This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

mark m

Softwash Jets
« on: May 27, 2016, 11:04:58 pm »

I have been playing around the last few weeks trying to make a spray for Fascia soffit softwashing etc  getting there slowly

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_UDamNzVFA

Smurf

Re: Softwash Jets
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2016, 11:31:59 pm »

mark m

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2016, 12:02:54 am »
seen them Smurf but they are £50 and I am a tight arse

Smurf

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2016, 12:23:19 am »
seen them Smurf but they are £50 and I am a tight arse

I did a render cleaning job recently and just used a wfp with an old gardiner fan jetted brush no probs.
Same goes for fsg cleans as being able to spray and agitate at the same time and turn the chem on & off as needed I found works well for me anyway. 

Dave Willis

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2016, 06:45:26 am »
Softwashing could be the future  ;)

Seriously, there's stacks of rendered properties about that need spraying in my area.

Smudger

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2016, 06:56:15 am »
Great link smurf.

Mark you need to sort that jet out the pattern is awful, and £50 ? You maybe tight but put it into perspective the number of hours faffing around to reinvent a readily available product is too cost effective
And quite simply you can just use your WFP gear and backpack

https://youtu.be/Ud5jaHKWIYs

Darran
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk

sunshine windows

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2016, 10:21:24 am »
Could you use a backpack for soft washing application or would the chemicals ruin the pump?
Same for TFR application. Is a backpack suitable?

Smurf are you actively persuing this line of work now or just taking it if it falls in your lap?

I recently bought a Gardiners soft sill brush with fans for fascia work and the flow from the fans is awful. Even with the pumps on full flow. Love the spread of the bristles though.

To climb mount fuji you must first find a path
(Swindon, Wiltshire)

www.sunshinewindowcleaning.co.uk
www.sunshinesoftwashing.co.uk

Spruce

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2016, 12:28:52 pm »
Could you use a backpack for soft washing application or would the chemicals ruin the pump?
Same for TFR application. Is a backpack suitable?

Smurf are you actively persuing this line of work now or just taking it if it falls in your lap?

I recently bought a Gardiners soft sill brush with fans for fascia work and the flow from the fans is awful. Even with the pumps on full flow. Love the spread of the bristles though.

There are videos on YouTube when contractors use ordinary Shurflo pumps for application. Their longevity should always be accounted for in your pricing structure.

What concerns me more is what damage is done to plants in the vicinity if the item you are soft- washing.  I see some go to great lengths to cover nearby bushes and shrubs, others don't care.

I liked the video Smudger put up. He demonstrated a softwash application using a brush which makes more sense to me as its containing any overspray as he keeps the brush on the wall.

-
Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2016, 12:45:48 pm »
Hi mark , where did you buy your northern diver gloves?

Smudger

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2016, 02:41:57 pm »
If you are using mine and smurfs yehaaa solution ( sodium hypochlorite ) then I checked with Alex ref the backpack he gave me the go ahead providing you wash it out afterwards ( so far so good )
With the above, there is a risk as with any chemical, however I did lots of research and most plants are not effected by the hypo ( unless poured neat into the root base ) but it's always best to wet them down before and after.
The biggest risks are - clothes which if get a dose of overspray will lose their colour and of course humans esp. The eyes so make the appropriate risk assessment before carrying out the work ( a high street may prove difficult with large foot traffic )

Darran
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

ascjim

« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2016, 02:44:07 pm »

Smurf

« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2016, 10:17:24 pm »

Seriously, there's stacks of rendered properties about that need spraying in my area.

It's not difficult to do either the proper way  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htl6ZNKtjoA
Unlike numpties turning up and spraying say that house for instance with an xjet as the chem spray drift from an xjet would land them in whole load of grief.  ;D

JSMC

« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2016, 08:39:46 am »
Applying the chemical where is it coming from? Backpack used only?

Smurf

« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2016, 05:05:59 pm »
If you are refereing to that vid I posted it dosen't really matter what delivery system you use be it a 12 volt chemical pump van setup, trolley, backpack,  petrol driven portable pump or petrol driven chemical van setup. Even just dipping the brush in a bucket of yehaa mix or diocide and slapping it on the walls might be a bit slower but still works as it's the chems that does the work for you.

Smudger

« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2016, 05:37:03 pm »

It's not difficult to do either the proper way  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htl6ZNKtjoA
Unlike numpties turning up and spraying say that house for instance with an xjet as the chem spray drift from an xjet would land them in whole load of grief.  ;D

All that and he still missed the sills  ;D

Darran

Spruce

« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2016, 06:25:08 pm »
So Darren and Smurf,

If you don't mind me asking; what chems do you use and what mix?  You've linked to the Benz chem suppliers how to video, but I see ordering sodium hypochlorite brings up numerous suppliers.

I have a couple of conservatory cleans I do each year and the roof panels are always green with algae as are the fenials along the top.

I use a Hozelok pump sprayer with the nozzle attached to my Unger teleplus pole. I used Ubik on this the year before last but last year I didn't bother. I had to scrub those panels hard last year.

I also wonder how the owners will react if I don white overalls and eye protection to spray a roof I haven't done that way previously.

I'm also concerned in that on one property the one side of the conservatory is a step ladder width away from an old hedge that is dutifully maintained by its old owner. I have also noticed over the years doing it the the gap between the hedge and the conservatory is getting smaller. The hedge is also getting taller making that one section of the roof rather difficult to clean.

Smudger

« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2016, 07:02:04 pm »
I don't buy Benz or any other "branded" chemical - sodium hypochlorite is readily available from pool suppliers and other cleaning outlets ( those who deal with farmers and the like ) the cost is far less - I pay £15 inc vat for 20 litre drum

I don't use it on plastics such as conservatories as a rule, however I have used it as a mild solution for one off stubborn areas as you describe approx 1 part hypo 5 parts water through backpack at that distance no need for nuclear fallout suits   ;D - if spraying then wear a waterproof coat  leave on for 15 mins and go algae should remain.

I have to say I'm sometimes tempted to do sfg cleans this way, but I know you can't really beat a proper scrub with a brush and chem like virosol/TFR etc.

Darran

Matt.

« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2016, 08:09:58 pm »
Tbh spruce

Hypo is no good at all on glass and won't remove the green moss, like virosol will.

I thought it would until I tried it on a big glass roof.

Spruce

« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2016, 08:28:53 pm »
Thanks Darren and Matt

Smurf

« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2016, 09:27:22 pm »

All that and he still missed the sills  ;D

Darran

I did notice  ;D ;D

I take it that was tap water used in the vid to rinse down so should have included a proper window clean afterwards too.