This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

supernova77

Charging extra for first cleans
« on: June 26, 2013, 04:25:57 pm »
Hi All,

I rarely charge extra for first cleans... However I got caught out this week by a "perceived" new regular customer... Take a look at the email conversation below.

I'll be charging more for all first cleans from now on!

----

Hi Julia,

I took a look at your windows a little earlier... Exterior window cleaning on an 8 weekly basis would be £25 - This includes all frames and sills... Internal window cleaning would be an additional £35, most customers who have their internal windows cleaned only have them cleaned inside once, maybe twice a year.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Many Thanks,
Andy

----

Hi Andy

This sounds great. I would like to go with the eight week phase and twice yearly for the internal ones.

When could you start?

Many thanks

----

Hi Julia,

I hope that you were satisfied with the window cleaning carried out yesterday?

Many Thanks,
Andy

----

Hi Andy

Yes cleaning was great thanks.

However my partner thought it a bit expensive so we will no longer require you to continue

Many thanks

----

Hi Julia

One off cleans are normally 50% more so you got a good deal!

Andy

----

::)roll

roundbuilder

Re: Charging extra for first cleans
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2013, 04:32:10 pm »
What size house are we talking here?? If a semi or terraced then £60 is sky high to charge for inside and out, thre is too much competition out there to be charging prices like that. I know my limits on what i can charge, when i go beyond thats where dropouts and cancalations start apearing which i dont like.

supernova77

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2013, 04:37:17 pm »
What size house are we talking here?? If a semi or terraced then £60 is sky high to charge for inside and out, thre is too much competition out there to be charging prices like that. I know my limits on what i can charge, when i go beyond thats where dropouts and cancalations start apearing which i dont like.

This was a 3 bed semi with a small extension and a few skylights...

As you can see she was initially happy with the price - Her partner is from the North, so maybe he is used to lower prices - That might be where the problem lies.

Andy

Ian101

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2013, 04:39:09 pm »
next customer please ...............  :)

David stewart

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2013, 04:50:48 pm »
All part of the game I've learned unfortunately. When I recently started out if tried to go with pricing extra and usually ended up getting looked at like I had two heads lol

Anyone find that it's usually younger age groups who pull these fly moves who claim to want a regular only to be one offs? Same with replacing you with summer ladder boys. I guess when it comes to a toss up between a packet of fAgs or a pint or two, the latter wins with the younger generation.

lee_dewing

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2013, 06:49:18 pm »
Andy i think your price from what said was spot on if i was cheaper it would only be £2-3 pound.

Had similar recently.
woman stopped me in the street, said i'd quote later in the week said £15 front £30 allround even though i didn't get to see back as she was out.
Guessing 5-6 bed detached house with akward front bedroom with old fashioned style balcony.

She called to say go for it allround; then front only on a monthly basis.

Following day got a text from same lady saying her husbands friend is a window cleaner and he was now gonna do it.

P me of the Big house brigade.
Want special treatment most off them and hardest work going.

My favourite work is the £10-£20 range.

If someone has entry gates i run a mile ;D

Got 1 with Entrée vous Gates doing tomorrow, she makes tea ;)
Pleasure in the job puts perfection in the work.     - Aristotle

dazmond

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2013, 06:55:35 pm »
£25 for  3 bed semi with a small extension?i think it is very expensive!my price would be £15 2 monthly! ;D ;D ;D ;D
price higher/work harder!

8weekly

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2013, 07:03:10 pm »
£25 for  3 bed semi with a small extension?i think it is very expensive!my price would be £15 2 monthly! ;D ;D ;D ;D
There are 3 bed semis and 3 bed semis. A newbuild on an estate and it is expensive, but an older one with bay windows........  :-\

lee_dewing

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2013, 07:46:21 pm »
So true.

I'm going on the 1930's 3 bed semi's with 3 bays at front.

supernova77

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2013, 07:57:55 pm »
£25 for  3 bed semi with a small extension?i think it is very expensive!my price would be £15 2 monthly!

My minimum charge is £20... The house in question at £25 wasn't expensive based on all my other work - I'm not fussed that I lost it, just annoyed that after all these years as a window cleaner I was still caught out by a one-off merchant.

Andy  ;)

roundbuilder

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2013, 08:00:36 pm »
I think £60 to clean a 3bed house in and out is taking the mick unless your lucky like me to clean up eaton square/sw1 sw6 postcodes in london where 4 bed town houses are £200 in and out. Money is no object for these people.
Normal 3bed houses i normally charge £15 or £20 with a conservatory. For a 1 off i wouldnt complain about £60 in the pocket.

lee_dewing

« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2013, 08:01:33 pm »
Say to new potential customer would you like regular monthly clean or would you like a one off.

