This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

ArchieHughes

Want To Start Up Financial Cost?
« on: November 25, 2012, 09:39:09 am »
Hi All,

Ive been a member of this forum for a while now, When I first joined I wanted to try something that would allow me the freedom of self employment but also earn me enough to get by.

Since I was last on here my situation has changed, I am in the process of going through a Divorce and getting access to my two boys. I also recently was made redundant from my job (my nickname is lucky lol) so now more than ever I think the window cleaning business of reach and wash will suit me as it will give the flexibility to be able to see my children and play as active a role as possible.

I have been the local jobcentre plus and asked about possible business start up grants etc to which their is some but I need to get all the information together and wondered if people can advise on possible cost? I was looking at purchasing a complete 2nd hand set up including van rather than buying new as it would not be cost effective.

I would also be looking to gain some knowledge by working with someone for free for a week maybe to learn how the set up works etc, So if anyone is in the South Wales area and wants a free helping hand let me know.

Many Thanks All

GoodFella2006

Re: Want To Start Up Financial Cost?
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2012, 10:08:33 am »
First and main problem with wfp is producing pure water and transferring it to the van.

If you've got a driveway,garage or nearby parking,you'll be OK.

wpclean

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2012, 10:17:48 am »
Sorry to hear about your problems, I have been there and greatly sympathise.       It is a good thing you want to keep a close bond with your kids, and window cleaning will help as you can fit the business around your family.

It is not easy to start a wc business from scratch, but like anything in life you can make it work with plenty of effort.
I would suggest contacting local window cleaners, and asking if they have any spare work for sale as well as asking
for advice.        The best way to gain work is to be  professional . . . . . signed workwear, good website, business cards.

People respond to a positive person, so keep smiling and ask lots of questions  ;D

Window Washers

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2012, 10:25:56 am »
First and main problem with wfp is producing pure water and transferring it to the van.

If you've got a driveway,garage or nearby parking,you'll be OK.
if he doesn't he could have an onboard instead
If your not willing to learn, No one can help you, If you are determined to learn, No one can stop you ;)

Granny

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2012, 11:17:25 am »
Hi
Archie if you're looking at starting from scratch including the van you're talking thousands not hundreds.
And that is second hand.
I started buying kit in March this year and I am several thousand in already ??? ???
Don't want to put you off but you need to count the cost carefully especially with a divorce and two kids in the picture.
Grants are available but the general rule tends to be - grant available only if the business has no financial chance of starting without it -  i.e. you have no money - so you are starting at a disadvantage with your back against the wall from day one.
And you will have to jump through several hoops to get the money.
It can be done but if you have a bit of a financial backup for the hard times you will be less stressed,if not it could be hard going.
G.

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2012, 11:23:36 am »
second hand equipment is false economy, if its sold second hand, that just means its just about to fall to bits

deeege

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2012, 11:29:03 am »
second hand equipment is false economy, if its sold second hand, that just means its just about to fall to bits

Disagree.
"....and it's lend me ten pounds, I'll buy you a drink, and mother wake me early in the morning."

tompoole

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2012, 12:10:24 pm »
Where are you located?
Start up depends on whether you need to earn quickly or not.
Happy to talk you through setting up, I'm in my 5th year
And all my kit was bought through earnings not loans.
I started with , ladder , 10 scrims , 10 microfibres and
Mop n blade. Took half as wages and invested other half in kit
As I earned.
Call me if you want free advice on 07889998718, it's easier to
Chat that write, saves any argueing.
I'm now wfp and have van mount, back pack and trad .
Leave a message if I don't answer I will call you back

wpclean

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2012, 12:13:07 pm »
Where are you located?
Start up depends on whether you need to earn quickly or not.
Happy to talk you through setting up, I'm in my 5th year
And all my kit was bought through earnings not loans.
I started with , ladder , 10 scrims , 10 microfibres and
Mop n blade. Took half as wages and invested other half in kit
As I earned.
Call me if you want free advice on 07889998718, it's easier to
Chat that write, saves any argueing.
I'm now wfp and have van mount, back pack and trad .
Leave a message if I don't answer I will call you back
Nice touch fella, this forum needs more like you.

DG Cleaning

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2012, 12:19:02 pm »

Disagree.

+1

wpclean

« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2012, 12:26:22 pm »
Buy cheap . . . . pay twice !

♠Winp®oClean♠

« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2012, 12:27:19 pm »
Depending on your water softness, you can have a full working van mount system, brand new for approx £1000 to £1500 including pole! You just need a half descent second hand van to put it in then. ;)

spudd

« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2012, 12:40:43 pm »
Well least you got your name sorted

"Lucky window cleaners"  ;)

Window Washers

« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2012, 01:19:55 pm »

Disagree.
so do I, you can get some right good deals second hand more so because a lot start up then quit, but I get what Dave is meaning too
If your not willing to learn, No one can help you, If you are determined to learn, No one can stop you ;)

robertphil

« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2012, 02:15:20 pm »
you should be able to get started for £100 trad.   id recommend it , its very therapeutic mentally , as well as physically of course

roundbuilder

« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2012, 08:25:21 pm »
Even wfp would be cheap from your current car. £100 backpack 2nd hand ro £100 or knew one £300. 10 25 litre barrels which you can get for free. Then make a harris pole for less than £20 which 99% of normal somestic houses.

There you go your away from as little as £200 to start you off which will keep you out of jail untill you can afford van, full system decent poles etc

roundbuilder

« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2012, 08:31:21 pm »

Stupid advice. Some great 2nd hand bargains to be had.
Through this site over the years i have bought and sold lots of 2nd hand gear with loads of life left. Not all people have a spare £1500 for a 60ft pole when they can get a decent 2nd hand for as little as £250 like i did, bit tatty but did the job.
1000 litre baffled tank £450 new got mine from ebay £150 perfect order and condition
Sureflow backpack £250 new got mine £80 all working fine
Second hand bargains to be had all over ebay and gumtree etc.

Tony Edwards

« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2012, 08:59:58 pm »

That's a very harsh statement. I have brought a lot of stuff second in good condition well priced and works perfectly

sf

« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2012, 09:38:15 pm »
Where to in cardiff you located Archie.I might be able to help you out.

bradboy

« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2012, 10:02:28 pm »
a cheap van for about £400 and a second hand wfp £4/500 and your away, i know just done it