This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

sunshine windows

feeling the cold???
« on: February 03, 2006, 03:14:08 pm »
Hi all,

Don't know how many of you are still cleaning the traditional way. Seems to be most are using the wfp systems now. But I was sure feeling the cold on my fingers this morning.

As i'm not fully booked up yet i decided enough was enough today when the water started turning to ice as soon as it hit the windows.

Can anybody out there recommend a good brand of gloves for using in the freezing weather. I'm currently using the unger neoprene divers type and they're bloody useless at £12.50 a pair.

Thanks in advance for replies
Sunshine
To climb mount fuji you must first find a path
(Swindon, Wiltshire)

www.sunshinewindowcleaning.co.uk
www.sunshinesoftwashing.co.uk

batterbee

Re: feeling the cold???
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2006, 03:45:07 pm »
Hi sunshine

I use sealskinz gloves cant fault them keep my hands lovely and warm sometimes too warm.

Got them from soap national around £16. www.soapnational.co.ukhttp://

Regards john
JB CLEANING SERVICES, NORWICH, NORFOLK.

sunshine windows

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2006, 03:48:33 pm »
thanks john i'll get a pair on order now. Any discount for bulk buys??

sunshine
To climb mount fuji you must first find a path
(Swindon, Wiltshire)

www.sunshinewindowcleaning.co.uk
www.sunshinesoftwashing.co.uk

batterbee

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2006, 03:52:22 pm »
Don't know about gloves but you get discount on bulk rubbers definitely one off the cheapest around.

john

www.mrgutters.co.uk

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2006, 06:52:45 pm »
hi all

i rang my cousin for something , he lives in south africa , i was how are things there he said

ahh nice hot today its 30 c , and his at the beach !!

and there i was holding a 20 ft pole of ice cleaning windows !

icant handle much more of this  ;)

shawn
If a job's worth doing, it's worth doing well.

rosskesava

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2006, 08:05:36 pm »
We've been doing commercial work today. It was all mop and squeegie stuff and the whole lot was outside work.

Started at 9am.

By 2pm I was done in from the cold.

By 3pm I'd had enough.

Does anyone else find the cold tiring?

supernova77

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2006, 08:11:37 pm »
I started at 9am today, and by 9:30am thought what the hell am I doing! Why did I give up my office job last year!  :)

But I worked until 3:30pm and got all jobs in that needed doing today, and I earnt more than I would have if I was still in my office job :)

Franky2020

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2006, 08:21:13 pm »
I done one commercial job this morning which took a hour and half for inside and out which pays £100 and called it a day. Waiting till its a bit warmer

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2006, 08:23:05 pm »
Hi sunshine

I use sealskinz gloves cant fault them keep my hands lovely and warm sometimes too warm.

Got them from soap national around £16. www.soapnational.co.ukhttp://

Regards john

Thanks for the link.  I've ordered some for Wor Lass.

jon adams

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2006, 08:33:18 pm »
wot do you wear gloves for? there just for girl thingys,years ago we used to have real winters with snow. Tip, let your fingers go numb and then the hotaches and after they will stay ok all day. Stop whining and get on with the job   8)

batterbee

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2006, 08:40:53 pm »
No problem :) soap national prices are very hard to beat I've used them since i started window cleaning 7 years ago, they've always got wot you want in stock and never takes more than 3 days to get them, also very friendly a pleasure to do business with ;)

Regards john

dai

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2006, 08:55:10 pm »
This is the best start to a year since I began cleaning. I have not lost any time at all since starting back on 2nd January. My Indonesian Mrs went on strike on Wednesday. Poor girl having grown up on the equator couldn't hack it. I always wear gloves summer and winter, need them as well with the aluminium pole first thing in the morning. Ive been using cycling gloves from Aldi. They aren't water proof but your hands stay warm even if they get wet. Well worth the £2.99 a pare. Dai

batterbee

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2006, 09:00:25 pm »
wot do you wear gloves for? there just for girl thingys,years ago we used to have real winters with snow. Tip, let your fingers go numb and then the hotaches and after they will stay ok all day. Stop whining and get on with the job   8)

Jon

The only reason i wear gloves is that i have an alloy wfp and at 5am its like holding a lump of ice which is then a lot harder to control, this i could if  hack if i wanted too but whats the point  ??? i put the gloves on no icy hands and i can control pole better sounds sense to me  ;)

Regards john

AuRavelling79

« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2006, 09:07:10 pm »
I use ungers and this is how they work ;)

1. Rest the cuffs under the rubber mat on your dashboard and let the fingers hang over the heater vents.

2. Put a pair of those gloves you get at filling stations on first. (Polythene - loose fitting)

3. Put warmed up Ungers on top.

4. Go like Billy Whizz and you'll stay warm.

(After a couple of months the thumb and forefinger ends wear thin or into holes and thats where the polythene underglove extends their life until spring.)
It's a game of three halves!

KJG

« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2006, 02:18:09 am »

I wear gloves because I'm not too keen having tramps p|ss, drunken puke and green flob on my hands after cleaning shop doorways etc. However, I agree that those who wear them for the cold are poofs ;D

simbo

« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2006, 08:20:10 am »
do any of you actually find you are more productive at this time of year, i know i am like malc said , go like billy wizz. I never thought i would say this, but its a lot better than the summer no fly s**t hardly any cobwebs. just wear the right kit and gloves and no probs at all, when the wind gets up though, thats a different story
cheers simb0

D.Salkeld_Ltd

« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2006, 08:43:03 am »
Got to admit it Boys..........

I'm a big wimp when my danny's is cold!!!

so I got a pair of Unger Neoprene Gloves.  First couple of days.... lovely... Them they split between the forefinger and next fimger on the right hand....letin water when i wring out the sill cloth.  I rang Cleantech and they Kindly sent me another glove.
Two weeks letar exactly the same thing.

I think the UNGER GLOVES are b....y useless!!

So I'm going to order some of those Sealskinz

David
Not Perfect - But Honest

martindrz400

« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2006, 09:00:59 am »
yes i agre unger gloves are not good go to a good hiking shop they sell water prooth gloves very warm as well .these are the gloves what mike miears wears (sas)

Londoner

« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2006, 09:15:38 am »
If you ask me its miserable working in the cold so this time of year i do as little as possible. I have always found that most customers are more than happy to miss a month in the winter..
Actually you are doing them a favour as well because most of them are skint after Christmas anyway.
I have found very few people are bothered, only really houseproud people want their windows cleaned in the winter.
But by American or Canadian standards this is not cold, over there they have months where it way below freezing.
How do they get on over there? Does anyone have any experience?

matt

« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2006, 10:49:24 am »
.these are the gloves what mike miears wears (sas)

do you mean mike myers

yeah baby  ;D ;D ;D

didnt think he was in the SAS though, would have been funny to see that ;)