This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Scrimble

Re: winter tyres on van
« Reply #40 on: November 16, 2013, 10:51:48 am »
dont need a 4x4 in winter you need winter tyres,

dirty darren look on you tube to see what happens when you fit them on the front only, in the countries where by law you have to fit winter tyres its on all 4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7xXDMkVFlE

Mike #1

« Reply #41 on: November 16, 2013, 01:00:46 pm »
Been told today at tyre fitters that if your vehicle is front wheel drive you only need to fit winter tyres to the front axle ,

If you have rear wheel drive then you must fit winter tyres to both axles , I have 5mm left on my tyres at the minute so wont be changing my AT's yet .

But looking at getting some Maxis At's in the next few weeks . Mike

Scrimble

« Reply #42 on: November 16, 2013, 01:10:15 pm »
m&m did you not watch the video?

in some countries it is illegal to fit just 2 winter tyres instead of 4, the tyre fitters you spoke to are wrong,

Soupy

« Reply #43 on: November 16, 2013, 02:39:56 pm »
Quote from: Scrimble
tyre fitters you spoke to are wrong

The tyre fitters are only wrong in the sense that you don't 'need' to fit winter tyres at all.

If you fit 2 onto your drive axle you are less likely to lose traction and be stuck.

If you fit all 4, you are less likely die in a fiery ball going backwards into a tree.

PoleKing

« Reply #44 on: November 16, 2013, 02:44:16 pm »
Cheers Scrimble.
I was gonna go for just 2 but seeing that video, I'm gonna get 4.

Now...what happens if you drive on winter tyres in summer?
www.LanesWindowCleaning.com

It's just the internet. Try not to worry.

Soupy

« Reply #45 on: November 16, 2013, 03:12:46 pm »
Quote from: DirtyDarren
Cheers Scrimble.
I was gonna go for just 2 but seeing that video, I'm gonna get 4.

Now...what happens if you drive on winter tyres in summer?

Not a-lot.

They wear quick though, especially in warmer temperatures.

SPE

« Reply #46 on: November 16, 2013, 04:05:28 pm »
watching that video I can see the benefits to fitting 4 but for the amount of snow we have in this country unless you are in an extremely rural and snow prone location (and face it you would probably have a 4wd anyhow) it seems a waste of money. If I felt it were needed I would fit 2 winter tyres to my front wheel drive and drive to the conditions and within my limitations e.g. not expecting to take corners at 40 mph in heavy snow. The snow has only ever really been a problem where I live in side streets and hills etc. for a week at most and in those circumstances traction loss on icey slush.
I'd rather stay at home a couple of days than blow a load of money just so I could carry on working for those occasional days. Each to their own though, suppose it really depends on where you live/work and how bad you expect weather to affect you  ;)

Mike #1

« Reply #47 on: November 16, 2013, 05:51:35 pm »
Location is a big factor but any of us can suffer a heavy Snow fall and persistent low temps with continued snow .

Winter of 2010-11 was the worst the side roads and road sides of main town roads ended up with 6-12" of compacted snow and ice and even if you got out to work without the right vehicle or and tyres parking up on compacted snow for a good while became a struggle to set off again .

What some are missing here is if you have 500kg in the back of your motor whether in snow ice or colder temps how long will it take for you to stop or when temps plunge a road turns to a sheet of ice at any time of the day can you travel safely .

Every year on this forum when the bad weather hits their is a multitude of posts about how you cannot get out to work or dare not risk it , Fitting winter tyres is like taking out insurance you do so in order to safeguard yourself and your family incase something happens .

Because of the shortage of supply of winter tyres in the UK when its to late its to late i have spoke to a few people today who have or going to fit winter tyres before the bad weather hits better to get them now before their is no more left . Mike

Mike #1

« Reply #48 on: November 16, 2013, 05:55:53 pm »
Some guys will spend £300 or so on a hot system but wont spend the money on winter tyres , Hot wash is useless if cant get your van  of your drive for a week or more . Mike

PoleKing

« Reply #49 on: November 16, 2013, 05:57:06 pm »
Location is a big factor but any of us can suffer a heavy Snow fall and persistent low temps with continued snow .

