This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

captain lard

Rain-when do you not clean
« on: April 11, 2006, 12:45:44 pm »
Hello,I am a newbie but would like to ask for some advice/insight.I dont mind the weather when I am cleaning,by that I mean I dont mind if it is cold and windy or if it is raining but the rain has made me stop a few times and I am not sure if it was a mistake to stop or not.
The first week I cleaned it rained,but there was little wind,in fact it was almost still and the rain,a heavy drizzle or spotting,was coming down vertically and wasnt hitting the windows so I happily ploughed on.
This week though it is showery and windy so the rain is hitting glass and I have dithered about - what conditions do you lads keep cleaning in and when do you think its no good continuing?
I dont want to take the mick out of my customers,I am worrying in case anyone feels I have taken a liberty when cleaning if the rain is hitting glass if you know what I mean though I had one customer 'complain' I hadnt done hers when I had done the 4 houses before her even though I explained I was worried about the rain and stopped.Am I worrying too much and should I plod on unless conditions are monsoon like??
Any advice most welcome

dish

Re: Rain-when do you not clean
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2006, 01:14:59 pm »
Its a no win situation.
I have found that it depends on the type of rain and if it is raining onto the glass.

Some of my customers don't like to have their windows cleaned in the rain and people like this will usually tell you after the first time you do it.  This can be a problem as you can soon end up getting behind schedule or driving out of your way to fit them in when the weather improves.

On the other hand, you will get the odd customer that doesn't want them doing in the rain, but will then complain that you didn't do them on time if you don't go 4 weeks to the day because of the weather.

At the end of the day it will depend on how fussy they are and busy you are and how much you can accomodate their requests.

geoffreyspecht

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2006, 01:22:50 pm »
tell my customers i work in all weathersi

Morph

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2006, 01:27:19 pm »
If it's raining heavy enough to soak the windows, that's it.  I finish the job I'm on, come home, and chat about rain on the windows, to other window cleaners, who have been rained off!

simbag

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2006, 03:24:04 pm »
I think this may be the topic of the week, judging by the weather forecast this week!  :(

Archy136

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2006, 05:40:07 pm »
I had some blocks of flats lined up for the end of the week but brought them forward to today instead of houses. I wouldn't do houses in weather like today.

jon adams

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2006, 06:04:56 pm »

weve had a full day on 32 flats and interior clening of stairwells and corridors, bought this forward as not much point doing domestics today. Lovely inside with the heating on, ive always found that wet rain is the worst.

Jago

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2006, 06:42:34 pm »
I hate wet Rain but really Hate Cold Wet Rain

I do Winda's in the rain when I started, told the customers that the only time I would not do it was if it was a monsoon

They all seem OK with that.

To Do Is To Dare

eddie d

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2006, 07:47:19 pm »
carry on regardless dont ever stop unless you want to .dont do customers who complain if raining. keep on going

simbag

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2006, 09:40:31 pm »
carry on regardless dont ever stop unless you want to .dont do customers who complain if raining. keep on going

Surely you must have some limits??! :-\

craig jwc

« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2006, 12:45:10 am »
I tell all my new customers that i clean when it's raining.

I use wfp and it doesn't seem to affect it.

If it's really throwing it down then i won't bother as i don't want to go around all day soaked through.

I still have customers complain because it's raining but told them that the last time i cleaned them in the rain they never said anything and were happy how clean the windows were.

Craig

carl stanton

« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2006, 12:50:44 am »
this is one i still struggle with, but then im a soft touch. do i dont i carry on, spend so much time thinking of it i dont get work done aaaaaaargh! a revelation! let the customer be the judge, on some level any way, the worst you can do is say sorry im soooo busy i have to do in rain, and your the only one that minded, or the like, guilt trip on them.   i will still probablly wimp out,

come on inspire me!  :-[

craig jwc

« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2006, 12:56:46 am »
Telling them their the only ones to say anything works well i think

I've used that a few times myself

Craig

pjulk

« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2006, 01:02:30 am »
I don't normally work in the rain tried it and get to many moans for my liking.

Last week i had 4 new customers to clean and told them the day i would be there.
Anyway i think it was last friday and it was belting it down with rain.
I thought what the hell and went and did them anyway.
To my surprise they did not say a thing.

Wonder if they still want me next month

Paul

gsw

« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2006, 07:13:58 am »
i dont stop no matter what the weather (wfp) and i do a good job regardless...no complaints, i think most people will take the rough with the smooth, they want reliability and a regular window cleaner. you cant let the tail wag the dog!
i still have a couple of ladder jobs which are old leaded and need ragging....cant do these in the rain.

Morph

« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2006, 08:50:07 am »
i don't agree that we should do them whenever we want.
We are part of the services industry.  That means we provide a service.  That means we serve.  Don't get too big for your boots.  just my opinion, which has served me well for 19 years window cleaning. 
Most of my residential customers do not want their windows cleaned in the rain, so I don't.  I never have.
It rarely rains so much that I can't work for days on end, in fact I'm usually glad of the opportunity to catch up on other things.

jon adams

« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2006, 05:28:09 pm »

Well done PJ i totally agree, after all its the customer who pays us so give them some respect and dont just think of your wallet and sod everyone else, it all depends if youre a giver or taker and like PJ i rather be a giver any day, so if its going to rain all day go home or do some commercial where its more impersonal

zeusjazmin

« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2006, 09:34:42 pm »
if the rain hits the windows i stop.
much as i need the money,you have to appreciate that we are cleaning windows and they do not clean in the rain,,,btw im traditional,cannot afford to go wfp

eddie d

« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2006, 11:58:01 pm »
always worked in the rain .doesnt make any difference to the window if raining.im not only thinking of the money ,im full with work so if the jobs not done on that particular day then it dont get done at all.my customers are glad to have a reliable pro turn uo every month.

brett walker

« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2006, 12:05:49 am »
I have heard many times you can wfp in the rain but trying to make a customer understand this is something else.

If i am on a job and it is raining i will finish it or if next door is not in i will sneak it in quick before it starts to rain any faster, but apart from that i dont like getting wet and you have to keep the customer happy after all they are paying you.  There will be many different views on this so each to their own what ever suits you and your customer best.

All i seem to hear off customers is 'now youve cleaned the windows it'll rain'
It gets boring after a while

Brett