Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

martin hulstone

Re: even i had to admit defeat today!
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2015, 06:34:10 pm »
And then drive home on the roads that are flooded chucking spray and sh.. everywhere, about a big a waste of money as paying a window cleaner in a storm imo

SB Cleaning

« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2015, 06:43:05 pm »
Any half decent customer will know we have to work in bad weather to keep a reliable service and the pennies rolling in  ::)roll

Walter Mitty

« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2015, 06:45:55 pm »
I did a light half day myself.  There was some commercial work first thing which gets done in any (safe) conditions - that was before the storm kicked off.  Then I went and did a bit of inside window cleaning that the customer is happy for me to save up for bad days.  Hardly record earnings but at least I got a few fiddly bits and pieces out of the way.  Truth be told, I didn't even get to three numbers but at least I kept things rolling - and it was all less than two miles from home so didn't even cost me much in fuel.

dazmond

« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2015, 06:47:17 pm »
I completely agree, no point when it's wet and windy.

I wouldn't be best pleased if I paid for a service without some benefit from it.

I haven't done any of my residentials for a week now, and won't resume until I can give my customers the decent service that they deserve.

John

so you ve not earned any money for a week now john?

so going by your mindset i shouldnt have worked this morning as it was forecast storms and rain this afternoon?

i disagree totally.i cleaned plenty of bird muck,bird strikes and snail trails off windows this morning.most of the customers who were home paid me there and then no problem.
price higher/work harder!

dazmond

« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2015, 06:49:28 pm »
I don't see the point either, the windows would be just as bad by now if i went out cleaning this morning.
I know i certainly wouldn't pay anyone to clean my windows today, same way as i bet all the car washes where empty toady?

if you were one of my customers id have dumped you by now!............messer!!! ;D ;D ;D

Clever Forum Name

« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2015, 06:51:56 pm »
And then drive home on the roads that are flooded chucking spray and sh.. everywhere, about a big a waste of money as paying a window cleaner in a storm imo

I have the van washed once a week. Do you seriously think a weeks worth of dirt can be accumulated in a 14 mile journey. Let me tell you this. It doesn't.

Clever Forum Name

« Reply #26 on: November 17, 2015, 06:52:31 pm »
I don't see the point either, the windows would be just as bad by now if i went out cleaning this morning.
I know i certainly wouldn't pay anyone to clean my windows today, same way as i bet all the car washes where empty toady?

if you were one of my customers id have dumped you by now!............messer!!! ;D ;D ;D

LOL - Can see it now. "Can you leave it this time"

dazmond

« Reply #27 on: November 17, 2015, 06:54:41 pm »
I did a light half day myself.  There was some commercial work first thing which gets done in any (safe) conditions - that was before the storm kicked off.  Then I went and did a bit of inside window cleaning that the customer is happy for me to save up for bad days.  Hardly record earnings but at least I got a few fiddly bits and pieces out of the way.  Truth be told, I didn't even get to three numbers but at least I kept things rolling - and it was all less than two miles from home so didn't even cost me much in fuel.

exactly paul.

in bad weather spells that last weeks chipping away bit by bit at your workload is better than taking the whole week off(although i have done this on occasions in the past! ;D)

martin hulstone

« Reply #28 on: November 17, 2015, 06:59:59 pm »
I get loads of customers asking me to leave it in bad weather, if i told them where to go i would lose a good chunk of business.
Where i live you need a hell of a lot of customers as they only want doing 8 weekly so have to give lee way on occasion.

tlwcs

« Reply #29 on: November 17, 2015, 07:00:38 pm »
Any half decent customer will know we have to work in bad weather to keep a reliable service and the pennies rolling in  ::)roll

This is the crux of it for me.. People want a reliable service but then must expect 2 or 3 cleans a year where it is done on wet and or windy days. WFP is a wet system. There will be exceptions like coastal properties or maybe very close to fast roads
It not pleasant working in the wet but there's good wet gear available if you choose to do it.
I try not to let the customer dictate when I work and never wonder what they think!
Tony

Johnny B

« Reply #30 on: November 17, 2015, 07:02:59 pm »

I wouldn't be best pleased if I paid for a service without some benefit from it.

