This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

David Beecroft

Getting Discouraged
« on: July 06, 2015, 04:12:28 pm »
Hi everyone,
I recently invested in a gutter vac etc to save me climbing ladders. However the last two cleans have taken far longer than I could have done off ladders. Both similar houses which normally would take about an hour, maybe an hour and a half have taken well over three hours. I seem to spend more time setting up and changing attachments than anything else. So I'm looking for time saving tips, do you have a set method that helps it to run smoothly. The equipment seems okay, its just me tripping over myself all the time. ???

Bungle

Re: Getting Discouraged
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2015, 04:23:36 pm »
Vacs are a ball ache. I get the ladders off for most jobs now. Oh and the vac leaves stuff behind too
We look at them, they look through them.

David Beecroft

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2015, 04:29:50 pm »
So many guys seem to be happy using vacs, there must be a better way of using them?

dazmond

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2015, 04:31:45 pm »
i completely avoid gutter clearing full stop as i always hated climbing the ladders to clear them out when i was trad.

now after over 5 years WFP i just concentrate on the add on work that i can do using existing equipment(conny roofs,outside f/s/g and solar panel cleaning)as extra jobs alongside lots of maintenance window cleaning.
price higher/work harder!

David Beecroft

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2015, 04:56:26 pm »
This isn't helping lads! Anyone got something positive to say before I totally breakdown?  :'(

bobplum

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2015, 05:01:53 pm »
i cant help either sorry, my view is that per hour its not good money maybe like window cleaning the prices can vary across the country, i dont carry ladders for the simple fact i can not offer the service if i dont have means of access, i pass on the work and to be honest the rates they ask for it becomes untenable to the customer, i think some people think its a quick £10 job.
May be you could look at your window cleaning business and look to improve that and make more money from what you have. Bob

Steve Lowe

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2015, 05:18:33 pm »
We have done gutter cleaning with a vac  for years but only do jobs starting at £250 +  .
I cannot see how you can make money doing houses with one tbh.
Steven J Lowe MBICSc

Lowes Cleaning Services Limited
www.lowescleaning.com

David Beecroft

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2015, 05:21:31 pm »
I'm starting to believe that! ::)roll

AuRavelling79

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2015, 05:32:25 pm »
You have to be brave when pricing.

But ... you have to allow for  setting up and taking away and cleaning kit after.

It's a game of three halves!

slap bash

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2015, 05:40:22 pm »
ITS LIKE MOST THINGS. Its a learning curve you will speed up with experience. If you used ladder then cleaned by vac it will take time to adapt. That is why I charge 5 quid a meter. No pay no clean.

Dave Willis

« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2015, 06:11:47 pm »
Best advice I can give is - subby it out.
I hate cleaning gutters these days.

Get the vac out of the van.
Get the hose out of the van
Get the extension lead out of the van
Get the poles out of the van
Get the camera out of the van
Connect it all up and trundle round the building - HATE it.

SB Cleaning

« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2015, 06:22:20 pm »
I like gutter cleaning with the vac.
.it takes time but you will speed up..
Price well!!

Mike #1

« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2015, 06:30:00 pm »
I'm the same as Dazmond i stay well clear although i know another windy who i pass the work on to he is happy going up a ladder .

james stanley

« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2015, 06:32:45 pm »
I agree , I think having a gutter vak is a great add on to window cleaning..... Just take your time and price well .....

Smudger

« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2015, 07:02:13 pm »
Firstly what equipment are you using ?

A  gutter clear of 2 runs takes between 20 and 30 minutes on average.
During our annual gutter clear round (February thru March) we clear anything up to 15 properties a day

I'm happy to talk more if you want to email me

oddbods@icloud.com

Darran
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk

robert tynan

« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2015, 09:11:15 pm »
you should try putting some water into the gutters with your wfp , i find it softens up the crap and prevents blockages in the hose and poles , if i get big sods try shunting them with the poles and some times you will manage to get a lot out it out without even turning the vac on

Smurf

« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2015, 09:12:28 pm »
When doing quotes do you actually look inside the guttering and check the downspouts too?

I find it helps to do a full gutter survey so I know what to expect. That just means I stick a gopro on a pole, set it to record and walk around the property which takes no time at all. In doing so then you have a record of the job in hand and can be played back at anytime. I’ve also an lcd touch screen on mine so is easy to show customers how bad they are and why they are having issues with the guttering overflowing etc that is not visible from the ground.  Also is a great sales tool too as in general customers are impressed and will say so.

Some guttervac jobs are a doddle to do and others can be pigs so the more information you have the better. Also helps if you can see what you are doing in real time instead of trying to do them blind.

Don’t expect a guttervac to be able to do all jobs as they have limitations and you could be messing about for ages trying. That’s why it’s sometimes quicker to do by hand that is if you can set a ladder safely. Regarding ladder work at roofline height I like to use an ankalad stabaliser & microlite standoff so I know the ladder is not going to go anywhere.

I learnt the hard way from experience that no two jobs are the same so I charge a good whack for my time whatever methods I choose to use.

wpclean

« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2015, 11:43:16 pm »
Where are based, you are welcome to come out for a day with us, and I can show you how we clean with the Vac.

David Beecroft

« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2015, 08:52:34 am »
Thanks for the input lads. I'm out in the sticks, west of Glasgow, so while I appreciate the offer Samson its not possible, unless there's someone local to me?. My problem with pricing is that I'm doing gutters I've done in the past off ladders, so the customers expect similar prices. I've had £1.50 per metre price in my head but maybe for new jobs I need to be higher, I think some of the prices mentioned would be too high around here. Anyway I'm off to try again today, I'll report back later. :)

Tom White

« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2015, 09:09:47 am »
You have to be brave when pricing.

I find that difficult to do when it's one of my own customers (I don't care about non-window cleaning customers who want their gutters cleaned).

I've recently had two one-off cleans for three-bed-semis (or equivalent of) and charged £60 for them each (they were army officers moving out of their rented accommodation), so I can price well for small jobs, but with regular customers I'm wary of sticking in a 'good price' for fear of losing a well priced window cleaning account I may like to keep.

I do gutter cleans off ladders mind; I don't see it as a problem; and I keep myself safe while working.