If the answers one off "oh sorry; only do monthlies"; BYE! ;D

home6442

« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2013, 08:01:45 pm »
I never worry about charging extra for one offs unless they are out of my cleaning
area.
Gave all the frames a quick wash and rinse including above vents then move on and do
a couple of regulars a few doors up.
Then come back when they have dried and finish the glass, wfp is just as quick on first cleans as it
is on repeat.
This way you never get stung or end up feeling angry all day
to me its all about having a stress free and happy work life.

tlwcs

« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2013, 08:05:16 pm »
£25 for  3 bed semi with a small extension?i think it is very expensive!my price would be £15 2 monthly!

My minimum charge is £20... The house in question at £25 wasn't expensive based on all my other work - I'm not fussed that I lost it, just annoyed that after all these years as a window cleaner I was still caught out by a one-off merchant.

Andy  ;)
[/quote

I think the prices quoted are spot on.
There will always be customers who do that, the same as window cleaners who would charge half the price.
There is no right or wrong.
Tony

Smudger

« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2013, 08:22:52 pm »
I don't think critising the price of the clean is helpful here - the customer accepted the price and the OP is getting work at these rates  8)

With regards to first cleans we charge extra for first cleans - not all the time but the majority of the work. There is also a higher price for 12 and 8 weekly cleans than 4 weekly cleans.

Charging extra for a first clean which, in effect is a bespoke clean covers the extra time taken to bring the property up to scratch and deters the chancers

Sometimes I offer the customer a half price or free clean down the line  - say the sixth clean to offset the extra charged on the first clean - this sorts out the wheat from the chaff

Darran
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk

AuRavelling79

« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2013, 08:26:10 pm »
I never worry about charging extra for one offs unless they are out of my cleaning
area.
Gave all the frames a quick wash and rinse including above vents then move on and do
Then come back when they have dried and finish the glass, wfp is just as quick on first cleans as it
is on repeat.

This erroneous statement is untrue; especially proven by the bit highlighted in red.

Always charge extra for a first clean is my motto.
It's a game of three halves!

GB Window Cleaning

« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2013, 08:31:28 pm »
£25 for  3 bed semi with a small extension?i think it is very expensive!my price would be £15 2 monthly!

Andy  ;)

I think its impossible to not get caught out now and then andy!? Don't sweat it mate!

George

home6442

« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2013, 10:44:11 pm »
area.
is on repeat.

This erroneous statement is untrue; especially proven by the bit highlighted in red.

Always charge extra for a first clean is my motto.

O.k. so you lose a few minutes going back twice I personally don't need to worry about
a few minutes here or there.
Never had a first clean take me more than 5 mins in extra time but then I suppose that's would be equal
to two three bed semis to you.

AuRavelling79

« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2013, 12:08:48 am »
Well John - you obviously aren't doing all your first cleans to a very high standard if they only take five minutes extra. And I hope this post helps the unbiased reader.

However let's assume that your generalisation is true and you are taking five minutes extra.

Let's also take just one of those "3 bed semi's" you mockingly use to illustrate your post at my expense.

A repeat clean 3 bed semi (with two 3 facet bay windows and a bedroom window and a door at the front, a side window and a door plus four windows at the back including a patio door set. Let's say that takes 15 minutes on 4 weekly and 18 minutes on 8 weekly. (typically extra spiders' nests or baked on bird muck and going above the vents from time to time raises the average time on the latter.)

If your extra 5 minutes to clean it is correct then you spend 33% extra time cleaning it. Therefore you can justify charging say £20 instead of £15.

Personally a first clean done thoroughly on my above example would probably take me 25 or 30 minutes because I would want all the spiders nests and filth above the vents got rid of and so I would scrub the whole property top to bottom quickly and thoroughly including the cills and then I would go back to the first top window I did and then go back over the glass.

I would then do the downstairs glass starting with any window not being dripped on from above and then the rest in reverse order.

I happily invest a bit extra in a first clean and charge accordingly. Because unlike you I'm not rushing it in "5 minutes extra" I have time to let it drip without driving back to finish off the glass.

I would charge £25 for a first clean (more or less depending on how filthy it was) and offer 8 weekly at £15/16 or 4 weekly at £13/14.

Then I know I have protected myself against one hit wonders masquerading as regulars.
It's a game of three halves!

8weekly

« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2013, 08:05:24 am »
5 minutes extra on a first clean? Well on a 2 bed flat maybe if the windows aren't too bad. Generally though a first clean takes me about 50% longer or more. It depends on the state of the frames. If the windows are bad I charge more, but I now have a little more protection as I now state I don't do one offs. I will make an exception for end of tenancy cleans though, but quoted over the phone at at least double or more.

But, that said I got caught out this week. No one is perfect.