This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Crystal-clear

Bullied by natwest cashier to open bizz acc I said no
« on: July 02, 2013, 05:23:41 pm »
It happens from time to time normally when I pay in more cheques then usal , this time she said you MUST open a business account to continue . Or they will write to you and close your account down lol... So I said look , I'm self employed small company and said i trade under my name,I have no real need for one if I was forced into It I would forever seek free banking every 2 years so don't fancy the rigmarole, also said that I don't want to pay them .80p a cheque or what ever els it is on other deposits , don't want to pay the bank pointless charges I don't need , told her I can't be alone that I'm sure many other self employed use private account , she said no , and she will call head office to force me to open one , my good god..... Sounds like a tax on the self employed would they really ask me to take my money els where ? or is she just trying to be sales woman of the year?

Any other arguments with cashiers would love to hear them also what's everyone's advice , I don't really want to open a bussniess account maybe I will later but now I'm happy the way things are going

PoleKing

Re: Bullied by natwest cashier to open bizz acc I said no
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2013, 05:26:29 pm »
Have they got one of the automatic paying in machines?
If its ever broken and I'm paying in cash they always try the hard sell while they're processing. Soon as I've got my ticket stamped I'm out if there...mid pitch sometimes.  ;D
www.LanesWindowCleaning.com

It's just the internet. Try not to worry.

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2013, 05:28:49 pm »
I have free banking with Santander. You can get one with co-op as well through FSB.

Crystal-clear

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2013, 05:44:37 pm »
Yes I did use the box for ages but one day they didn't bank them after 2 days I went to the bank got harassed again they said didn't bank then cos you need to open a bizz account they said last time i said ok..thought this was crazy but don't want to pay them .80p a cheque!

that time one of there guys called me 3 times I didn't return his calls and for the last year I've been going into banks which are busyier but today it wasn't busy pluss quite a few cheques and she had time to have a whine at me,

Do I really have to open one or are they just trying there luck is she bluffing?
If I refused would they really prefer me to take my money and savings els where over a bussniess account I don't want

Darren Spreadbury

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2013, 05:50:25 pm »
Yes you should have one. Also it's not .80p a cheque and you will get the first 2 yrs free banking.

PoleKing

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2013, 05:54:05 pm »
Don't know if they'd prefer you to leave but they will be looking at how much money you make them compared to what you cost them.
If you don't go overdrawn over your overdraught, default, get fined etc they will be thinking that you make them no money but cost them by putting cheques in.

As mentioned-have you thought about putting cash into the account you've got (they won't question that) then putting just your cheques into a free business banking account like Santander? Wait the week for them to clear then BACS across? Might be the way forward if they give you an ultimatum.
Or...if they 'force' you to open a business account 'or else...' Call their bluff-pull out all your paperwork, id etc and close every account you've got there.
Then they will (probably) try to claw your business back. It's up to you if you want to stay but you could let them calm you down and then say "ok, I'll stay-but that's the last I want to hear about business banking, Santander/NatWest/Lloyds are offering very attractive accounts..."
www.LanesWindowCleaning.com

It's just the internet. Try not to worry.

Alex Wingrove

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2013, 06:00:52 pm »
They cant make you. Its not a legal requirment

[GQC] Tim

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2013, 06:13:08 pm »
Natwest. When I came here to the UK 8 years ago I got an abominable counter service from them. I've never ever been back in there.

Perhaps not, but it's still in their terms and conditions. Meaning they can close your account if your breach their T&Cs. Happened to me with HSBC.

deeege

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2013, 06:14:40 pm »

True. But they can close your account.

They are not a charity offering their services for free.
"....and it's lend me ten pounds, I'll buy you a drink, and mother wake me early in the morning."

andi wilson

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2013, 06:19:52 pm »
I think you may need to read your terms and conditions.. They do have the right to close the account down if you are not using the account appropriately, which if you are an anal bank clerk/manager will say you are doing..

Whether or not they would is another thing..

robertphil

« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2013, 06:28:28 pm »
some  counter staff are vigilantes . i never pay in more than 5 cheques at a time after i was accused of money laundering . 

tlwcs

« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2013, 06:36:08 pm »
My bank has just relocated into the precinct, all open plan and lovely.
Take cash in though and they huff and puff about the amount and take it around the back to count it for security reasons.
Progress. My charges are paying for the relocation, joke.
Business account in Antony Lee. Cheques made out to Tony or T. Lee also seems to cause a melt down of sorts.
Bloody cheques.
They have offered to supply my Gas and Electric in the past but looked at me funnily when I refused but asked for 2 apples  and a pint of semi skimmed.
I hate banks, just robbing dogs.

matthewprice

« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2013, 07:08:48 pm »
Clydesdale bank closed my account years ago for putting in to much cash and not having a business account lol Santander all the way now lol

deeege

« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2013, 07:13:29 pm »
Completely the opposite experience for me. I bank with the Natwest, a business account because I run a business. Yes I pay for the privilege of paying in cheques etc but I'm more than happy with the service I get at my local branch. All cheques are made out to my companies trading name, which bares no resemblance to my Limited company (and account) names, never had a problem. I can also pay in cheques made out to me by name, never a problem.

I'd recommend the Natwest, but I guess people's experiences will vary from branch to branch.
"....and it's lend me ten pounds, I'll buy you a drink, and mother wake me early in the morning."

SPE

« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2013, 07:15:37 pm »
quite happy with my nationwide building society current account.

Ian Lancaster

« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2013, 07:17:34 pm »
I'm with NatWest.  Many years ago they tried the same thing on me.  It wasn't convenient for me to move to the Co-op (although I'm a longstanding FSB member) so I told the manager I wasn't happy with their business account charges and wouldn't pay them.

We negotiated and agreed on a fixed monthly fee which was much less than my charges would have been, but more than they were getting from my personal account.

Over the years they have gradually increased my fixed fee, but no more than would be justified by inflation.

I have the advantage of knowing exactly what my monthly charges will be and I still have the option of changing banks (we now have a Santander in town) should they try to revert me to a 'charge per item' arrangement.

Talk to your bank - you might be pleasantly surprised.

« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2013, 07:26:41 pm »
I dont think we should let the bankers dictate our business need.If I was told to have a business a/c I would wait for the letter. WHEN THE BANKS START TO OFFER A SMALL BUSINESS A/C I will consider going with it. The forceful way of getting you to go with there sale of a account is what going banking into a bad publicity the first place.
Any teller saying I must open a Business A/C will get only one answer " Let me start the ball rolling by cancelling my account and write to the banking Ombudsman and conveying your sales methods". will be my only response.

Alex Wingrove

« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2013, 07:49:45 pm »
Tell them the cheques are personal use.

wpclean

« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2013, 08:01:00 pm »
They are developing software now that will allow you to photograph the cheque, and sending the details electronicaly,
so you don't even have to go to the branch !

Mike #1

« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2013, 08:04:55 pm »
Cant understand anyone running a business not having a business account  ??? ??? ??? . Mike