This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Poll

What is your age?

Under 20
2.2%
5 (2.2%)
20-25
5.3%
12 (5.3%)
26-30
12.3%
28 (12.3%)
31-40
23.2%
53 (23.2%)
40+
57%
130 (57%)

Total Members Voted: 211

Dean Taberner

How old are you?
« on: September 09, 2013, 09:13:03 pm »
Again I was just wondering,

Cheers,

Dean.
Operations manager at J.V Price Ltd

http://www.thepricegroup.co.uk

Dean Taberner

Re: How old are you?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2013, 09:50:15 pm »
Thanks for voting,

Its an interesting pole so far,

If anybody wishes to add their stories as to why they decided to become window cleaners and how long they've been cleaning then that would make it even more interesting.

I'll start,

I've been cleaning windows since I was 16 working for my dad and after a while out working for Michelin tyres I decided to go alone.

I'm now 33.

Ross G

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2013, 09:53:41 pm »
I think I was 50 the last time I posted on here 0ne year later i'm really feeling my age does Stu Mac still post on here he must be at least 55 now  ;D

Dean Taberner

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2013, 09:58:01 pm »
Stu Mac is more active on Facebook these days Ross ;-)

stuart mc

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2013, 10:02:02 pm »
I am 41 ye cheeky sods ;D

Nathanael Jones

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2013, 10:06:24 pm »
I'm 35, exactly half the age of Malc Gold.  ;D ;D 8)

EandM

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2013, 10:09:17 pm »
I went to put in 44 and find it's just 40+ --  40+ isn't a demographic it's a question, ' What are you doing on the Earth that old ? '

PoleKing

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2013, 10:09:26 pm »
Did a bit of Saturday work for a mates dad between ages of 12 and 16.
Did my apprenticeship in Joinery kept at it until 21.
Went into teaching and window cleaning together as the teaching wage is carp.
Bloke offered me 50% of his round all expenses paid except diesel & P/L doubled my money for half the hours (quadrupled in effect) overnight.
Stayed with him for 18 months-he was really really good to me.
But got offered a business as a fella was retiring round my manor.
I had cash so cut him in half as he was desperate and started on my own the next week.
Within 3 years i had tripled his turnover.
Still going strong in my 11th year.
www.LanesWindowCleaning.com

It's just the internet. Try not to worry.

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2013, 12:11:38 am »
I am 64 this November, Most of my customer think I am in my fifties.I still work a very full day of 30 houses  with out effort. Been window cleaning  for 4years.I went into window cleaning as I battled to get a job in my field in business consultancy.  It was the first time in my life some else told me how I should be feeling.I was told I  am past my best day. So I started my business with 136 quid.Bought my Ford Connect cash in my second year and all the fancy poles ,vacs and pressure washing in the third year and still going stronger in my forth year. Spent the second year with a Harris pole and backpack. I know I am a bit cocky for my age. ;D ;D ;D but hay, I guess I must  be a  true recycled teenager.

roundbuilder

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2013, 08:24:52 am »
I am 64 this November, Most of my customer think I am in my fifties.I still work a very full day of 30 houses  with out effort. Been window cleaning  for 4years.I went window cleaning as I battled to get a job in my field in business consultancy. I was told I  am past my best day. So I started my business with 136 quid and am still going after four years.It was the first time in my life some else told me how I should be feeling.I guess I m the true recycled teenager.

Much respect to you mate.

H2GoKent

« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2013, 08:33:17 am »
Used to be a Area Sales guy in a shiny car, chasing round appointments taking people to lunch etc etc.
Nice job, well paid but loooong hours, when we had kids I didn't want to miss out on them growing up, saved up set up as a windy while working the other job, and then after 4 months they gave me £4000 to leave, because for some reason I wasn't doing as well as before at my job,  ;D I was chuffed to say the least.

10 years on still loving it, never miss a bed time or sports day. Long weekends most weeks

I'm 41, this is a good poll and it would be interesting to see a poll that had categories for 50+ and 60+ too.
A manager is generally someone who has been promoted to the position by someone else who didn't see them as a threat.
Hence all people are promoted to the level of their incompetence

lal

« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2013, 08:47:28 am »

kendrick

« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2013, 12:15:16 pm »

roundbuilder

« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2013, 12:16:55 pm »
31 started when was 21 and still love it.

C o z y

« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2013, 01:02:37 pm »
55 Been on and off for over 20 years +

Had more interesting jobs, but hour for hour, this is the best paid. I like the short hours and flexibility of working when you want to and not because I have to. I'll be moving over to full time upholstery and carpet cleaning next year, because that's even better paid. May keep some of the best work for fun, but we'll see.

I thought some members were younger than they've posted on here.  ;) I thought Smithie was about 30ish.
No still don't understand, I must be thick

tom20001

« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2013, 01:06:02 pm »
Did a bit of Saturday work for a mates dad between ages of 12 and 16.
Did my apprenticeship in Joinery kept at it until 21.
Went into teaching and window cleaning together as the teaching wage is carp.
Bloke offered me 50% of his round all expenses paid except diesel & P/L doubled my money for half the hours (quadrupled in effect) overnight.
Stayed with him for 18 months-he was really really good to me.
But got offered a business as a fella was retiring round my manor.
I had cash so cut him in half as he was desperate and started on my own the next week.
Within 3 years i had tripled his turnover.
Still going strong in my 11th year.

31 here too!!! and a joiner too lol

but i only started recently so ive a lot of catching up to do :)

formb

« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2013, 01:10:00 pm »

Cleaned my first window for money at the ripe old age of 12  :o

Lee Pryor

« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2013, 01:27:32 pm »
The best way to predict the future is to create it.

Crystal-clear

« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2013, 03:26:00 pm »
32 started 27 needed a job looked at it as a means to N end till I got a better job 2 years in I started my first day at work again £27k It felt rubbish bare in mind I was earning much much less before as a not as serious window cleaner I went on lunch break and never came back they were gob smacked lol;) I said to my self if I walk away from this job ill have to try that water system thingy and go all or bust never looked back

roundbuilder

« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2013, 03:28:26 pm »
32 started 27 needed a job looked at it as a means to N end till I got a better job 2 years in I started my first day at work again £27k It felt rubbish bare in mind I was earning much much less before as a not as serious window cleaner I went on lunch break and never came back they were gob smacked lol;) I said to my self if I walk away from this job ill have to try that water system thingy and go all or bust never looked back

Nice story, glad has all worked out for you.
I don't think I'd be happy being employed ever again, it's too much of an easy life when all the pieces slot together.