This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

SB Cleaning

Re: Want To Start Up Financial Cost?
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2012, 10:32:25 pm »
second hand equipment is false economy, if its sold second hand, that just means its just about to fall to bits

That's a very harsh statement. I have brought a lot of stuff second in good condition well priced and works perfectly
And me :)

lal

« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2012, 10:55:21 pm »
second hand equipment is false economy, if its sold second hand, that just means its just about to fall to bits

Disagree.

+1
+2

Spruce

« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2012, 11:00:16 pm »

I agree with Dave. Although the statement is a bit 'blunt' I have seen some absolute junk for sale out there - stuff that should have been binned. I've seen it mostly on Ebay. My list includes knackered poles, brushes, backpacks, pumps and some well worn van systems that aren't worth a 'bean.'

However, I have also seen some used equipment in good condition. How does a newbie decided what is good value and what isn't if he has no experience? Hence buying new with the right advise is good practice.
Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2012, 11:24:23 pm »
Some large Items might be good second hand, but your average, 20ft pole will be on the verge of there clamps spinning, controllers less than half life gone, pumps the same, hosereels about  to fall apart and hose ready to burst.

Why take the risk when the sellers want 70% of the new prices.

A little used 60ft pole is a different matter unless its over 5 - 6 years old with old style clamps and you have thouroughly examined first,, tanks may be a safe bet, as its hard for anything to go wrong with them..

I once bought a second hand static ionics system, served its purpose but after further research I could have had a brand new Purefreedon for the same price.

Its horses for courses, but new stuff is relatively cheap compared to second hand, why take the risk

Do you want to spend all your time fixing equipment, or spend that time cleaning windows.

DG Cleaning

« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2012, 01:53:57 am »
I bought a tank second hand (dont know why anyone would buy a new one), pump second hand, reconditioned di vessels, new hose and reel, new brush, made my own pole. I think I got the balance about right, only concern would be the pump but its been fine so far. I wouldn't buy second hand hose and reel because they get the most stick. Didn't bother with a pump controller, its something else to go wrong imo, without one I can work all day on 400l with a fair bit left.

gr cleaning solutions

« Reply #25 on: November 26, 2012, 07:44:39 am »
When I started three years ago trying to get grants was very very hard i had a business plan all done by a pro which was funded by business link and the job centre still did not want to know . I managed to get some funding for equipment though an other company called working links . The only thing I got from the job centre was a set of new ladders and self employment credit which you get when you sign of to go self employed it £50 a week for 16 weeks but you have to ask for it

Good luck Gavin

PoleKing

« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2012, 10:06:15 pm »
2nd hand stuff is fine but if youre really green try taking someone with you when you get it-theyll have a better idea of how long its likely to last you.

www.laneswindowcleaning.com
www.LanesWindowCleaning.com

It's just the internet. Try not to worry.

ArchieHughes

« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2012, 11:04:52 pm »
Many Thanks for the replies all. It is funny someone mentioning the jobcentre etc, I have been informed about the £50 a week for 16 weeks etc. I also need to enquire about working tax credits if im entitled as a single person now that has access to children.

On the subject of business plan, I will need to put one together in order to possbily access grant funding plus the jobcentre will ask for it as they will assign me a business advisor. Has anyone done a business plan for a wfp business?

Ian Lancaster

« Reply #28 on: November 27, 2012, 01:55:18 pm »
Hi Archie,

All you need to do for a window cleaning business is show how you expect your customer base to grow.  This is a basic plan I used throughout my period of developing my Franchise organisation.  I achieved better than the figures shown and reached each of my franchisees' chosen targets within six months.  Consistent canvassing until the weekly targets were reached kept me on track, other enquiries enhanced the growth.

The layout is a bit rough, I pasted it from my Word document but the figures are all there.  This is based on a 4-weekly repeat round.  You will get other periods (6,8 and even 12 weekly) but as it's based on only getting the smallest jobs you will still be well over the figures because many of your jobs will be for much more than this.

Business Plan: September 2008  

September:                        

During September canvass £400             Weekly round valuation:  £100
(£100 per week, max of 10 jobs/wk at £10 each)

During October canvass additional £400           “      “     £200

During November canvass additional £400           “   “   £300

During December canvass additional £200           “   “   £350
(Slow month!!)

