This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Dave Willis

2KW heating element - anyone got a supplier?
« on: August 11, 2016, 04:27:38 pm »
I think Jonny Vision fitted one to his tank. I can't contact the supplier he used. Anyone know where to get them?

Smudger

A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk

Dave Willis

Re: 2KW heating element - anyone got a supplier?
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2016, 04:47:01 pm »
Tried to order online with them - it came to about £400 at the checkout!!!!
Can't get them on the phone - unrecognised number  >:(

Dave Willis

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2016, 05:00:03 pm »
Sorted - forgot to tick uk box  ::)roll

£15 postage what a joke.

p1w1

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2016, 06:23:05 pm »
are you putting it in an 1000lt ibc tank?

Dave Willis

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2016, 08:39:01 pm »
650L in the van.

tlwcs

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2016, 11:43:14 am »
Why not 3kw Dave?

Dave Willis

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2016, 02:42:35 pm »
Son is an electrician. He says 3kw is pushing it on normal wiring and 13a sockets. Bit of a pain to run a heavier wire and 16a sockets from fuseboard. The plan is to give 2kw a go on normal wiring. Particularly as I know naff all about electrics and don't fancy burning the house down.

tlwcs

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2016, 05:29:08 pm »
Son is an electrician. He says 3kw is pushing it on normal wiring and 13a sockets. Bit of a pain to run a heavier wire and 16a sockets from fuseboard. The plan is to give 2kw a go on normal wiring. Particularly as I know naff all about electrics and don't fancy burning the house down.

Ok.. I had a sparky do the correct  cable from the metre to a new 16amp socket.
My 3kw on a 500 tank gives me 30* over 5 hours.

Jonny 87

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2016, 08:07:45 pm »
I think Jonny Vision fitted one to his tank. I can't contact the supplier he used. Anyone know where to get them?

Sorry I'm late to the post, I've got the same one from one stop bio shop. Still working well.  Your right about the shipping cost being high.

I have it on for 6 hours every night and water is nice and warm. (I think about 30-40 degrees)

Are you going to insulate your tank after? could be easily done diy I think.

I've fitted the artic sockets and cable rated as 16amp as they are and can handle the heat/time better.

Vision Technician / Visual Engineer /  Vision Enhancement Operative /...........................................................OnlyUseMeWFP AkA Jonny the Windy Wesher

Jonny 87

« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2016, 08:13:13 pm »
One mistake I made you can see in this picture from when I first set it up.......

The wiring going from the immersion itself to the blue artic socket....... Change that straight away to artic 16 amp cable.

Now I've got blue artic cable to the socket from outlet, and socket to immersion.

I noticed it was getting a bit warm and started to melt.  ::)roll Must be because I was using 16amp cable all the way till it reached the cable that came with the immersion which is 13amp.

Your son will keep you right though I'm sure. :)

Vision Technician / Visual Engineer /  Vision Enhancement Operative /...........................................................OnlyUseMeWFP AkA Jonny the Windy Wesher

Dave Willis

« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2016, 08:15:52 pm »
Glad you're back.
Did you have a flange nut fitted on the inside? I need to order one but will have to check the thread size.
I might clad it in cylinder jackets or builders insulation. Haven't had time for a really good think. Shouldn't cost much to do.

Jonny 87

« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2016, 08:19:43 pm »
Glad you're back.
Did you have a flange nut fitted on the inside? I need to order one but will have to check the thread size.
I might clad it in cylinder jackets or builders insulation. Haven't had time for a really good think. Shouldn't cost much to do.

I didn't, as mine came with the fitting already installed. But I've seen it done and looks fairly straight forward. Immersion mechanical flange, and sealant. The only difficulty I can see is getting it as low as possible. It should still work well though even if it is just half way.

Builders insulation boards should work really well.

Did you get your hiace sold in the end? Or is the immersion going into your pure freedom set up?

Dave Willis

« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2016, 08:21:06 pm »
I've got a load of Arctic cable and connectors left over from my big gutter vac days.

Dave Willis

« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2016, 08:24:27 pm »
No changed my mind and kept the Hiace - looks identical to yours. Darn thing is nothing but trouble though, fitted a new sliding door assembly the other day. What with that and two bulbs over the last seven years I don't know why I put up with it.

Jonny 87

« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2016, 08:24:32 pm »
I've got a load of Arctic cable and connectors left over from my big gutter vac days.

Sounds good! Think I spent a small fortune in toolstation on cable, and new John guest fittings for my tank. Glad I don't change it often.

Jonny 87

« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2016, 08:28:27 pm »
No changed my mind and kept the Hiace - looks identical to yours. Darn thing is nothing but trouble though, fitted a new sliding door assembly the other day. What with that and two bulbs over the last seven years I don't know why I put up with it.

Ah yours has the same fault as mine. Why don't they make these bulbs to last? Don't make em like they used to. I've got a few bulbs that are nearly 6 years old and I dread the bill when they pop.
 ;D

Think you made a wise choice in keeping Hillary the hiace. I thought about changing too but then realised anything else I buy wil never be as reliable.

Good fun in the snow with rear wheel drive too.  8)

DaveG

« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2016, 06:26:45 am »
What size tank do you have Jonny?
You can't polish a turd

DeLuce

« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2016, 09:19:21 pm »
I've used 1" thick Thermal boarding (like Kingspan) from builders merchant. One piece should do the tank all round. Great stuff.
When the tank was empty,I even put a piece underneath too as well as sides.

DeLuce

« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2016, 09:27:29 pm »
I got my 2Kw element from Heatrod Elements Ltd, near Manchester. Excellent company to deal with, good website. They can make elements to your required length.
I just bought 14" off the shelf which cost me £56 including delivery.