Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Crystal-clear

Re: Sorry to dissapoint you guys/fogwash
« Reply #40 on: November 30, 2012, 02:07:49 pm »
3 connection- water in from pump, water out to reel, gas in from bottle. They are no more dangerous than a BBQ, the biggest safety issue is making sure the gas bottle is secured properly in the back of the van.

biggest safety issue is making sure the gas bottle is secured properly in the back of the van.
so there is a danger factor?

Lee GLS

« Reply #41 on: November 30, 2012, 02:42:45 pm »
3 connection- water in from pump, water out to reel, gas in from bottle. They are no more dangerous than a BBQ, the biggest safety issue is making sure the gas bottle is secured properly in the back of the van.

biggest safety issue is making sure the gas bottle is secured properly in the back of the van.
so there is a danger factor?

I give up, stop being an old woman and fit one  :o

Rogue Trader

« Reply #42 on: November 30, 2012, 03:20:36 pm »
i say why re-invent the wheel , cold has been good enough for us til now and it will continue to be , it is just more expense and more to go wrong. Roll on the cold mornings with cold water ;D

Lee GLS

« Reply #43 on: November 30, 2012, 04:08:38 pm »
i say why re-invent the wheel , cold has been good enough for us til now and it will continue to be , it is just more expense and more to go wrong. Roll on the cold mornings with cold water ;D

Trad used to be good enough until WFP came out  ;)

Spruce

« Reply #44 on: November 30, 2012, 04:10:05 pm »

20 years ago. cleaning windows with a ladder and squeegy was the only way. 60 years ago, a chamois leather was the way to go. I'm sure that deionised water isn't the end of the window cleaning line. Maybe altrasonic cleaners will be next, who knows.

There is always the chance of a gas leak at the bottle not matter how slim, the reason why caravans always have their gas bottles on the towbar and not inside the van.
I personally would rather install an autogas Vapour tank with the inlet and outlet ports sealed behind a cover plate and vented outside. Filling would also be done outside. For those using portable refill gas bottles, this must be refilled with the bottle outside of the van.  
Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

Spruce

« Reply #45 on: November 30, 2012, 04:11:20 pm »

Trad used to be good enough until WFP came out  ;)

Sorry Lee, you got there first  :)

Crystal-clear

« Reply #46 on: November 30, 2012, 04:13:27 pm »
you see lee this is the thing , im crap at this sort of poop and i can just imagine my van blowing up and all my kit , wait a min forgot about me for a sec too  ;D
as spuce said the word "gas leak"

Dave Willis

« Reply #47 on: November 30, 2012, 04:23:24 pm »
Concept20's heater runs on gas I believe.

I would also hazard a guess that caravans have the gas bottle outside to reduce the risk of inhaling the stuff whilst you sleep should there be a leak.

Spruce

« Reply #48 on: November 30, 2012, 04:38:04 pm »
you see lee this is the thing , im crap at this sort of poop and i can just imagine my van blowing up and all my kit , wait a min forgot about me for a sec too  ;D
as spuce said the word "gas leak"

The gas regulator screws into the gas bottle's on/off valve and is sealed with a rubber o ring. A responsible operator will always check that o ring to make sure it hasn't started to deteriorate and crack or being damaged.
If this wasn't done each time, then their is a possibility of a gas leak if the regulator was assembled with a perished/damaged o ring. I also admit that this is based on experience in the caravan world over the past 50 years. I'm sure the quality of rubber o rings have improved during this time, but they can still be damaged during assembly.

Dave Willis

« Reply #49 on: November 30, 2012, 04:48:06 pm »
I normally hold my cigarette really close to the gas cylinder and watch to see if the smoke blows off course.

Spruce

« Reply #50 on: November 30, 2012, 04:57:49 pm »
I normally hold my cigarette really close to the gas cylinder and watch to see if the smoke blows off course.

;D A match works just as well if you don't smoke.

