Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

rycalshaw

cheapskates
« on: July 23, 2013, 02:46:54 pm »
there must have been half a dozen posts this week on facebook from people requiring a carpet cleaner, every one said exactly the same thing "does anyone know any CHEAP carpet cleaners". not one of em said they wanted a GOOD carpet cleaner, i,d really like to know how much these people are realistically expecting to pay. it seems quality isn,t really a requirement in these days of austerity.. :( :(

Simon Gerrard

Re: cheapskates
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2013, 03:01:07 pm »
Quality is always a requirement. Just because people say, 'cheap,' doesn't mean they will expect a less than perfect job.
Also, a lot of people have had their carpets cleaned before and had a less than satisfactory result and believe that that is as good as carpet cleaning gets and so if they have it done again they might as well pay as little as possible.

Other people think next time they will look for a carpet cleaner than can deliver a quality result, only this time they'll be prepared to pay for it.

Simon

Ian Gourlay

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2013, 03:45:43 pm »
went to job yesterday where somebody had the job done buy a a cheap cleaner a few days before.

Mike Halliday

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2013, 03:51:46 pm »
Could it be the source of the enquiry? .... Facebook

Or the people who you communicate with on Facebook are cheap people, if all your friends on Facebook were upper class people do you think you would get them asking the same 'cheap carpet cleaner' question

My leafleters asked me if I wanted to put an ad on his Facebook page so all his friends would see it, but all his friend are chavs & dolewallers  why would I want his friends as customers?
Mike Halliday.  www.henryhalliday.co.uk

rycalshaw

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2013, 04:34:43 pm »
wow mike, bit of a sweeping statement there, its an advertisement page for my area not my friends page, why would you think my friends were cheap and also how do you know your leafleters friends are all chavs and dolies..

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2013, 05:43:46 pm »
Sorry mike is right on the whole unless you have a statement like chris Straker who sells 'Eco' as well as quality but many Eco warriors know that they will have to pay more.

Filtering your enquiries can stop 'chizzits' and save you time and heart ache of the 'I'll let you know brigade' that could knock your confidence.

Shaun

SteveAllan

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2013, 05:53:55 pm »
Mikes 100% correct, I tried FB after some so called marketing guru said its the way of the future, umpteen calls later and everyone was described perfectly by Mike.
FB page now deleted, I don't want people who want "a cheap carpet cleaner"

wynne jones

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2013, 06:01:45 pm »
This is what happens when you get your friends to like your page rather than attracting targeted prospects.

It's not expensive, you just can't afford it.

rycalshaw

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2013, 06:20:48 pm »
i, m not saying mikes not correct in saying that most who look on facebook are after a cheap deal, thats what i was alluding to in my original post, dont think it helps when theres people offering carpets for £10 and suites for £35 ( a lady advertises in my local paper every week), a lot of people seeing this may think its the going rate......oooh its grim up north

Billy Russell

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2013, 06:27:23 pm »
I use Facebook quite affectivly, yes i get price shoppers, but i get price shoppers from every form of advertising, Biggest job i had from Facebook was for £900, that was last xmas, i've worked for the same family 3 or 4 times since then, infact i had a job today from them, one small vomit stain £60, in and out in 20mins, if i get a enquiry from a price shopper, i give them my price, if they dont want to pay it, fine, move on to the next, Its another avenue of enquirys, I'm still lost with Twitter though!  ;D

Mike Halliday

« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2013, 06:45:45 pm »
wow mike, bit of a sweeping statement there, its an advertisement page for my area not my friends page, why would you think my friends were cheap and also how do you know your leafleters friends are all chavs and dolies..

Why were people going onto your advertisement page and asking.....

"Does anyone know any CHEAP carpet cleaners"   ??? ???

I have seen my guys Facebook page, calling the chavs & dolewallers is paying them a complement ;) ;) scagheads and thieves would be closer to the truth ;D

Did'nt mean any offence with my questions ( not statements ) just trying to look at it from a different angle
Mike Halliday.  www.henryhalliday.co.uk

gwrightson

« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2013, 07:09:34 pm »

I quoted a job 2 days ago,  £120   , no chance she already been quoted £40 over the phone, i DID  TRY  to sell her benifits of my quote ::)roll.

I was asked to price  a suite and footstool, insisted on a ballpark figure , i quoted  £120  , she had already been quoted £40, welcome to it i though. an hour later had a call from a cleaning company that pass me work on " we have a customer would like a quote for her suite cleaning" I took her number as i was dialing i saw i had already recieved a call from that number .YES , same lady  ;D  i called her , "hello , are  you still looking for a cleaner" ?  "yes how much do you charge"  she asked , "same as an hour ago " i said  ;)  she clicked and said , well im trying to find the cheapest possible ::)roll. i guess you might even of had a call from her Mike.
On the other hand, i am cleaning a restraunt nexy week, I used to clean every 6 months, but not done for a year.  Why ? they got somebody else to clean it when I asked !!   and not happy , will i come and clean again for them?   go on then,  but its another £20  on  my usual charge  :)

Geoff
who ever said dont knock before u try ,i never tried dog crap but i know i wouldnt like  haha

James Jacob

« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2013, 09:41:23 pm »
Posted by: Ian Gourlay  Posted on: Today at 03:45:43 pm   
went to job yesterday where somebody had the job done buy a a cheap cleaner a few days before.

How did this job go Ian? What kind of condition were the carpets in after the "Cheap Job"? & what was it like after your Professional job...? Curious & Intrigued.com :)

wayne zabel

« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2013, 10:20:04 pm »
I find the quality debate a bit confusing/amusing.When I do high end properties the carpets there are usually pretty clean and only need a maintenance clean.Surely this isn't quality work as the carpets are cleanish.

Its the other end of the scale were clients have abused the carpets with spills and footwear,yet these are usually the ones that want a cheap price.

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2013, 10:31:23 pm »
It's down to respect, people don't respect their carpets and dont respect the work to be carried out and then don't respect their carpet there after, cleaning nicer homes with light soiling is far easier work in this heat but the customers are harder to find.

Shaun

Ian Gourlay

« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2013, 12:06:33 am »
 James Do not want to reveal to much as there are sleepers on here. watching

Been in poor health for two years and wanted to keep my resurrection secret  but was spoted on the third day.

But I did come out with £90 compared to £30

Simon Gerrard

« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2013, 07:27:48 am »
Are these people really cheapskates and price shoppers? Maybe some of them are, but there are those that can be converted into loyal customers if you take the time to nurture them.

Simon

ian harper

« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2013, 08:45:27 am »
rycalshaw

In my experience its value people want the best service for the best price its that balance that hard to get in marketing without swinging from one end to the other.

Respects

Ian Harper

James Jacob

« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2013, 04:46:51 pm »
Thanks for your reply Ian, however i am now even more intrigued...What do you mean about "sleepers watching"? its ok to explain as you dont need to name names...

Craigp

« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2013, 06:19:59 pm »
haha, he means there are people who read this forum who don't ever post.

Your competitors are watching.

Thats the reason many won't say to much about their business, marketing, advertising, sources of work ect.