This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Smurf

Re: Getting Discouraged
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2015, 11:03:22 am »
I started off cheap like yourself but soon learnt to price well as gutter clearing is dangerous using ladders, hard work using a guttervac as most are awkward/pigs to do. I've found out you can't really price by metre either as there are so many other factors that can affect the price of a job.

Still after saying that a guttervac still come in handy for part/jobs you can't get at by ladders. 

You will soon find out what a guttervac can/cannot do though as you can't rely on suction alone so you have to think outside of the box so to speak and be inventive.

Smurf

« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2015, 11:36:30 am »
I think most cleaners have a tendancy to undersell gutter clearing to existing regular window cleaning customers. I know I did but soon learnt to bump the prices up as it's a filthy & dangerous job to do by ladders and most understand this.

You have to be brave when pricing.

I find that difficult to do when it's one of my own customers (I don't care about non-window cleaning customers who want their gutters cleaned).

I've recently had two one-off cleans for three-bed-semis (or equivalent of) and charged £60 for them each (they were army officers moving out of their rented accommodation), so I can price well for small jobs, but with regular customers I'm wary of sticking in a 'good price' for fear of losing a well priced window cleaning account I may like to keep.

I do gutter cleans off ladders mind; I don't see it as a problem; and I keep myself safe while working.

Smurf

« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2015, 12:25:44 pm »
The most I've ever charged to date to check & clear the downspouts & guttering on a single domestic property was 500 one-off. Mind you it was quite a large country house that was rammed solid and all the downspouts were blocked too. Now I check and clear the guttering for them every 6 months for 195.   Takes me about 2 hours to do now instead of 5 hours for the first one so I drag it out a bit as you do.

Would be nice to have a few more like that as even though it's hard work is very rewarding to do.  :)

David Beecroft

« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2015, 12:29:05 pm »
well that was a bit better, took me 1hr 20mins, £42. It was an easy chalet type house just back and front, gave them a quick wash afterwards. If they're all like that I'll be happy enough.  :)

Smurf

« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2015, 12:44:27 pm »
Nice one as is a learning curve for sure ;)
When I price jobs up now I confirm with the customer what they actually want doing and charge separately for clearing gutters and roughly the same again to clean the outside of the guttering, fascias & soffits depending how bad they are. That way say a 75 job can very easily become a 150 job with a bit of upselling  :)

well that was a bit better, took me 1hr 20mins, £42. It was an easy chalet type house just back and front, gave them a quick wash afterwards. If they're all like that I'll be happy enough.  :)

Smurf

« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2015, 01:51:24 pm »
Best ones are when you don't check in the guttering beforehand and find out on the day that the gutters are fitted with some sort of gutter guards. Now that can fun ...

Do gutter guards really work? hmmmm...I don’t think so.  ;D
The brush type are just as bad.

Smudger

« Reply #26 on: July 07, 2015, 05:25:09 pm »
Agree with the blue one, you shouldn't have washed them inclusive of clearing, price as separate jobs, usually around the same amount, unless your doing gable ends as well, then the wash is more, you can then pitch a combined wash and clear together at say 10% off.

None of these guards or brushes work, had a few where like smurfs picture shows they become part of the problem.

I never price per meter, price for the job, gutter style ( square, round, o-gee ) ground access and of course a premium if over conservatory or extension.

Regular customers are priced the same as 1 off's - people will either pay it or not, never lost a window clean  job because they didn't want to pay for a gutter clear - if people sign up for a yearly gutter inspection clear then the price is reduced because they only take half the time of full gutters

Darran
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk

Blackadder

« Reply #27 on: July 07, 2015, 10:16:22 pm »
I love it when I get gutter work, I price at pretty much £3 a metre and even if it's tiny, minimum charge is £50. Done loads this year with my space vac, it has a few little annoyances, the worst was getting the poles together and apart after wet, dirty jobs. Now have learned to clean each pole out after every use.
It even managed this job in the photo the other day after my triples wouldn't reach over the big con, so had no choice but to try it.

David Beecroft

« Reply #28 on: July 07, 2015, 10:29:11 pm »
I can see the more I use the vac etc the better  it'll be. Went to a job this afternoon full of weeds, so rather than set too with the vac I used the weed hook beforehand, hey presto it worked! I'm a bit happier tonight but I've still got a way to go before I would advertise for jobs.  ::)roll

Smurf

« Reply #29 on: July 08, 2015, 11:50:38 am »
Don't expect all jobs can be done without somtimes having to use ladders as you will come across some pigs of jobs to do if they are packed with sods and the gap is tiny to try and get them out. I've posted a few pics here to show you what I mean http://www.cleanitup.co.uk/smf/index.php?topic=196854.0

I can see the more I use the vac etc the better  it'll be. Went to a job this afternoon full of weeds, so rather than set too with the vac I used the weed hook beforehand, hey presto it worked! I'm a bit happier tonight but I've still got a way to go before I would advertise for jobs.  ::)roll

Smurf

« Reply #30 on: July 08, 2015, 11:57:57 am »
Nice one...

You where very lucky indeed as if the gap between the tiles had been tiny you would have not been able to suck them out no matter what vac you had used.

I love it when I get gutter work, I price at pretty much £3 a metre and even if it's tiny, minimum charge is £50. Done loads this year with my space vac, it has a few little annoyances, the worst was getting the poles together and apart after wet, dirty jobs. Now have learned to clean each pole out after every use.
It even managed this job in the photo the other day after my triples wouldn't reach over the big con, so had no choice but to try it.

Rich Wilts

« Reply #31 on: July 08, 2015, 01:13:03 pm »

Smurf

« Reply #32 on: July 08, 2015, 02:08:01 pm »
Thanks for turning the pic around as I was getting neck ache  ;D

Smurf

« Reply #33 on: July 08, 2015, 02:10:44 pm »
Did you drop any sods/muck down the back of that conservatory trying to get it out?
Also what was the conservatory back wall rain gully like and did you have to clear that as well?

Smurf

« Reply #34 on: July 08, 2015, 10:59:43 pm »
You can probably tell I hate gutter clearing with a passion  ;D