This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Poll

how many work in rain

rain
67.5%
56 (67.5%)
or no rain
32.5%
27 (32.5%)

Total Members Voted: 71

Voting closed: May 14, 2013, 11:58:09 pm

JamesAJF

who works in the rain
« on: May 09, 2013, 11:51:46 pm »
is it ok to wash windows in the rain because i spoken to a lot off ppl and they all say different things who works in the rain.?
bish bash bosh

Small but perfectley formed

Re: who works in the rain
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2013, 06:00:10 am »
If its really heavy don't go , but if out cleaning I try to finish what I can would love to work any weather but it feels wrong when its windy and lashing it down.
Spit and polish

David Salkeld

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2013, 06:09:59 am »
My Mother-in-law used to say....
"there's more water coming out your brush than the sky so wrap up and get on with it....Brush on glass sonny..."
I often use this quote......and most agree.
Mind you.....I hate getting wet......YUK!!

David
Good Honest Service

Mike #1

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2013, 06:19:58 am »
Always work in rain if not to heavy , But was working in pouring rain last night in the dark till 10 pm on a builders clean . Mike

dazmond

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2013, 07:47:15 am »
if you have a busy cleaning schedule most days of the month then if you dont work in the rain sometimes then your gonna get behind with work which has a knock on affect at the end of the year leaving you with less money earnt.

obviously if its REALLY bad weather then i dont work and catch up on saturdays or when i can fit them in.

most of the time you can fit 4 or 5 hours work in even on wet days as the forecasts are always hit and miss.lots of customers are either at work or just tip up and pay without a fuss.

ive had to put a couple of large domestic jobs off until next week though as the wind is too strong to be waving a 40 ft pole about IMO!

I LIKE THE CHALLENGE! ;D ;D ;D

plus its better than sitting at home not earning looking out of the window isnt it?

you cant beat the satisfaction of coming home after 4 or 5 hours "on the glass" with a good wedge on a crappy wet day.feet up and a nice brew while your updating your records and filling up for the next days work. ;D ;D ;D ;D

good wet weather clothing and boots is a must and WFP!

WFP is king!!esp in wet weather!IT IS  A MAGIC WAND compared to struggling with the ladders like i did for many years! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
price higher/work harder!

Ian101

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2013, 08:04:37 am »
Managed to get half a day in yesterday then too windy if just rain i would have carried on

ben M

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2013, 08:05:30 am »
If you live in Manchester like Dazmond, yo have not choice to work in the rain,otherwise you will be homeless  ;D ;D ;D ;D

dazmond

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2013, 08:12:29 am »
ive got a holiday to pay for in a few weeks ben so windows are getting cleaned whether the customers like it or not!! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

lee_dewing

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2013, 08:25:28 am »
I work in drizzle that's it, but still go out on wet days if it's on off and dodge about.

I understand some guys do work in the rain.

But I don't want to argue with customers over will or won't it be ok.

As said run your round over 4 days leaving 2 days to catch up (not sunday)

Mistake i've made is keep taking on work but not pushing the price of new work higher; so increasing overall average hourly rate.

I actually think now with the winters we've been having last few years 3.5 good days earning is more do able.

44 working weeks. (2 weeks off xmas; 2 weeks holidays; 2 weeks lost to bad weather, 1 week of bank hols
1 week sickness)

4 days work a week, 24 hrs on the glass.
96 hrs a month
1152 a year. (divide your annual turnover by 1152 (hrs a year to get hourly rate)

I'm trying to head towards this.
Rain won't be too much of an issue.
Pleasure in the job puts perfection in the work.     - Aristotle

home6442

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2013, 08:35:24 am »
Light to medium rain then you shouldn't have any problems.
Its when you get a windy day with rain then that's when the problems start.
Personally with the weather as bad as it is I don't think you have a choice.

dazmond

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2013, 08:39:34 am »
lee every time you get a new job price it slightly higher than other jobs even if they are right next to other lower priced jobs.if they talk to the neighbours just say "this is my new price for new work" then put up price of older work when you think its right. ;) ;D ;D

even if its just a quid higher your earning more for time taken then if you clean these even when its raining then your earning even more!

these little tweaks make all the difference to your earnings at the end of the year mate!! ;D ;D ;D

best wishes

dazmond

ben M

« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2013, 08:41:00 am »
ive got a holiday to pay for in a few weeks ben so windows are getting cleaned whether the customers like it or not!! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
yes expensive holiday with all your mistresses!  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Ian101

« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2013, 08:43:01 am »

Mistake i've made is keep taking on work but not pushing the price of new work higher; so increasing overall average hourly rate.

took me a while to catch onto this principle as well  ::)roll

lee_dewing

« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2013, 08:48:57 am »
Thanks Daz.

Very true.

Making all these small changes.

Determined to make more this year than the last (8yrs) 4-5 yrs, which is since using GEORGE w/a

so can see figures.

Even if i just get £1000-£1500 more this year.

Gonna swicth back too fan jets at weekend and as you and others said turn up flow.

Better to finish day a bit earlier with probably same work/money done ;)
Pleasure in the job puts perfection in the work.     - Aristotle

Klean07

« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2013, 09:49:00 am »
Depends what kind of rain it is! The last few lots here in West Mids have arrived via the Sahra desert! So in which case its a deffo no no!!
kkleanwindowcleaning.co.uk

WGB

« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2013, 01:20:06 pm »
I usually look at my own windows if its raining, if theres drips running of the wall above and blowing onto the window i leave it :)

robertphil

« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2013, 02:07:11 pm »
crack on

Diamond standard ltd

« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2013, 05:22:03 pm »
Grab the pole and keep going, the mortgage man is still going to want his money!!!

GB Window Cleaning

« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2013, 06:31:33 pm »
Rain on its own wont effect the clean, RAin plus dust plus wind will!

If i see a custy smirk when i say this i go on to say..."rain actually cleans windows. Thats why the glass stays dirsty on the top where no rain hits the glass"" then if they still dont beleive me i pull on one of my tds meters and prove it with science my friends!!!  8) 8) 8)

JamesAJF

« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2013, 02:06:12 am »
wow thanks for reply's i just wanted to no because i had a customer say to me the other day that they think its very unprofessional for a window cleaner to work in the rain and i didn't really no what to say as i do work in the rain but i don't no how we are meant to make a living if ppl say no because its raining what do u say?. is rain water quit pure then.?
bish bash bosh