I haven't done any of my residentials for a week now, and won't resume until I can give my customers the decent service that they deserve.

John

so going by your mindset i shouldnt have worked this morning as it was forecast storms and rain this afternoon?

i disagree totally.i cleaned plenty of bird muck,bird strikes and snail trails off windows this morning.most of the customers who were home paid me there and then no problem.

That's right Daz, I haven't earned for a week. No big deal, I'll be busy enough catching up when the weather improves.  :)

John
Being diplomatic is being able to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

Mike #1

« Reply #31 on: November 17, 2015, 07:06:54 pm »
Surely the weather hasn't been that bad anywhere that you were unable to work for a week.

Walter Mitty

« Reply #32 on: November 17, 2015, 07:09:30 pm »
I do work in conditions that I class as moderate rain and/or moderate wind.  That gives me leeway to earn in quite wet and blustery conmditions.  Occasionally though, it's just too much.  Today was such a day (part of it anyhow).
My rule of thumb for rain is if I can get away with intermittent wipe on the van windscreen - though I have been known to work in worse when the cashflow is playing up.

Johnny B

« Reply #33 on: November 17, 2015, 07:18:21 pm »
Surely the weather hasn't been that bad anywhere that you were unable to work for a week.

Come to South West of Ireland and see for yourself.  :)

John
Being diplomatic is being able to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

Jonny 87

« Reply #34 on: November 17, 2015, 07:43:15 pm »

John

That's right Daz, I haven't earned for a week. No big deal, I'll be busy enough catching up when the weather improves.  :)

John

So what happens next week when/if we get lovely weather. Your now behind schedule and your customers are annoyed because there Windows are filthy.

I always say this..... You've got two options/scenarios.

If you don't work in bad weather you either...

1) only have a part time round,

Or

2) you are always unreliable and behind schedule.

For me (and my customers)the lesser of the evils is just to crack on (within reason) and keep to schedule. This way the customers know when to expect me, and I also earn a lot more than if I was to take a few days off every other week.

Vision Technician / Visual Engineer /  Vision Enhancement Operative /...........................................................OnlyUseMeWFP AkA Jonny the Windy Wesher

Johnny B

« Reply #35 on: November 17, 2015, 07:53:21 pm »

John

John

So what happens next week when/if we get lovely weather. Your now behind schedule and your customers are annoyed because there Windows are filthy.

Or

For me (and my customers)the lesser of the evils is just to crack on (within reason) and keep to schedule. This way the customers know when to expect me, and I also earn a lot more than if I was to take a few days off every other week.

No one expects me to turn up in the weather  we are having here. Even when I am a little behind, it's more from my perspective than my customers', so there is always plenty of scope for flexibility.

I must be doing something right though, as I don't owe or claim a penny.  :)

John

deeege

« Reply #36 on: November 17, 2015, 07:54:16 pm »
I got a full day in, 7am- 3pm. Just up the road from you Daz, your slacking mate! 😀
"....and it's lend me ten pounds, I'll buy you a drink, and mother wake me early in the morning."

SeanK

« Reply #37 on: November 17, 2015, 08:01:50 pm »

John

John

Or

So what happens if its not within reason or you decide to take a fortnights holiday ? the only people who will be effected schedule wise by taking time out because of bad weather are people who for what ever reason have filled their workload to the rafters.

SeanK

« Reply #38 on: November 17, 2015, 08:11:39 pm »
Just out of curiosity what do you guys call high winds, I have tried to clean in 50 mile an hour gusts and found it
impossible to do a decent job, the pole felt like a fishing rod with a 100lb fish tugging on the line and the water was hitting
everything but the glass.

dazmond

« Reply #39 on: November 17, 2015, 08:30:37 pm »
Just out of curiosity what do you guys call high winds, I have tried to clean in 50 mile an hour gusts and found it
impossible to do a decent job, the pole felt like a fishing rod with a 100lb fish tugging on the line and the water was hitting
everything but the glass.

yep same sean.time to call it a day!last time i tried i got 3 call backs/complaints(about 8 months ago if you remember!) ;D