Rogue Trader

« Reply #51 on: November 30, 2012, 08:49:06 pm »
re: not re-inventing the wheel,

IMO hot water is one step to far for me , most of you are one man bands and want to tinker with your systems and make your working day easier and more interesting , i cant blame you for that and if i was out every day on the tools i would probably also want to take my system to the next stage and install a boiler. However for me cold water works and works well and i have 4 vans going out every day with cold water, over 2000 happy customers (well most of them are happy anyway) that get their windows cleaned with cold water. Like i said for me adding anything to this already succesful formula is pointless for me , maybe not for some of you though. I get your point about TRAD vs WFP etc however we are not talking about a change in working practices as great as this and all the benefits this brings.

What we are really discussing is

PRO

the windows may get cleaned quicker using hot water
easier for vans to thaw on frosty mornings

CONS

more expense (initial and ongoing)
logistical headaches in installing a boiler
more to go wrong
extra responsibility re dangers of using gas (especially if you have staff)
making a good and simple money making machine more comlicated than it needs to be.

Like i said for me hot water is not a good advance for my business and i wont be doing it.

Spruce

« Reply #52 on: November 30, 2012, 08:54:00 pm »

IMO hot water is one step to far for me , most of you are one man bands and want to tinker with your systems and make your working day easier and more interesting , i cant blame you for that and if i was out every day on the tools i would probably also want to take my system to the next stage and install a boiler. However for me cold water works and works well and i have 4 vans going out every day with cold water, over 2000 happy customers (well most of them are happy anyway) that get their windows cleaned with cold water. Like i said for me adding anything to this already succesful formula is pointless for me , maybe not for some of you though. I get your point about TRAD vs WFP etc however we are not talking about a change in working practices as great as this and all the benefits this brings.

PRO

CONS

more to go wrong
making a good and simple money making machine more comlicated than it needs to be.

Like i said for me hot water is not a good advance for my business and i wont be doing it.

I think I would also stay away from hot water if I was in your situation.

G Griffin

« Reply #53 on: November 30, 2012, 08:54:57 pm »
Gas, bottle, bottle, gas.
Jus' like that.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

jarvy

« Reply #54 on: November 30, 2012, 09:22:31 pm »
Good god,i was searching what sticker to use if carrying a gas bottle,found the rules on it and am now taking mine out!!
http://www.bcga.co.uk/preview/publications/L12005.pdf
www.wedgwoodcleaning.co.uk

"If you were twice as smart, you'd still be stupid"

Window Washers

« Reply #55 on: November 30, 2012, 09:35:15 pm »

PRO

CONS

more to go wrong

very good points, great post . have you looked into it at all even though you are clearly not going to use it!  I'm temped for the reasons I said above but it will come down to if it profits me or not because I agree with most of what you have written and has stopped me from doing it.

Healthy debate anyone no the extra profits involved.
If your not willing to learn, No one can help you, If you are determined to learn, No one can stop you ;)

colin purewater

« Reply #56 on: November 30, 2012, 09:51:40 pm »
I use hot wash  its awesome!!

Balls to all the safety crap I've got half
A ton of water behind me  and a tank
Full of fuel with me every day!!

If i crash the chances of the gas getting me
1st Is very small ...

Ill be flat as a pancake off the tank!

keep it simple

Dave Willis

« Reply #57 on: November 30, 2012, 10:47:02 pm »
Good god,i was searching what sticker to use if carrying a gas bottle,found the rules on it and am now taking mine out!!

Oh god! How will I get the barbecue gas home now? I must book myself on another training course before the Summer.

Hey, that could be day five on the NVQ course - how to use a hot system.  Kerrrching!

Window Washers

« Reply #58 on: November 30, 2012, 10:50:18 pm »

Oh god! How will I get the barbecue gas home now? I must book myself on another training course before the Summer.

Hey, that could be day five on the NVQ course - how to use a hot system.  Kerrrching!
^_^ boring
If your not willing to learn, No one can help you, If you are determined to learn, No one can stop you ;)

bobplum

« Reply #59 on: November 30, 2012, 10:54:01 pm »

i take it you dont like courses ???