Winter of 2010-11 was the worst the side roads and road sides of main town roads ended up with 6-12" of compacted snow and ice and even if you got out to work without the right vehicle or and tyres parking up on compacted snow for a good while became a struggle to set off again .

What some are missing here is if you have 500kg in the back of your motor whether in snow ice or colder temps how long will it take for you to stop or when temps plunge a road turns to a sheet of ice at any time of the day can you travel safely .

Every year on this forum when the bad weather hits their is a multitude of posts about how you cannot get out to work or dare not risk it , Fitting winter tyres is like taking out insurance you do so in order to safeguard yourself and your family incase something happens .

Because of the shortage of supply of winter tyres in the UK when its to late its to late i have spoke to a few people today who have or going to fit winter tyres before the bad weather hits better to get them now before their is no more left . Mike

That's true.
I've itdered winter tyres for the car.
They won't be here until a week on Tuesday and are ordered from France!
Just in time according to the front page of the express. (Not that I believe that!)

C o z y

« Reply #50 on: November 16, 2013, 07:11:35 pm »
I don't get it  ???  Why do some people in UK still think they are snow tyres?? They are winter tyres. Not snow. I know it's complicated lads, but they are winter tyres. Not made to only drive in snow, but temps lower than 7c.

By the way, in answer to the question, what happens if you use them in summer, answer nothing. I have mine on all year. They're supposed to wear quicker, but I've not noticed.
Imagine, some people will risk not only their own lives, but their family's lives and any poor sod they may collide with when they lose grip, because either they couldn't afford a set of winter tyres, or could afford them, but couldn't be bothered because they thought they were only for snow conditions.

Winter tyres are cheaper than summer tyres here, is it different in UK? All the big boy window cleaners earning thousands a week, and it's an issue to change to different tyres to suit the weather conditions  ???
No still don't understand, I must be thick

Mike #1

« Reply #51 on: November 16, 2013, 08:23:48 pm »
Depending on rim size you could get a full set of 4 tyres for about £320 fitted maybe less now that aint expensive . Mike

PoleKing

« Reply #52 on: November 16, 2013, 08:59:38 pm »
Depending on rim size you could get a full set of 4 tyres for about £320 fitted maybe less now that aint expensive . Mike

Lol. I wish. I'm looking at £320 per corner on the car.
Not checked the van yet...

Mike #1

« Reply #53 on: November 17, 2013, 11:17:56 am »
 :o :o :o Bloody heck Darren what size rims are they , So you are paying £320 per tyre for my L200 winter tyres are a similar price to summer or all season tyres , Which ranges from £92 - 150 per tyre  fully fitted . Mike

C o z y

« Reply #54 on: November 17, 2013, 11:36:06 am »
 ;D F1 Red Bull wet tyres by the look of those prices!!
No still don't understand, I must be thick

Soupy

« Reply #55 on: November 17, 2013, 11:59:37 am »
£320 wtf? BMW runflats?

PoleKing

« Reply #56 on: November 17, 2013, 12:59:39 pm »
:o :o :o Bloody heck Darren what size rims are they , So you are paying £320 per tyre for my L200 winter tyres are a similar price to summer or all season tyres , Which ranges from £92 - 150 per tyre  fully fitted . Mike

295/35/21
Michelin Alpine.
Found them a bit cheaper online but with delivery & fitting it's much of a muchness.
Got about 3mm left on my Pirelli P Zero's but I think I'll ebay them & brand new in summer/spring. Gonna be an expensive few months!

« Reply #58 on: November 17, 2013, 02:53:07 pm »
It's a no brainer!!

I'm fitting my winter tyres tomorrow, 4 Goodyear cargo supergrip on steel rims. Change them back over in the spring.
Cost me £600 off the internet with rims so you just swap them over each year, I've had them 3 years now, still look brand new.

PoleKing

« Reply #59 on: November 17, 2013, 03:02:25 pm »