This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Stephen.C

Re: can you make overtime compulsory
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2013, 09:21:49 pm »
Get back on the tools and have 2 part timers working with you...

No more problems!
there you go good answer.
I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.

www.pureh2owindowcleaning.com

richywilts

« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2013, 09:24:27 pm »
dont get me wrong they do work hard and im quite happy to take on part timers but when you have staff winging about money issues etc asking for subs 2 weeks after monthly pay but then there not prepared to work for it im getting fed up they were all aware that come summer time i was gonna need extra off them to turn business round so card are being laid on table next week d-day they either except i expect them to work longer hours to complete there worksheets for the day or do extra work or then on there merry way bk to the dole

ive got some nice decent contracts now and can begin dumping the messers business is looking good just need to sort van and staff issues out
Incredible you couldn't make it up could you?

whats so incredible stephen??? why the sarcastic tone

Richard Wiltshire
Window Clean Direct

richardwiltshire36@yahoo.co.uk
www.windowcleandirect.co.uk

Stephen.C

« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2013, 09:36:52 pm »
You know the answers to your own questions, come on get a grip.
I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.

www.pureh2owindowcleaning.com

richywilts

« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2013, 09:40:11 pm »
i do a lot of the time i post on here i use it as a sounding board to run past other people beforehand a lot of the time just to see other peoples opinions to guage whether to run with something or not
Richard Wiltshire
Window Clean Direct

richardwiltshire36@yahoo.co.uk
www.windowcleandirect.co.uk

mark dew

« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2013, 10:29:28 pm »
business is looking good just need to sort van and staff issues out

;D

sunshine windows

« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2013, 10:29:56 pm »
Stephen banked hours means just that. They have accredited hours in the bank that they are entitled to take off. Not one Honda employee I know has any in the bank to be taken at will. They were all 'stood down' for weeks meaning they owe the company and are expected to work compulsory overtime to pay the hours back.

Richy, unless you've got it in a contract, I don't think there's much point in persuing it
To climb mount fuji you must first find a path
(Swindon, Wiltshire)

www.sunshinewindowcleaning.co.uk
www.sunshinesoftwashing.co.uk

gavinb

« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2013, 10:54:45 pm »
http://www.nidirect.gov.uk/working-time-limits-the-48-hour-week

Have a look on here you may find something of use ?

Ste M

« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2013, 05:52:36 am »
Richy the contract you had it in was called corridor hours. Basically you were laid off on a friday an those hours where then 'banked' so to say an when the busy time came you worked them for nothing as you'd already been paid. What the company did do however was if you'd banked 8 hours on a friday but wanted you to work a sat (time an a half) they'd let you do say 10 hours. 5.6 ish hours would be from your bank an the remainder would be paid as overtime.

MATT BATEMAN (OWC)

« Reply #28 on: April 12, 2013, 08:08:04 am »
If it was already written in a contract Im sure you wouldn't be asking on here.

As you cant make anybody do anything; of course there will be those who think they can, but they're called bullies. But you cant employ someone and because you think you've done them a favour as they're mates make them work extra time and expect them to jump this or that high when you click your fingers.

Most people who are employed have lives outside work. Quite often it comes before their willingness to immerse themselves into 70 + hour working weeks.

Richard iSparkle

« Reply #29 on: April 12, 2013, 08:20:48 am »
What you could do is have a meeting with them and say the business is in a bit of trouble and needs everyone who works here to do extra for the next couple of months. I understand if you are not able to do this, but if you are not then I will have to give you your notice as for this business to survive I need everyone to do extra.

I wouldnt be quite as blunt as that...  but thats the gist of it!

iSparkle Window Cleaning

www.isparklewindowcleaning.uk

Spruce

« Reply #30 on: April 12, 2013, 12:17:25 pm »
Remember we have a 48 hour maximum working week in this country.

Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

brianbarber

« Reply #31 on: April 12, 2013, 02:18:59 pm »
As you say these workers were friends.....

That's your problem, they usually take the p big time.
Plus if from factory environment they usually jobs worth.......

Mr B
If in doubt.....Leave it out !!

Richard iSparkle

« Reply #32 on: April 12, 2013, 04:09:48 pm »
Remember we have a 48 hour maximum working week in this country.

not if they sign an opt out when they sign their contract ;-)
iSparkle Window Cleaning

www.isparklewindowcleaning.uk

Paul Clapham

« Reply #33 on: April 12, 2013, 05:39:27 pm »
You can ask / tell your employees to sign a new "side letter to their contracts" , which out lines new working conditions ie extra working hours during busy times or if you get behind with work because of the weather etc etc.

If they don't want to sign get rid , and don't employ friends ever.

There must be loads of unemployed people in your area who really are willing to work, interview loads and put the best ones on a test for a month or so and push them hard to see how they get on before employing.

I would also add when I was growing my old business , (in a different industry) we only grew each time we had the staff working well and under team leaders before we added extra growth, going for growth without an excellent staff structure is not good for the growth of your / any business.

Good luck.
This is the season for fine wine, and drunken friends, enjoy this moment, for this moment is your life.