This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

jk999

Re: Ibc tank in the van
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2015, 07:19:41 pm »
O no the henchmen are out again 😆

CleanClear

« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2015, 07:33:02 pm »
I noticed a window cleaning van this week with a 1000ltr ibc tank in the back.  unbelivable!. For a start the plastic is very thin and secondly it aint baffled. the ullage around bends must be quite a stress on the van as well.

Just a thought for you. HGV fuel tanks, maybe 450 litres or more are unbaffled too. And only held on to the chassis by two very thin metal bands.
*Status*--------Currently Online---------

SeanK

« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2015, 07:47:03 pm »
I noticed a window cleaning van this week with a 1000ltr ibc tank in the back.  unbelivable!. For a start the plastic is very thin and secondly it aint baffled. the ullage around bends must be quite a stress on the van as well.

Just a thought for you. HGV fuel tanks, maybe 450 litres or more are unbaffled too. And only held on to the chassis by two very thin metal bands.

Since when ?

Smudger

« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2015, 09:43:41 pm »
Exploding ibc tanks, wow I'll just check to see if it has a grenade implanted under the steel pallet..

Both Ibc tanks and wyvale tanks + other makes are all polyethylene plastic, but thanks for your input
martin

Baffle balls are ace, but not fit through the opening in an ibc.

Darran
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk

charlie2

« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2015, 10:53:03 pm »
When you carry ibc,s they aren't baffled.and they are never full either.1000 lts tanks the mark is six inches from the top.

SeanK

« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2015, 11:57:47 pm »
When you carry ibc,s they aren't baffled.and they are never full either.1000 lts tanks the mark is six inches from the top.

Six inches from the top wouldn't be enough to cause the pendulum effect which is the danger when carrying any liquid in
a tank without baffles.
At the end of the day a baffled tank wont cost a fortune so there is no sensible reason not to use one.

CleanClear

« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2015, 01:12:19 pm »

Since when ?

Here's a modern one for sale ............
http://r.ebay.com/5ryECy

"Since when?"..........is a good question. If you look at pictures of old trucks, maybe 1950's and earlier, its a design that has not changed. I'm not aware of any ripping the chassis off or bursting out their brackets. Mind you, its not a field i've researched thoroughly.

Smudger

« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2015, 01:59:09 pm »
Truck fuel tanks are baffled, usually several plates to divide the tank into sections with at least one hole or opening at the bottom so fuel can flow into each section, tankers are along the same design and have been since the 1930's when I think scammell first used this to stop surge.

The idea of any tank holding liquids to to stop any momentum being built up which will cause slosh and effect the handling of the vehicle or loss of fluid due to spillage.

This can be done by having a completely full container or baffles which break up the currents and flow of liquids.

Darran
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

Don Kee

« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2015, 03:55:06 pm »
Jerry...Jerry...Jerry!!!

ok cleaning

« Reply #29 on: July 28, 2015, 05:38:04 pm »
i had 1000lt ibc tank in my pug expert about 7 years ago with no problems at all

CleanClear

« Reply #30 on: July 28, 2015, 07:47:41 pm »
Truck fuel tanks are baffled, usually several plates to divide the tank into sections with at least one hole or opening at the bottom so fuel can flow into each section, tankers are along the same design and have been since the 1930's when I think scammell first used this to stop surge.

The idea of any tank holding liquids to to stop any momentum being built up which will cause slosh and effect the handling of the vehicle or loss of fluid due to spillage.

This can be done by having a completely full container or baffles which break up the currents and flow of liquids.

Darran

Yeah ok i illustrated my point badly. At a minimum there would have to be some sort of baffling in any diesel tank other wise when you went round a corner with a low tank you'd have an airlock in your fuel system. I think some only have a half baffle to prevent airlock. But whatever, the point i was making is that these heavy tanks, are secured safely and without issue with minimum baffling  (yeah ok thats different to what i said), and are only secured with thin steel bands. Not only secured, but supported totally by them. That makes me wonder, whats with all the baffling everyones panicking over, and all the steel frame securing. All over the top IMO. And i can assure you that not all road tankers are baffled, i know because i drove them for a living. And their surge of liquid can not only make you feel wobbly, it can actually lift your rear tractor axle off the ground. They off course drive to the conditions of their load and take this into account.

