This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

martin hulstone

Ibc tank in the van
« on: July 26, 2015, 12:21:34 pm »
I noticed a window cleaning van this week with a 1000ltr ibc tank in the back.  unbelivable!. For a start the plastic is very thin and secondly it aint baffled. the ullage around bends must be quite a stress on the van as well.

EandM

Re: Ibc tank in the van
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2015, 02:39:45 pm »
For a huge job a few years back I had one in the back of my P100 pick up. They're fine when they're full and as long as you transport them to the site and then bring them back empty all is well - but in everyday use hopeless as described. The name Intermediate Bulk Container is very true.

jk999

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2015, 03:15:23 pm »
I have use an ibc tank in my van for over ten years never had a problem  with  it

martin hulstone

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2015, 03:21:55 pm »
Never had an accident then.........If you slammed on and there was say 700 litres still left in, it would literally explode. its not designed to with hold any sort of impact. the one i have in my garage to store pure water in can have a finger pressed into the plastic its that thin.

martin hulstone

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2015, 03:25:47 pm »
Im not even sure an insurance company would accept a non baffled tank carrying a large amount of water on there policy?

jk999

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2015, 04:16:27 pm »
The thing is I don't drive round like an idiot . Had to brake sharp a few times because off the other idiot drivers  never had any problems  . I have mine properly  fastened down with proper  floor brackets not ratchet  straps

Smudger

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2015, 07:20:18 pm »
Then baffle it - very simple

I'll put it to you this way, and all my vans have IBC tanks, all bolted through the floor, they are designed for transporting liquids (unlike wyvale tanks) and fully baffled you get NO slosh NO roll from these, unlike wyvale tanks which used to rock the vans something chronic at either 3/4 and 1/4 full.

If anything, the thinner plastic is a better safety feature, as a ruptured tank will disperse the waters energy in all directions quickly and not travel like a ten tonne brick into your cab.

Hope the above helps you understand why an IBC tank is a better alternative to wyvale water butt tanks

Darran
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk

charlie2

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2015, 07:53:19 pm »
Been a lorry driver nearly twenty year never had a problem with transporting ibc as fear as Portugal.no baffles.no problem.have ibc in the van now with land drain as baffles .nine years no problem what so ever

Smudger

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2015, 07:58:27 pm »
For a huge job a few years back I had one in the back of my P100 pick up. They're fine when they're full and as long as you transport them to the site and then bring them back empty all is well - but in everyday use hopeless as described.The name Intermediate Bulk Container is very true.
[/color]

Please explain ??
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

martin hulstone

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2015, 08:36:32 pm »
Yes ibc tanks are safe to carry when full as there is no ullage, but half full and un baffled they could present a problem as the water is smashing around inside the tank every time you turn a corner.

martin hulstone

« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2015, 08:44:36 pm »
And as far as i am aware ibc tanks are designed for storing liquids, not carrying liquids for prolonged periods.

Smudger

« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2015, 09:00:42 pm »
That's their purpose in life to transport and store liquids ....

So you looked inside the chaps ibc to see if he had it baffled ?

Darran

EandM

« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2015, 09:30:14 pm »
For a huge job a few years back I had one in the back of my P100 pick up. They're fine when they're full and as long as you transport them to the site and then bring them back empty all is well - but in everyday use hopeless as described.The name Intermediate Bulk Container is very true.
[/color]

Please explain ??

It's an Intermediate Bulk Container.

It's designed to be the Intermediate Container for transporting Bulk loads between their manufacture and delivery.
It doesn't need to be baffled because when in transit it's full hence no sloshing about.
When it reaches it's destination it's drained and either returned empty or recycled.
At no point in transit is it less than full or more than empty.
It isn't designed to be a mobile water tank with various quantities of liquid present.

Smudger

« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2015, 09:41:48 pm »
An intermediate bulk container (IBC) or IBC tote or pallet tank, is a reusable industrial container designed for the transport and storage of bulk liquid and granulate substances .

It's also intermediate because it's bigger than a drum but smaller than a tanker

Correct, without baffles you will get slosh, same as wyvale tanks slosh at certain levels, so once baffled as posted above with pipe you can have any level of water in it

Darran

EandM

« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2015, 09:57:39 pm »
An intermediate bulk container (IBC) or IBC tote or pallet tank, is a reusable industrial container designed for the transport and storage of bulk liquid and granulate substances .

It's also intermediate because it's bigger than a drum but smaller than a tanker

Correct, without baffles you will get slosh, same as wyvale tanks slosh at certain levels, so once baffled as posted above with pipe you can have any level of water in it

Darran

I'm sure that Cleaning Spot used to sell a baffle kit for them.

Smurf

« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2015, 11:59:01 pm »
Baffel balls springs to mind  ;D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcmsTtxSKQA

martin hulstone

« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2015, 02:02:49 pm »
Im sorry Smuger but i disagree with you. The ibc tank which i saw in the back of a window cleaning van was inside a steel tank and whether they are baffled or not they should not be really be used on a continuous basis. They are one time use only tanks that are made from polythlene plastic composite hence why they are in a cage. I certainly would not want to be in a van if one exploded carrying any amount of liquid.
My opinion only though of course. :)

martin hulstone

« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2015, 02:03:35 pm »
Sorry, meant inside a steel frame.

Smurf

« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2015, 02:37:40 pm »
When you buy chems etc in bulk delivered in ibc's most are then picked up by the supplier to be reused now so I don't see how they are no good after one use.

They must be fit for purpose surely as they carry all sorts of chems etc inside them  ???

I can't see any problem myself if using ibc’s for wfp storage tanks as long as they are baffled somehow and secured in a van properly preferably bolted through the floor rather than just ratchet strap them in.

Rich Wilts

« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2015, 02:41:39 pm »
The thing is I don't drive round like an idiot .

Having an unbaffled IBC tank in your van defines you as an idiot even if you don't drive like one.