This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Simon Mess

Re: Views on this geezer
« Reply #120 on: February 15, 2014, 08:58:40 pm »
Technically the top frame stays much cleaner than the bottom frame as it's far more protected.  

Sorry, but that just is not true, and it is for the same reasons that i KNOW rain does not make your windows dirty. If i go to a customers house and it has been a pretty wild month weather wise, but there has been heavy rain recently, the top of the windows that have been facing the rain (and therefore also the top of the frame) are ALWAYS much dirtier than the rest of the window. This is because of the overhang above the window shelters the top of it, preventing the rain getting on there to wash away the worst of the dirt.

paul13

« Reply #121 on: February 15, 2014, 09:06:08 pm »
Technically the top frame stays much cleaner than the bottom frame as it's far more protected.  

Sorry, but that just is not true, and it is for the same reasons that i KNOW rain does not make your windows dirty. If i go to a customers house and it has been a pretty wild month weather wise, but there has been heavy rain recently, the top of the windows that have been facing the rain (and therefore also the top of the frame) are ALWAYS much dirtier than the rest of the window. This is because of the overhang above the window shelters the top of it, preventing the rain getting on there to wash away the worst of the dirt.

but that's not all the time, generally where I work the tops don't get dirty.

paul13

« Reply #122 on: February 15, 2014, 09:15:20 pm »
This is the most I have took part in any post and its been good, pretty sad ;D
but would be great to see more vids in general.

gary999

« Reply #123 on: February 15, 2014, 09:16:00 pm »
The only time i see top frames dirty on a regular basis is
on houses on busy roads

Jonny 87

« Reply #124 on: February 15, 2014, 09:20:57 pm »

It's a really good point that.

If you look at any window that is dirty,the majority of dirt is at the top of the glass, because the rAin doesn't hit that part to rinse off the worst dirt.
Vision Technician / Visual Engineer /  Vision Enhancement Operative /...........................................................OnlyUseMeWFP AkA Jonny the Windy Wesher

Peter Fogwill

« Reply #125 on: February 16, 2014, 01:22:31 am »
I was talking about in general, and not in all cases.  What about the heavy rain bouncing off the window sill and the splash back hitting the bottom of the glass?

David a lot has to do with the area like you said, and also I bet the fact that you are expanding is more to do with your area than the fact that you clean the top frame.

I have spoken to and met tons of window cleaners from all over the UK and can tell you that Paul lives in one of the hardest places to pick up new work.  Its that difficult that professional canvassing companies charge more to canvass in Pauls area.

Clever Forum Name

« Reply #126 on: February 16, 2014, 08:54:20 am »
Been reading this thread with great interest and i would like to know if  "Speed is related to area"

I have seen how people from all over the UK clean windows and i think it still boils down to north vs south.

If you are in the likes of Nottingham and the average price is £8 for a 3 bed semi, then you are gonna have to clean quickly.

So your argument is i could earn a lot more if i speed up. I dont think i could. I think if i turned up to your average 3 bed semi house for £14 - £16 (old style houses) and was there around 10 mins or less (setup to pack away and cleaning) i think you would get sacked down here.

Peter Fogwill

« Reply #127 on: February 16, 2014, 09:38:36 am »
You think you would but you wouldn't, well unless you never cleaned their windows properly.  I started off cleaning windows in Jersey many years ago probably one of the highest priced places in the UK.  I worked for the biggest company in St Helier, and worked with a few different people.  I seen right away that every single one of them was wasting masses of time, and me being me looked for ways to cut down the time on each job.  We were paid a healthy commission, and the more we done the more we were paid.  I was young at the time and enjoyed the free time on the beach etc so wanted to be less time cleaning windows and more time on the beach.  Did I loose any customers? No not any more  than any the other worker in fact probably less. Because I wasn't just like a robot like the other workers there, working the same was as a useless guy who trained me. I had my mind open to not just working faster but also working better.  I could also work out ways of making the windows better cleaned than the other window cleaners were cleaning them.  The boss was happy, the customers were happy, I was happy.  The customers were not paying any more money than they were before.  The boss often got a days wage from me when often he got a half days wage from others because of rain etc.  I mostly got a full weeks work done even if it rained half the week.  Now I can assure you that's not someone who gets sacked.