During January canvass additional £300            “   “   £425
(Still slow but improving - 7-8 jobs/wk at £10)  

During February canvass additional £600             “   “   £575
(Early in year: best time to canvass - 15 jobs/wk at £10)

During March canvass additional £600             “   “   £725

During April canvass additional £600            “   “   £875

During May canvass additional £600            “   “   £1,025

wpclean

« Reply #29 on: November 27, 2012, 04:23:21 pm »
Ian did you canvas all the work yourself, or did you have help ?

Tony Edwards

« Reply #30 on: November 27, 2012, 04:44:02 pm »

Ian

Great planning. I find it hard to relate to that though as my average custy is around £35.00. I picked up a £35.00 and £80.00 x 6 weekly yesterday. As I target the top end its harder to get but higher averages when you get them.

Maybe I should take your advice and target a few more of the cheaper end  to fill in the gaps.

Just coming into my 6th month from scratch and got £1000 a month of regular work and about £200-250 one offs each week( connys, gutters etc).

Any advice mate or shall I just carry on as I am ?

Granny

« Reply #31 on: November 27, 2012, 05:24:04 pm »

Ian

Great planning. I find it hard to relate to that though as my average custy is around £35.00. I picked up a £35.00 and £80.00 x 6 weekly yesterday. As I target the top end its harder to get but higher averages when you get them.

Maybe I should take your advice and target a few more of the cheaper end  to fill in the gaps.

Just coming into my 6th month from scratch and got £1000 a month of regular work and about £200-250 one offs each week( connys, gutters etc).

Tony
Targeting the top end?
Is this larger detatched properties?
Out in the sticks?
Affluent areas?
I  find most of these have security gates anyway so hard to get at :(
You're doing well at those prices - hard to get  but you don't need as many ;D

Tony Edwards

« Reply #32 on: November 27, 2012, 05:33:36 pm »
Granny

All of those. If they have a security gate I still buzz and 80% of the time they open the gate.

Never get cancelled or " not today thanks ". I also get the add on work once they have seen the quality of my work.

Ian Lancaster

« Reply #33 on: November 27, 2012, 05:35:00 pm »
Ian did you canvas all the work yourself, or did you have help ?

All the canvassed work came via me going out on my own and knocking.  Now my Master Franchisee does it - building up his area.

Ian Lancaster

« Reply #34 on: November 27, 2012, 05:43:19 pm »

Ian

Seems you're doing just fine as you are ;)

I target smaller jobs because there are more of them and I need to build volume quickly, so I can knock more doors in the same time.  Also if they drop out, it's a smaller loss to replace.  That's how I create a viable customer base.  Larger jobs come via local advertising, recommendation etc and get integrated into the growing round to give a good mix of 'bread and butter'  and 'cream'.

Tony Edwards

« Reply #35 on: November 27, 2012, 05:47:32 pm »
Cheers Ian

Good point maybe I will target more bread and butter work

Granny

« Reply #36 on: November 27, 2012, 07:13:23 pm »
Good advice here -  thanks!
Good spread of different types of work seems to be the best option.
Canvassing results can last for years though, that I find, is the great thing about it.
Working today and I was thinking I have had hundreds of pounds off this customer  - mind you I've worked for it - just because I walked up to their door and knocked and asked and this could go on for years and years and ........  :D
It's great.
G.

ArchieHughes

« Reply #37 on: December 13, 2012, 09:21:20 am »
Thanks all for the advice. I just wondered some of the figures suggested for example I am now earning £1000 a month after 6 months is this taking into account your outgoings for the business like chemicals, Fuel etc?

steven ainger

« Reply #38 on: December 13, 2012, 09:27:01 am »
Its not just the out goings like fuel exuipment etc you have to allow for, theres also holiday, sick time off for bad weather ( this can be weeks in a bad winter )
Most dont take this into account

R.C Property

« Reply #39 on: December 13, 2012, 10:01:14 am »
I started off just over a year ago, built my own 2 man system in my van, 2 pumps, 2 reels got 7 poles in total, upto 42ft. trad gear for 2 people, static 1000lt ro system.
Hot water system

In total with buying a berlingo van cost me £3000