This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Paul Coleman

Re: Rain-when do you not clean
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2006, 06:59:09 am »
this is one i still struggle with, but then im a soft touch. do i dont i carry on, spend so much time thinking of it i dont get work done aaaaaaargh! a revelation! let the customer be the judge, on some level any way, the worst you can do is say sorry im soooo busy i have to do in rain, and your the only one that minded, or the like, guilt trip on them.   i will still probablly wimp out,

come on inspire me!  :-[

I just tell them that time lost to rain would require me to make substantial price increases if I were to stop.  I once had a customer who complained about me working in the rain.  The next time, she complained about me being late.  I showed her that she can't have it both ways and she finally understood.

Paul Coleman

« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2006, 07:11:40 am »
i don't agree that we should do them whenever we want.
We are part of the services industry.  That means we provide a service.  That means we serve.  Don't get too big for your boots.  just my opinion, which has served me well for 19 years window cleaning. 
Most of my residential customers do not want their windows cleaned in the rain, so I don't.  I never have.
It rarely rains so much that I can't work for days on end, in fact I'm usually glad of the opportunity to catch up on other things.

I understand what you are saying PJ.  My view is that in order to provide that service, the service has to remain finacially solvent.  If I didn't work in the rain (and I'm not referring to belting down) then my income would drop to a level where it might not be worthwhile.  If a customer wants a "dry weather only" window cleaner, there are plenty who will happily provide the service. Therefore, the customer can move on to a window cleaner who only works in dry weather (I have given them other guys' contact details before now) and I can move on to customers who are OK about me working in rain.  That way, everyone gets what they want. They're happy as their windows get cleaned in the dry (though possibly less frequently and more expensively) and I'm happy because I can earn when it rains. There needn't be anything confrontative with the customer about it.
The worst week I can remember for rain was an early October in the mid 90s sometime I think.  It was so exceptional that it sticks in memory.  All week long it rained.  It wasn't just rain - it belted down.  I earned £10 all week long as it was dry for half an hour one morning when I got started.  However, even though I do work in rain, that would have been a bit much even for me  :)

Steve Mac

« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2006, 07:54:53 am »
It's not the rain we've got to worry about around here, it's the wind!  :-X It's kept me up half the night rattling the windows and i haven't got any bungalows left i can do today.

Thank god for playstations and kettles!
Become a man of the cloth. Pick up thy squeegee my child!

gaza

« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2006, 12:05:32 am »
tell them the final rinse is free ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

BRETT:HARLOWWOOD WAS DONE IN THE SNOW AND RAIN 2ND CLEAN NOT ONE COMPLAINT,IF THEY HAD I WOULD AVE REFFERED THEM TO THE ABOVE.
IF YOU GIVE THE CUSTOMER YOUR WORD THAT IT WONT AFFECT THE CLEAN [AND IT DOESNT] THEY BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU SAY FOR EVERMORE.

customer: train,train,and train again

1st clean rinse,rinse and rince again

gaza
IM AT THAT AGE MY BACK GOES OUT MORE THAN I DO

brett walker

« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2006, 12:24:28 am »
tell them the final rinse is free ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

BRETT:HARLOWWOOD WAS DONE IN THE SNOW AND RAIN 2ND CLEAN NOT ONE COMPLAINT,IF THEY HAD I WOULD AVE REFFERED THEM TO THE ABOVE.
IF YOU GIVE THE CUSTOMER YOUR WORD THAT IT WONT AFFECT THE CLEAN [AND IT DOESNT] THEY BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU SAY FOR EVERMORE.

customer: train,train,and train again

1st clean rinse,rinse and rince again

gaza

yes i noticed  :-X

john green

« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2006, 09:16:56 pm »
When I get asked ,'how on earth can you clean windows in the rain' my standard reply is,,'I always put a mac on'!!,,,,,The punter has a good laugh and soon forgets the weather,,,,,,sorted!!!!!