This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Harry Roberts

Can you make glass self cleaning with chemical
« on: August 30, 2015, 05:15:23 pm »
Hi
I remember going to the cleaning show a couple of years ago and seeing a company that had a chemical application that you applied I think 3 times to the glass and it becomes self cleaning.
I just can't remember who did  it.
Has anyone used such a product and if so is it any good.

Below is a picture of what I need to clean every 2 weeks but it's proving to be a bit tricky.

Matt.

Re: Can you make glass self cleaning with chemical
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2015, 06:30:27 pm »
If you find out what chemical it is mate please post as I need to know this ;D

As far as that job goes ....... Yes looks a nightmare doing it off ladders to get to the roof, other than the ladders it's a tower scaffolding ( pasma license required ) or a cherry picker.

A 6 - 8 metre tower scaffolding may be an option goin forward but explain access costs to customer

Tadgh O Shea

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2015, 09:48:05 pm »
Hi Harry, there is no such thing as self cleaning glass, even Pilkington self cleaning glass while it does self clean to a certain extent with the reaction of the Sun and Rain it still needs to be cleaned with wfp or trad to maintain it properly, you can get nano based coatings for glass which will leave a superhydrophobic finish on the surface and when the rain/water beads down the glass it takes a certain amount of soils with it which does help in keeping the glass cleaner for longer and will help in making it easier to clean in the future, but again will need to be cleaned with wfp or trad to maintain the glass properly, many companies are good at hype/spin and clever marketing skills (just watch some of the Barry Scott adds on TV, Bang and the dirt is gone yeah right) need i say anymore.  Tadgh

Smudger

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2015, 10:20:39 pm »
I agree with tadgh - clean enough conny's and you'll see loads of "self cleaning glass" that's filthy.

Product  that spring to mind is rain x for car windscreen, I used this years ago and it does make a difference  but then I just got lazy to use it.

There was also a thread a couple of years back where a company in London cleaned with a similar product with promises of clean windows for ever more !!

I don't even know if rain x is still on the market, but there must be stuff available

Darran
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk

Smurf

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2015, 10:37:57 pm »
Hi
I remember going to the cleaning show a couple of years ago and seeing a company that had a chemical application that you applied I think 3 times to the glass and it becomes self cleaning.
Has anyone used such a product and if so is it any good.

Below is a picture of what I need to clean every 2 weeks but it's proving to be a bit tricky.

To be honest it never ceases to amaze me how stupid most architects are as they obviously have no regard to how glass etc can be kept nice and clean.

steve rix

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2015, 12:25:32 am »
Hi
Has anyone used such a product and if so is it any

To be honest it never ceases to amaze me how stupid most architects are as they obviously have no regard to how glass etc can be kept nice and clean.

Most architects are useless fools who have never had a proper job in their lives

M & C Window Cleaning

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2015, 08:12:55 am »
I remember Rain X.  I think another one was Rain Wizard.  I used it on my car at the time.  I remember seeing them advertised in newspapers in the 80s/90s if memory serves.  One advert even stated that it was used on commercial jet windows so it must be good, or words to that effect.
I remember one making glass highly polished like a good wax on a car so the water just slipped off along with the dirt, or at least that was the idea. Rain X, I seem to remember, didn't have a polished feel, it just was highly repellent to water. On the car windshield heavy rain would hit it and vaporise when you were travelling at speed. I even remember putting it to the test on one occasion and switched off my windshield wipers in torrential rain to see how long I could go before having to turn them back on. I ended up driving for three hours on a motorway with my wipers switched off and could see clearly. It was pretty good stuff. However, it had to be reapplied after three or four washes and it also seemed to react with my wiper blades and considerably shortened their life so I stopped using it.
A few of my customers cancelled my services after applying it or something similar to their house windows only to engage them again a few months later as it didn't really help keep their windows any cleaner. I remember one customer complaining that it made her windows worse as now the bird muck slid from the top all the way to the bottom and made much bigger marks.

Matt.

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2015, 08:39:05 am »
That's an interesting post that mate, the glass I am about to clean is all sloped so something along those lines would be perfect for this job.
How was this stuff applied to the glass, if by hand then am stuffed as I cannot reach it by hand

Positivity

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2015, 08:55:21 am »
Why would any window cleaner want self-cleaning glass? Turkeys voting for Christmas comes to mind. ;D ;D

M & C Window Cleaning

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2015, 09:03:08 am »
I'm afraid both Rain X and Rain Wizard were both applied by hand and had to be buffed. It could be purchased from auto care type shops.

Smudger

« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2015, 09:58:38 am »
M&C - great post I remember dipping similar but not for 3 hrs !!!

Darran
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

Smudger

« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2015, 10:03:05 am »
Ooohhh they still sell it
http://www.amazon.co.uk/RainX-Repellant-200ml-Windscreen-Cleaner/dp/B001RAJ1ZM

Matt - if you can reach it wfp you can apply this stuff ( or a commercial ) equivalent, think outside the box !!

Off to new unit to plumb in ro system - drop you a line later 👍

Darran

SeanK

« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2015, 11:06:08 am »
All you done was apply a product to the windscreen of a car that made it repel water for a while ( for what reason who knows), similar to what a wax will do on the cars bodywork.
There's nothing out there chemical wise that will turn glass into self cleaning and be thankful for it because if there was some guy would come along make a quick fortune and put us all out of business.
There are a few very boring videos out there on how to make glass hydrophobic if you want to learn a bit about the self cleaning
technology.
Just search for how to make glass hydrophobic.

Matt.

« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2015, 01:03:02 pm »
For me mate, am doing a job that only gets cleaned annually so in reality it's not goin to help keep them clean.

Darran
I sent u a pic last night of the job I will send a Better one on the platform am working off and you will be able to see why I can't reach it by hand, I will have the other lad send me it an forward it on.

These are so strict with h&s I can't do anything on border lines of being deemed irresponsible .......

M & C Window Cleaning

« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2015, 02:04:51 pm »
All you done was apply a product to the windscreen of a car that made it repel water for a while ( for what reason who knows)

Thought someone might say that because it does sound a bit daft.
Reason was, I twice, in quick succession had windshield wipers pack up without warning and they tend to break down when it's raining. Wiper motor burnt out on one occasion and the link arm dropped off on another leaving me with passenger side working but not drivers side. Both times I wasn't far from home, but as I regularly used to drive to North Wales from Essex at the time I didn't want to get caught out on the motorway. However, for the  reasons I gave above I stopped using it.
I seem to remember there was also a problem with night driving when using it as well. When cars came towards you, it used to create a glare that was difficult to see through when wet.

slap bash

« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2015, 06:28:03 pm »
I think this is what you want.
http://www.newguardcoatings.com/uk/product/nano-technology/guardnanotech-glass   

It is used by a few well known window cleaners wink wink.

Rich Wilts

« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2015, 04:59:09 pm »

Dave Willis

« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2015, 09:14:08 pm »
I think this is what you want.
http://www.newguardcoatings.com/uk/product/nano-technology/guardnanotech-glass   

It is used by a few well known window cleaners wink wink.

Cor, imagine if you could bottle the stuff in little bottles and then add it to your pure water - you'd make a fortune!

Darranvps

« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2015, 07:21:37 pm »
We have the products for the glass and we have the stuff to add to pure water ;D

Tadgh has little or no idea so dont listen - he's using and selling stuff we were playing around with 25 years ago

Thats why we are the best in the business - I keep telling you all - your light years behind us  ;D ;D ;D

paulben

« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2015, 08:48:32 pm »
But whats your minimum order last time I enquired about something you wanted minimum of £500
Do not steal the government hates competition