This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

lee_dewing

Am I miserable
« on: November 30, 2012, 07:55:27 am »
Hi been doing this on my own 8 years now, 7 of which wfp.

Had a day yesterday in my parents road yesterday bit underpriced, my ro set up is at parents so every one see's me filling up.

All but 1 give me a big fat zero for xmas.

But the one that did give £20 tip and bottle of plonk ;D.

Dropped another custy yesterday, she only pays if she'e in other wise rolls on until she is, wont send a cheque.
Did windows oct she wasn't in.
She was in this time with phone strapped to her ear opened door and payed me for 1 clean £15 gave me £20 note and told me keep the change smiling; when i told her it was last time to, got the old are you sure routine and gave me the look :(

Said yes and left you a bill
got"never had a bill" got paid, but when door was shut left a note to say thanks but not comfortable carrying on.

Next one is a customer who's son goes to a club my daughter does.
Custy sometimes says hello to me and my mrs but usualy blanks us.
Owes me £10 pays if she in on clean husband won't open door if it's just him, sent her text reminder monday, see custy at club thursday a big billy blank.

what would you guys do on this last one.

I hear the words standing order ;D
Should i send a letter to last custie mentioned saying politely pay and go on standing order.

I could pin her at my and my daughters kickboxing club but don't want to create any tension there as i have a lot of respect for the owners.
And also feel embarrased (silly) and don't know if that's unproffessional?

I think i've just got to an age where i see a lot of people as shallow a lot of my customers started off great but most are 5 years on plus don't get a cup of tea and barely struggle to say hello.

Just feel like i'm an inconvieneance cleaning their windows.

Thanks Lee
today's a better day i hope
Pleasure in the job puts perfection in the work.     - Aristotle

bobplum

Re: Am I miserable
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2012, 08:02:01 am »
canvass,clean.CULL >:(

OHH AND STANDING ORDER,i forgot that bit :D

robertphil

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2012, 08:04:10 am »
 Drop em now Lee

once a bottle of milk has gone sour you dont keep drinkin it !  best to move onto pastures new in my opinion  ;)

Ronnie Bryce

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2012, 08:44:20 am »
Year's ago I reckoned I was coming round far too often for people's liking. I was 4 weekly. Nowadays's I clean 6 to 8 week's. I feel people are a bit more happy with this time span. They seem to be a bit happier to see me and pay me.

Maybe your frequency is genuinely pi sn them off ?

Johnny B

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2012, 08:44:55 am »
A lot of people are stressed about something or another, and with things the way they are, this time of the year is not going to help.

Try not to take it personally. You are their window cleaner, no more, no less. If you feel uncomfortable, cull them, but before you do, ask yourself if you make enough money from them to carry on. Maybe put your prices up and see if you keep them. You have lost nothing if they say no.

Another idea is, if you see your customers looking down, why not ask them how they are. If you try to get to know your customers better and create a rapport with them, they will perhaps value you as a person rather than being 'just the window cleaner'.

John  
Being diplomatic is being able to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

Granny

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2012, 08:58:36 am »
"All but 1 give me a big fat zero for xmas."
Hi Lee
Expect nothing and you can never be disappointed.
Reality is -  no one is obligated to give you anything at all -  for Christmas or any other reason.
If they do - accept it graciously.
Happy Days ;D ;D
G.

Crystal-clear

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2012, 09:08:25 am »
Thing is as time goes on round becomes fuller and you will just find less and less time for politely put time wasters , in regards to that person who never gets the bill the one you dropped, I think because she did end up paying you in the end double you could have carried on maybe a phone call after its done would put her mind at rest that you are turning up, that's most likely what it is,

the other thing is the bill gets lost amongs junk mail I had several this time round who were asking me am I sure you did it I know how you feel it's annoying to me them questioning us but I just smile And say it was most likely lost amongs junk mail,all in all she does sound a bit dodgy why should you need to treat her in a special way, but then again we forget sometimes we are dealing with the public sometimes we just do, by the way I bet if you had offered her every other month she would stop being funny , the one who blanks you sounds like a total !!!!!!! So ye just walk away from her

CLEANCARE WC

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2012, 09:14:21 am »
Drop em now Lee

once a bottle of milk has gone sour you dont keep drinkin it !  best to move onto pastures new in my opinion  ;)

If the milk turns sour, I aint the type of pu55y to drink it!
WE CLEAN BY FAITH, NOT BY SIGHT WITH WATER FED POLE WHEN WORKING AT HEIGHT.

johnny bravo

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2012, 09:23:19 am »
drop them,  say you dont have time , got some new customers.,   let them worry about having dirty windows, not worth the stress.

Ian101

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2012, 09:35:06 am »
Tips are down this year

EandM

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2012, 09:35:36 am »
Many, many people are very stressed at the moment - but then they would be, it's nearly Christmas...

Window Washers

« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2012, 10:55:35 am »
Year's ago I reckoned I was coming round far too often for people's liking. I was 4 weekly. Nowadays's I clean 6 to 8 week's. I feel people are a bit more happy with this time span. They seem to be a bit happier to see me and pay me.

Maybe your frequency is genuinely pi sn them off ?
did you add 50% to 100% on thier bills when you changed the time span ?

Lee, I would speak to them about paying online, to the lady that does not open the door I have one customer that does this very same thing, for years she annoyed me till I asked her, would it be easier for you to pay standing order ? I then added would save you the hassle and the cost of the stamp too, she now on standing order I dont have to knock or wait for payment.

Online payments is totally the way forward for cash flow and to save your time.
If your not willing to learn, No one can help you, If you are determined to learn, No one can stop you ;)

SB Cleaning

« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2012, 11:10:43 am »
Tips are down this year
I'm not doing too bad so far ;D

Tom White

« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2012, 01:35:42 pm »
I could pin her at my and my daughters kickboxing club but don't want to create any tension there as i have a lot of respect for the owners.

You don't have to 'pin her down'; the next time you clean her windows, write on your slip, "Hi Mary (obviously use her proper name), I'll not call to collect, I'll get it off you at the kickboxing on Friday, regards, lee"

Then grab her at the kick boxing.

CLEANCARE WC

« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2012, 03:40:59 pm »

You don't have to 'pin her down'; the next time you clean her windows, write on your slip, "Hi Mary (obviously use her proper name), I'll not call to collect, I'll get it off you at the kickboxing on Friday, regards, lee"

Then grab her at the kick boxing.

And practice your drunken fighting Van Damme style!
WE CLEAN BY FAITH, NOT BY SIGHT WITH WATER FED POLE WHEN WORKING AT HEIGHT.

paul13

« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2012, 03:48:56 pm »
Tips are down this year

Tips what tips not had one this week year after year
Getting worse think this year going to be the worst.

Ian101

« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2012, 04:04:46 pm »
Tips are down this year

Had a quid today ... dont expect owt but always nice to get and treat it as a barometer on how much money people got

Tom White

« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2012, 05:23:24 pm »
Tips are down this year

Once you've had a customer for a number of years, it's rare  to get a tip of 'em.  Familiarity breeds contempt.

Small but perfectley formed

« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2012, 05:58:41 pm »
We get plenty , but our prices are probably more affordable then what most people on here say they charge .
Lee chin up that's how it is sometimes being a window cleaner.
Spit and polish

Tomboler

« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2012, 07:38:51 pm »
Tips are down this year

Had a quid today ... dont expect owt but always nice to get and treat it as a barometer on how much money people got
I've had 2 bottles of white wine, a bottle of red wine , a jar of home made marmalade and a pen with a turned wooden body !

(shame I don't drink, am citrus intolerant and have a gammy mit)

happy christmas