This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Re: Access from road safety issues pics.2
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2013, 06:03:00 pm »
Very interesting thoughts above. Here's mine.

I really like the idea of a person dumb enough to fall over a bright yellow hose, but clever enough not to slip on a mat or trip on a cone.

Visible is visible. Put one bright yellow cone out next to your bright yellow hose and I'm sure you'll be fine.

Are we in danger of turning window cleaning into an art form? :-\ ??? ;D

rg1

« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2013, 06:17:14 pm »
2nd picture you could have hooked hose over ladders onto tree then down onto grass.

Thats a ridiculous thing to suggest.

Far better to dig a trench in the pavement, lay the hose in it, tarmac it over, hey presto, all ready for next time.

Agree with this. In fact you could go one further and do it at every house and have stop cocks to attach your water supply. 
The pen is mightier than the sword (and a lot easier to write with!)

windiewasher

« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2013, 06:21:39 pm »
This is a late april fools thread ::)roll
Takings off all first cleans till march 7th 2014
October  total=  cleaned  extra per month
November = cleaned extra per month
Total £  so far.

« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2013, 06:23:56 pm »
I think if  a pedestrian was walking down the pavement and saw that fiasco they would walk around the cones and mat in fear of it being a covered up .manhole or summit,  then they still have the risk of tripping over the hose or getting  run over ;D

Do you reflect that in your Risk Assessment for each property?
I must admit to not doing rams for domestics!!

Naughty me ;D

If you are on the domestic customers property they have knowledge of your method of cleaning and know to avoid the hose. You can even have it in your T&C's that they are to keep out of the way.

However, if your hose has to cross the public footpath they are not as aware and more likely to proceed  with a claim if an accident occurs.

Avo

« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2013, 06:37:33 pm »
There could be more chance of a person tripping on your mat than the hose.. The hose is flat to the deck and should be ok  :)

Anyone had a passer by fall over the hose reel just out of interest??

« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2013, 07:18:11 pm »
There could be more chance of a person tripping on your mat than the hose.. The hose is flat to the deck and should be ok  :)

Anyone had a passer by fall over the hose reel just out of interest??

Assuming there is equal possibility of tripping over a flat mat or cone and a hose pipe. Which of the 2 do you suppose LOOKS like you are trying to reduce risks?

A hose just pulled where it falls or a set of cones and an industry standard method of preparing a walkway over hose/cables?

« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2013, 07:19:19 pm »

Standard procedure on building sites and should be on the public highway

keyser soze

« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2013, 07:30:44 pm »

now that is true. interesting to see the stats on accidents of people tripping over trailing hoses..

« Reply #28 on: April 16, 2013, 07:34:46 pm »
Not too different from the way I do things.  I use a mat anmd one yellow warning sgn normally though - the cone strategically placed on any exposed hose by the mat.  It takes maybe 30 seconds on a job - if that.

What size Paul?

« Reply #29 on: April 16, 2013, 07:35:49 pm »

now that is true. interesting to see the stats on accidents of people tripping over trailing hoses..

Even if the stats say zero, it reduces risk on building sites.

GB Window Cleaning

« Reply #30 on: April 16, 2013, 07:45:18 pm »
very pro looking and i take my hat off to ya but if i did all that on every house i would never get any work done but that's just me.

Agreed. it looks okay, and i admire your proffesionalism. but its just too much mate. i use one warning cone on houses like your showing in your pics. and thats it.

windiewasher

« Reply #31 on: April 16, 2013, 07:57:03 pm »
If anyone trips on that mat you will be sued.
Takings off all first cleans till march 7th 2014
October  total=  cleaned  extra per month
November = cleaned extra per month
Total £  so far.

ben M

« Reply #32 on: April 16, 2013, 08:25:19 pm »
I think if  a pedestrian was walking down the pavement and saw that fiasco they would walk around the cones and mat in fear of it being a covered up .manhole or summit,  then they still have the risk of tripping over the hose or getting  run over ;D
+ 1
looks like work in process and you have to avoid the pavement!

« Reply #33 on: April 16, 2013, 08:47:44 pm »
2nd picture you could have hooked hose over ladders onto tree then down onto grass.

Thats a ridiculous thing to suggest.

Far better to dig a trench in the pavement, lay the hose in it, tarmac it over, hey presto, all ready for next time.

;D

8weekly

« Reply #34 on: April 16, 2013, 08:52:05 pm »
Norman Wisdom does WFP.

« Reply #35 on: April 16, 2013, 08:53:57 pm »
If anyone trips on that mat you will be sued.

Good point, has taken me ages to find the right mat we could buy and use on our workshops, thought it would be easy but all the mats I first looked at the mat was more of a trip than the hose, so answer was .......get the right mat, ours covers the hose, does not cause a trip hazard and does the job ....protects public from tripping over a hose.

Handyman Window Cleaning Services

« Reply #36 on: April 16, 2013, 09:00:59 pm »
I have 10 terraced jobs space out on one side of a road. they are all fronts and parking is difficult .
I park at the end of road and use full length of hose.  
Do I need a 100meter long mat.

when I do job my aim is to do as many jobs possible each time I park. if its busy I make sure a cone can warn people.

but the mat thing you say take 20 seconds how many times you do that a day. say for instance 15 times a day.
WC's generally charge £1 and a window takes a minute. so whilst grafting your generating £1 a minute.
every 3 mats lose you a minute/£1 so your 15 mats are losing you £5 a day. say due to lost days through weather and holidays you manage 200 days of work in a year you have lost £1k

time is money so don't make mountains out of molehills and still go over the top, yet don't cut corners.  

people can go insane with health and safety.  It  takes a second to walk over a hose then the risk is gone.  if you were working digging up the road with heavy loud machinery would you leave ear defenders out so people can pass safely with out getting a earache.
Stephen C Brophy

« Reply #37 on: April 16, 2013, 09:09:42 pm »
very pro looking and i take my hat off to ya but if i did all that on every house i would never get any work done but that's just me.

Agreed. it looks okay, and i admire your proffesionalism. but its just too much mate. i use one warning cone on houses like your showing in your pics. and thats it.

I agree and admire with the profesional approach view
Not sure thats to much ?
Does using a caution cone omits own advise the public  ...trailing hose, hazard of tripping over my hose,
Are you then not highlighting a hazard but not actually doing anything to remove or reduce the trip hazard?

Why not remove the risk

If you need to trail a hose over a public footpath what's the benefit to you by removing that risk by covering the hose with a good protection mat, also how long would it actually take to cover it in real time

« Reply #38 on: April 16, 2013, 09:11:37 pm »
Not too different from the way I do things.  I use a mat anmd one yellow warning sgn normally though - the cone strategically placed on any exposed hose by the mat.  It takes maybe 30 seconds on a job - if that.

Good comment from Paul, does not really take a lot of time to set out a good safe work area

8weekly

« Reply #39 on: April 16, 2013, 09:17:57 pm »
The thing is that a yellow hose across a pavement is pretty stand out and visible. I would be willing to bet that statistically there is a greater chance of someone walking into your cone forest and tripping  than there is of someone tripping over a hose on the ground. I sometimes think that if people spent a little less time listening to scare stories.......