Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Scrimble

winter tyres on van
« on: November 14, 2013, 10:17:29 am »
for the past few years I've always fitted winter tyres onto my van, and now my partners car too,

I'm having a set fitted onto my van this weekend ready, anyone else use them?

dazmond

Re: winter tyres on van
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2013, 10:29:40 am »
no never fitted winter tyres to any van ive ever had.i have michelin tyres on my car and cheapos on my van.

whats the difference scrimble?
price higher/work harder!

PoleKing

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2013, 01:06:47 pm »
This came up last year.
I'm with Scrimble on this.
Tyres you shouldn't scrimp on.
Even 1 metre saved on stopping distance can mean the difference between a dent and write off.
I didn't know you could get extra load winter tyres but will have a look.
www.LanesWindowCleaning.com

It's just the internet. Try not to worry.

dannymack

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2013, 01:43:47 pm »
My personal opinion I never have a tyre is a tyre good set of brakes, when it snows let tyres down a little. Can't see the point in wasting mo ET changing tyres. I think if it was to make a big difference there would be a law against it but each to there own if that's what you want to do you's go for it.

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2013, 03:17:10 pm »
We use winter tyres on the family cars. Have done for over 5 years now. Take a look at this video.....

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-news/66692/winter-tyres-4x4-grip-test-video

Simon Mess

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2013, 04:55:03 pm »
Getting winter tyres can a good idea, but it is a big expense and a lot of hassle. Ideally you would have 2 sets of wheels, 1 with summer tyres, the other with winter. If you can afford to, and have some means to change them over relatively easily, then yes absolutely. If not, I would say use wet weather tyres (like me, uniroyals), which given the climate these days, are certainly going to earn their keep!, and they will work better in the snow than summer tyres. but I don't see winter tyres as being necessary, drive carefully plan well ahead, leave a very big gap in between you and whatever is in front of you, use the gears to help slow you down, and don't make any sudden manoeuvres. One thing I definitely wouldn't do is buy cheap tyres, that is a very false economy.

I am also utterly baffled by dannymack's comment on letting the tyres down a little. I am assuming you mean pressure?, but why on earth would you do that?. If it is snowing, you want your tyres to cut down through the snow to find the grip, not float over the top providing no grip at all!. Yes if you are in Iceland or somewhere, driving on very deep snow, you let the tyre pressures down for floatation, same for deep mud. Doing it on the road could be very dangerous.

Darranvps

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2013, 05:13:53 pm »
Everything has winter tyres on

Only fools drive (or get stuck and clog up the roads) without them

G O Cleaning

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2013, 05:59:22 pm »
Always had a problem with our Renault Trafic, last year fitted winter tyres, hell of  a difference well worth it. We use the same rims our local garage changes the summer tyres back free of charge  ;)

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2013, 06:08:12 pm »
i thought i heard some where that fitting winter tyres to a vehicle is classed as a mod and can invallidate your insurance

PoleKing

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2013, 06:13:22 pm »
i thought i heard some where that fitting winter tyres to a vehicle is classed as a mod and can invallidate your insurance

Used to be the case.
A lot of insurers are coming round to sensibility of fitting winter tyres.
Best just tell me just in case though
www.LanesWindowCleaning.com

It's just the internet. Try not to worry.

Mike #1

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2013, 06:21:17 pm »
You only need to fit winter tyres on one axle so if you have front wheel drive fit them to the front they will make a big difference with traction and grip .

And you might get out to work in the snow  instead of crying on this forum that you have not worked for days . Mike

Soupy

« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2013, 06:23:26 pm »
I have AT tryes on at all times so no need to swap them in the winter.

I do a bit of off roading and can tell you with some certainty that winter tyres WILL make a difference.

In the white (or brown) stuff you can have the best 4x4 by far but if you've only got road tyres - you will get stuck.

Mike #1

« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2013, 06:41:08 pm »
Totally agree stuart i had a Suzuki grand vitara with HT Tyres on and the wheels still spun on a incline .

I have some Toyo AT's on my L200 at the minute it will soon be time for a change after 26 months what tyres do you generally have on your Landy . Mike

EandM

« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2013, 06:41:44 pm »
I have AT tryes on at all times so no need to swap them in the winter.

I do a bit of off roading and can tell you with some certainty that winter tyres WILL make a difference.

In the white (or brown) stuff you can have the best 4x4 by far but if you've only got road tyres - you will get stuck.

I've just a put a set of Enduro AT Tyres on my Ranger. They feel very hard and seem to transmit a considerable amount of road noise. Are they all like this is or is it just a brand issue ?

Lee GLS

« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2013, 06:43:36 pm »
I have never had winter tyres before, but I have got a RWD van and have bought some this year, otherwise I have got not hope

Mike #1

« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2013, 07:00:36 pm »
AT tyres generally transmit more road noise than HT's i will only fit AT's to my truck as prefer to be prepared for all terrains as i go to remote farms etc .

I have done 24,300 miles on my current tyres . Mike

Soupy

« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2013, 07:19:15 pm »
Quote from: M & M Window Cleaning
Totally agree stuart i had a Suzuki grand vitara with HT Tyres on and the wheels still spun on a incline .

I have some Toyo AT's on my L200 at the minute it will soon be time for a change after 26 months what tyres do you generally have on your Landy . Mike

If I'm feeling flush I put BFG AT's on there - at the moment it's Enduro AT's which are basically just a BFG copy.

C o z y

« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2013, 07:36:39 pm »
Compulsory here. The rubber compound reacts better than summer tyres at 7c and below. Grip in wet and cold better, and they are safer over all. No good in UK, because people there think they are "snow" tyres, and it doesn't snow much so no point in fitting them.  ::)roll

The other side of the coin is, if you fit them, it makes no difference when the others on the road with you have summer tyres on. They get stuck and have accidents in front and behind you, and you get stuck behind them when they can't move. So unless everyone has them fitted, it's not much use.  ;D

Enjoy the winter lads  :D
No still don't understand, I must be thick

Mike #1

« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2013, 07:59:03 pm »
Quote from: M & M Window Cleaning

If I'm feeling flush I put BFG AT's on there - at the moment it's Enduro AT's which are basically just a BFG copy.

Do find you get plenty of miles from the Enduro At's . Thanks Mike

EandM

« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2013, 08:37:11 pm »

My work seems to be like Mikes and I was very off road yesterday in the middle of nowhere getting to a customers house that's only really accessible by green lane.
I had Goodrich HT on there before and never found any traction issues with them on any surfaces / snow / ice / gravel etc except they didn't like mud !
We're certainly quieter / better ride / more stable. I get the sense that these should last well but are AT really that much better ?