Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Clever Forum Name

Re: even i had to admit defeat today!
« Reply #40 on: November 17, 2015, 09:34:35 pm »
There is a big difference in winds and gusts though.

Today wasn't that bad here. Prob 30-50mph gusts.

sunshine windows

« Reply #41 on: November 17, 2015, 10:39:42 pm »
I did 8.30am-12.30pm, got absolutely drenched finishing one job off. Went home for 1 1/2 hour lunch to dry off. Sat in the van at next job until 2.30pm, managed to finish 2 jobs short of target by 3.45pm, so pretty pleased.

It was lashing it down with strong winds at times, but had I not have done some jobs I'd fall behind and I haven't been behind schedule for about 5 years. Just bad luck it's my busiest week for the month
To climb mount fuji you must first find a path
(Swindon, Wiltshire)

www.sunshinewindowcleaning.co.uk
www.sunshinesoftwashing.co.uk

Carl2009

« Reply #42 on: November 18, 2015, 09:51:19 am »
Jeez, the weather continues - it's turning into 2012/13. Today was forecast a better day. I thought i'd risk it and head out. Did one ground floor window and here I am back home. Strong wind and drizzle - too dangerous plus any windows cleaned would be filthy in half an hour - this wind brings with it spray from the sea even though we are miles inland. My own windows are filthy from the wind.

Although I've had the work in Nov I've had to miss the 5th, 6th, 10th, 16th, 17th and today. It's going to hit the wallet NEXT month: I leave spare days in the month for this kind of weather but I've used them all up. Because of my spare day strategy i'll be 1 day only behind next month IF I can work all days Mon to and inc Sat between now and the 30th, HOWEVER because everything is now pushed to the end of the month and we have Christmas i'll lose in December.

There is a new lad near me started in April and priced really low. He's a nice bloke but I did warn him he should be careful because he has winter to get through (it's easy the first 18 months too because all your equipment is new too but at some point he'll need to replace). I wonder how he's getting on...

How are lads in Lancs, N Wales and Cumbria getting on?

SeanK

« Reply #43 on: November 18, 2015, 11:13:10 am »
Carl that's the problem with new starts who price to make x amount a day, they don't consider that this isn't an
39 hour week 52 weeks a year job, you have to allow for time off should that be for bad weather, holidays or whatever.
When you remove the all weather guys on here with more wind than the storms I wonder how many are out working in these conditions because of under pricing.

simonr

« Reply #44 on: November 18, 2015, 11:30:11 am »
[

[/quote]

south cumbria is torrential ,  did some shops first thing, back home since 9 - again -

« Reply #45 on: November 18, 2015, 11:40:12 am »
I completely agree, no point when it's wet and windy.

I wouldn't be best pleased if I paid for a service without some benefit from it.

I haven't done any of my residentials for a week now, and won't resume until I can give my customers the decent service that they deserve.

John

so you ve not earned any money for a week now john?

so going by your mindset i shouldnt have worked this morning as it was forecast storms and rain this afternoon?

i disagree totally.i cleaned plenty of bird muck,bird strikes and snail trails off windows this morning.most of the customers who were home paid me there and then no problem.

That's right Daz, I haven't earned for a week. No big deal, I'll be busy enough catching up when the weather improves.  :)

John

So what happens next week when/if we get lovely weather. Your now behind schedule and your customers are annoyed because there Windows are filthy.

I always say this..... You've got two options/scenarios.

If you don't work in bad weather you either...

1) only have a part time round,

Or

2) you are always unreliable and behind schedule.

For me (and my customers)the lesser of the evils is just to crack on (within reason) and keep to schedule. This way the customers know when to expect me, and I also earn a lot more than if I was to take a few days off every other week.

No one expects me to turn up in the weather  we are having here. Even when I am a little behind, it's more from my perspective than my customers', so there is always plenty of scope for flexibility.

I must be doing something right though, as I don't owe or claim a penny.  :)

John

Good man. I reckon some of the boasters, BS on here going out in all weathers are clearly just desperate for cash and live hand to mouth? :-\

Next, they will be talking about "paperwork".

wfp master

« Reply #46 on: November 18, 2015, 01:21:02 pm »
I don't see the point either, the windows would be just as bad by now if i went out cleaning this morning.
I know i certainly wouldn't pay anyone to clean my windows today, same way as i bet all the car washes where empty toady?
agree.

wfp master

« Reply #47 on: November 18, 2015, 01:22:10 pm »
I completely agree, no point when it's wet and windy.

