaner,I'm like ok,but gutted,it's a commercial job,and understand that's how things go,,but feel down on my luck,how do you pick yourself up and go again ?

Smurf

Re: Knock backs
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2017, 08:21:30 pm »
Just need to remember it works both ways... You lose some, you gain some as a custard is not for life.
Look on the bright side they could have dump you after the first clean so you've not done so bad. lol

Seriously I know from experience it does hurt to lose decent accounts but you just have to knuckle down and try to replenish the dropouts with better priced work. 

Keep your chin up bud.

Tony dunmall

Re: Knock back
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2017, 08:25:28 pm »
Sorry to here that, It's hard especially when you take pride In your work

I had contract for 18 years with a company we did about 50 of there restaurants each week, then one day a brief email we're going with a national contractor you have weeks notice

But sadly it's life, these days, I thought I should have got a reducnacy offer,  I did jokingly ask, how we respond is down to us us and our personality,
I changed direction sold my commercial round and focused on residential

paul alan

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2017, 08:27:58 pm »
Yep as above!

By my reckoning youve had 18k from this job, i would be made up with that.

My philosophy is always to " fight back" when the going gets tough. Resolve to gain it back.

Rounds are never static in my experience, youve had a good run.

Marc Stock

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2017, 09:26:07 pm »
Thanks for looking,just lost a Good job worth £ 50  a week,always done a good job,turned up on time no complaints for seven years since I started cleaning,new person turns up ,we're going with another window cleaner,I'm like ok,but gutted,it's a commercial job,and understand that's how things go,,but feel down on my luck,how do you pick yourself up and go again ?

Yeah, they seem to come in waves i found. Look back at your round 3, 7 or 10 years ago and see how much it has changed. Its just the life cycle of customers. People get board with people and just want to try someone else, I remember once asking why i had gained a customer that recently joined my round, thier honest answer was 'we just fancied a change'  it reminded  me that we all do it. Our broadband provider, gas supplier, hell even the kebab shop we use, eventually we get board and change.

Stoots

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2017, 09:36:20 pm »
Its a business thats constantly evolving, its easy to look at the day, week or month and think its all going wrong. But look at the big picture where you started  and where you are going, as long as you are constantly moving forward thats all that matters.

I think you need to have an ongoing marketting strategy, whether thats website, fb,  leaflets, canavssing or email campaigns it doesnt matter but always be doing something looking for better opportunitys. Its better to be inundated with enquires that you cant do than doing nothing and having a bad month and panicking.

dazmond

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2017, 09:59:10 pm »
nothing lasts forever.our rounds are built of shifting sand.

any job you have could go at any time(usually death or moving!).i lost a £70 job to a rival in my area the other week.ive replaced it already with other new  jobs without even trying as ive picked up quite a few this last month.

swings and roundabouts.7 years at £50 a week is great.you ve had a good run! :)
price higher/work harder!

G Griffin

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2017, 10:27:24 pm »
how do you pick yourself up and go again ?
Put the news on and see some real strife.
Pop down to the hospital and have a walk round.
There's just two for you.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

David Beecroft

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2017, 10:36:30 pm »
I serviced a Woolworths store for 30 years (seriously), I was as regular as clockwork, NEVER let them down. Then one day I was given notice that they were going for a national contract. It was sickening, I was literally the longest serving person there.
The only consolation was that Woolworths went into administration a month later!!!
I felt really sorry for the national contractor.  ???

jk999

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2017, 10:44:29 pm »
I had a pit contract worth about 16 grand a year had it three years then closed .couple of months after that got a mill contract 90 pounds a month 13 months later closed so everyone that knows about it tells me not to take a contract at the place they work lol .but to be honest people can say what they like about commercial work the company s don't give a crap about you it's the residential that's the bread and butter .90 %of them will remain loyal to you as long as you do your job right

dazmond

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2017, 10:50:32 pm »
yep domestic work is king for loyalty but they will drop you as well from time to time! ;D
price higher/work harder!

KS Cleaning

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2017, 11:16:26 pm »
I had a pit contract worth about 16 grand a year had it three years then closed .couple of months after that got a mill contract 90 pounds a month 13 months later closed so everyone that knows about it tells me not to take a contract at the place they work lol .but to be honest people can say what they like about commercial work the company s don't give a crap about you it's the residential that's the bread and butter .90 %of them will remain loyal to you as long as you do your job right
Bet the pit windows were dirty :P

jk999

« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2017, 11:36:54 pm »
Sure was I only did the pit four times a year it was the houses along side of the pit I had to clean every week they didn't stay clean either I should know because I live in one so I also got paid to clean my own windows lol ☺

nathankaye

« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2017, 09:27:58 am »
(Sorry not read thru all posts so may be repeating)

I had a good thing cleaning four kids carehomes. Had some travelling to do, but they were all done within half a day. Paid 250 a month, always paid me on time. It was great at the time and for some yrs. But these were kids with problems and so many a times things would kick off. I even offered for me to pay to be put on their course about restraining children etc as one false move and your on young offenders list. Any way after some time they dropped me for like 20quid cheaper.
I then realised how cut throat commercial can be and from chatting to others. So now i avoid at all costs, because all can be good and next minute loose it all.
Yet residential, put the work in and build a rapport with your clients and they can stay loyal even if cowboys come along as you have built up trust. I have clients who have been with me for over 15yrs, dispite cheaper prices coming in.
However, hou can still loose clients but in this game its easy to replace residential than it is commercial
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

NWH

« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2017, 10:43:35 am »

I had contract for 18 years with a company we did about 50 of there restaurants each week, then one day a brief email we're going with a national contractor you have weeks notice

But sadly it's life, these days, I thought I should have got a reducnacy offer,  I did jokingly ask, how we respond is down to us us and our personality,
Never mind Tony you never had to clean a pane of that glass anyway m8 eh 😂 lol

NWH

« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2017, 10:52:52 am »
I've said it for years commercial work is a bonus borrowed time springs to mind,if the new broom doesn't like the look of you you'll be gone in a matter of days-weeks. I do a few biggish commercial jobs that I've had for years and I always think well they've paid again that's at least another month in the bag,choosing domestic over commercial has served me well I think the days of cleaning 4-500 quids worth of commercial before mid day has well and truly gone now.

Smurf

« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2017, 11:14:24 am »
I learnt very quickly there is no such thing as customer loyalty in this game. They are only as good as the last paid clean. Anything more than that you should  count as a bonus.

Tony dunmall

« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2017, 12:36:51 pm »

Never mind Tony you never had to clean a pane of that glass anyway m8 eh 😂 lol

LOL over that chapter of my life, domestics only so less pressure and easier way of life.

colin bird

« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2017, 07:30:13 am »

Many thanks for your replies,it's interesting to get feedback,that's what's good about the forum,especially when you work on your own,it's also only other window cleaners that understand how you feel when you get a knock back
On a positive not I went canvassing yesterday for an hour picked up three jobs worth £520  a year,I will soon replace the work lost.
I'm also off on holiday this Friday,so life is good .

Marc Stock

« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2017, 08:12:50 am »
I think the days of cleaning 4-500 quids worth of commercial before mid day has well and truly gone now.

Yep, ditto. Back in the golden days of wfp and commercial it really was a licence to print money.