8weekly

« Reply #128 on: February 17, 2014, 11:27:08 am »
I cleaned my windows yesterday. They were last cleaned about a month ago, but with the storms they were minging. Normally I take my time when I clean them, but yesterday I cleaned them quickly including a brush over the the vents. No more than a quick brush really, but I always clean the top frame. Water on 100%.

They were really quite good. There were a couple of very minor runs under the vents. But unless you were studying each window carefully, the result was very passable.

I have 12 windows, patio doors and two other doors. I didn't time it, but it was quick. No more than 6 or 7 minutes on the glass. If I quoted the house I would charge £17.

If I had to pull up outside and all the rest, 10/12 minutes max.

Peter Fogwill

« Reply #129 on: February 17, 2014, 12:02:15 pm »
I think a lot to do with time is confidence to know when a window is clean and move on to the next one. Obviously lots of other factors come into it as well, brush flow rate etc, etc, but nearly every wfp window cleaner I have seen working uses more water than needed and spends much more time than needed trying to clean a clean window.  I have advised people in the past to clean a window that they are going to be doing the inside of as normal and do the one next to it in half the time, when inside examine them closely and see if there is a difference. Like I say other factors come into play and like was mentioned previously you should know exactly what a window needs before you even touch it.  There has been many discussions over the years and in many different places about what make a good professional window cleaner and that is one of them.  You have to adapt quickly to the environment your working in, just because a house is done in 5 minutes doesn't mean every house is done in 5 minutes. If one is really dirty as maybe it's a 2 monthly, or there's been a storm, it may take 6 minutes and a little extra water.  Its all about knowing what's needed before you even start, and having the confidence to move on when the window has had enough.  To stand at a window for a set amount of time to make sure you cover every eventuality is ludicrous, and will be costing you vast amounts of time and money in the year.

bobplum

« Reply #130 on: February 17, 2014, 04:21:32 pm »
I think a lot to do with time is confidence to know when a window is clean and move on to the next one. Obviously lots of other factors come into it as well, brush flow rate etc, etc, but nearly every wfp window cleaner I have seen working uses more water than needed and spends much more time than needed trying to clean a clean window.  I have advised people in the past to clean a window that they are going to be doing the inside of as normal and do the one next to it in half the time, when inside examine them closely and see if there is a difference. Like I say other factors come into play and like was mentioned previously you should know exactly what a window needs before you even touch it.  There has been many discussions over the years and in many different places about what make a good professional window cleaner and that is one of them.  You have to adapt quickly to the environment your working in, just because a house is done in 5 minutes doesn't mean every house is done in 5 minutes. If one is really dirty as maybe it's a 2 monthly, or there's been a storm, it may take 6 minutes and a little extra water.  Its all about knowing what's needed before you even start, and having the confidence to move on when the window has had enough.  To stand at a window for a set amount of time to make sure you cover every eventuality is ludicrous, and will be costing you vast amounts of time and money in the year.

with you all the way on this pete.....i want to have your children :D :D :-*

Peter Fogwill

« Reply #131 on: February 17, 2014, 04:25:22 pm »

with you all the way on this pete.....i want to have your children :D :D :-*

;D

8weekly

« Reply #132 on: August 24, 2014, 06:19:53 pm »
Interesting reading this. After this thread I speeded up and started to get complaints. But...... I also moved at the same time to fan jets and sill brush and I am pretty certain that my incorrect technique with them was causing the issues. I will have another experiment I think.  :-\

oldman

« Reply #133 on: August 24, 2014, 08:23:44 pm »
Let us know how it goes in another 6 months  ;).