Frankybadboy

« Reply #31 on: July 28, 2015, 08:05:41 pm »
i be more worried about the sate of the pallet the ibc is sat on :)

if it wood then they dont last for ever and rot away.plastic pallet would be better

the whole idea of transportting ibc on lorry's are they are stacked up against a steal frame head board,and they do fall off and break up ;) trust me on that one ;D

KS Cleaning

« Reply #32 on: July 28, 2015, 08:41:07 pm »

Darran

Yeah ok i illustrated my point badly. At a minimum there would have to be some sort of baffling in any diesel tank other wise when you went round a corner with a low tank you'd have an airlock in your fuel system. I think some only have a half baffle to prevent airlock. But whatever, the point i was making is that these heavy tanks, are secured safely and without issue with minimum baffling  (yeah ok thats different to what i said), and are only secured with thin steel bands. Not only secured, but supported totally by them. That makes me wonder, whats with all the baffling everyones panicking over, and all the steel frame securing. All over the top IMO. And i can assure you that not all road tankers are baffled, i know because i drove them for a living. And their surge of liquid can not only make you feel wobbly, it can actually lift your rear tractor axle off the ground. They off course drive to the conditions of their load and take this into account.
Should the straps securing the fuel tank fail, the fuel tank isn't goin to crash through the bulkhead and crush the occupants, whereas a poorly secured water tank in the back of a van just might.

CleanClear

« Reply #33 on: July 28, 2015, 08:57:37 pm »

Darran

Should the straps securing the fuel tank fail, the fuel tank isn't goin to crash through the bulkhead and crush the occupants, whereas a poorly secured water tank in the back of a van just might.

100% correct. And if your non crash tested hole in the floor opens out, or your non crash tested bolt fails then your crash tested tank frame will come right through it and kill you possiby whilst retaining its integrity. How goods that ?

Smudger

« Reply #34 on: July 28, 2015, 10:35:37 pm »
CC - I'm with you, just thought I should let you know the tanks are baffled, which is both our points really, whether the tank is plastic, steel steel, gold plated or concrete it needs to be baffled.

There seems to be a few people that think wyvale tanks are baffled - in the truest form they are not, the slots are for strength and rigidity of the plastic tank.

If you want the best in baffled tanks you need a bespoke tank, failing that the "d" shaped tanks with plastic tubes inside would be a great choice.

Darran

« Reply #35 on: July 28, 2015, 10:41:40 pm »
CC - I'm with you, just thought I should let you know the tanks are baffled, which is both our points really, whether the tank is plastic, steel steel, gold plated or concrete it needs to be baffled.

There seems to be a few people that think wyvale tanks are baffled - in the truest form they are not, the slots are for strength and rigidity of the plastic tank.

If you want the best in baffled tanks you need a bespoke tank, failing that the "d" shaped tanks with plastic tubes inside would be a great choice.

Darran

Wyvale or wydale?
I just bought a wydale baffled tank with slots in, the description says they are baffled....

EandM

« Reply #36 on: July 28, 2015, 10:49:32 pm »
I cleaned the windows at Wydale

CleanClear

« Reply #37 on: July 28, 2015, 10:56:18 pm »

Darran

Yeah your right, the Wyvale(wydale?) are only probabky what you could call slightly baffled. I'm a fan of them though, they are a strong tank. I'm not so sure i agree with some on the forum who seem to have an opinion of...baffle them, no wobble. Crash tested system, you can go crash and you'll be fine.... Ultimatley, driving a van with 650 KG, or 1000 KG in the back demands you drive it accordingly. Of course moving fluids demands even a bit more caution,

CleanClear

« Reply #38 on: July 28, 2015, 10:59:33 pm »

Wyvale or wydale?
I just bought a wydale baffled tank with slots in, the description says they are baffled....

They're baffled to the extent that you do not have the full extent of the water moving about. I.e the baffle usually just effectivey splits the tank in two. So half the slosh ? They aint baffled to the extent there is loads of multi compartments or piping in so you hardly get a slosh.

Dave Willis

« Reply #39 on: July 28, 2015, 11:06:01 pm »
 ???  So do baffles help in a crash?