I wouldn't be best pleased if I paid for a service without some benefit from it.

I haven't done any of my residentials for a week now, and won't resume until I can give my customers the decent service that they deserve.

John
+1

Lakes and Pennine

« Reply #48 on: November 18, 2015, 01:30:16 pm »
[

south cumbria is torrential ,  did some shops first thing, back home since 9 - again -

/quote]

North cumbria, sacked this morning. prepaired for aftter diner but just been to penrith and its bouncing down

martin hulstone

« Reply #49 on: November 18, 2015, 02:34:41 pm »
Why would you even want to work in this weather anyway, desperation? Your clothes would be wet through, transfering onto your van seats, everything steamed up in the van, cold, miserable,dangerous,customers pi..ed off with you turning up,( even if they dont tell you to your face)The list is extensive.
I have priced my work well to factor in days when i cant work, and just do a bit extra when the weather is good.
I expect the decision to work or not is tougher if you employ staff who are keen to work and are on contracts?

Johnny B

« Reply #50 on: November 18, 2015, 02:44:10 pm »
Why would you even want to work in this weather anyway, desperation? Your clothes would be wet through, transfering onto your van seats, everything steamed up in the van, cold, miserable,dangerous,customers pi..ed off with you turning up,( even if they dont tell you to your face)The list is extensive.
I have priced my work well to factor in days when i cant work, and just do a bit extra when the weather is good.
I expect the decision to work or not is tougher if you employ staff who are keen to work and are on contracts?

Good post Martin.

John
Being diplomatic is being able to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

SB Cleaning

« Reply #51 on: November 18, 2015, 02:45:12 pm »
So what do you do on a lovely sunny day but the forecast is for heavy rain the same night??

KS Cleaning

« Reply #52 on: November 18, 2015, 03:04:06 pm »
I don't work in heavy rain, if  it's just drizzle and it isn't hitting the windows that's fine, any heavier and it's a no no for me.

Clever Forum Name

« Reply #53 on: November 18, 2015, 03:05:04 pm »
LOL at some of the comments on here.

Just got in, 2 houses short of what i wanted. Weather is sooooooo bad here lol

SeanK

« Reply #54 on: November 18, 2015, 03:11:55 pm »
LOL at some of the comments on here.

Just got in, 2 houses short of what i wanted. Weather is sooooooo bad here lol

Yes you do have to laugh at guys who don't need to work in storms, personally I find it funnier when guys think its
a badge of honour.

Clever Forum Name

« Reply #55 on: November 18, 2015, 03:23:30 pm »
A badge?

f*** me i want one of them  ;D

SB Cleaning

« Reply #56 on: November 18, 2015, 03:32:47 pm »
I'm surprised some of you lot get anything done if you sack a day off every time it's raining...you must be providing a really reliable service ;D

Jonny 87

« Reply #57 on: November 18, 2015, 03:37:43 pm »

Waterproofs?

The fact of the matter is that if you don't want to work outside when it's wet then that is completely up to the individual. This is why we are self employed.

Some of us just have a full round and like to be reliable for our customers. Others are happy to be late around their work, and obviously their customers are happy with that too.

Let's face it, wfp  window cleaning is a nice easy job. I'm happy to work mon-fri in MOST weather conditions, and I can enjoy my weekends and evenings, by doing this I earn alot more than I would if I only worked in decent weather, and my customers are happy because they have a reliable window cleaner.

In my case everyone's a winner.
Vision Technician / Visual Engineer /  Vision Enhancement Operative /...........................................................OnlyUseMeWFP AkA Jonny the Windy Wesher

Clever Forum Name

« Reply #58 on: November 18, 2015, 03:56:21 pm »
Jonny 87 dont be silly lol.

A few on here don't know the difference between opinion and fact.

With you working in rain you must be desperate don't ya know ;)

« Reply #59 on: November 18, 2015, 03:59:37 pm »
Rained but I carried on anyways, customers were telling me to put my hood up and offering me coffee aswell as ' shall I open the back gate for you'  even ' can you come December 24th?' ...err no I can't love, il be at home with the kids  ;D
No complaint, happy to see me as usual