This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

LWC

Im in the mood for changing my name,  ;D up to me aint it, im just having a laugh. Up to you if you want to put your real name on. Everyone knows who i am on here, ive got nothing to hide, i regularly change my name on here, just for comedy value. Im out to have a laugh in life Andy. Not worry about what other people are doing. Just annoys me that some people are out to ruin it for others when i can see theyve done no harm.

Like i said, im not picking on you, but you do need to take a step back and think about it. Sometimes you can get caught up in it all, seems to me like youve just "got one over" on this bloke.

Lets kiss and make up  ;)

trevor perry

i honestly think it was very unsafe for the windows to be cleaned the way they where and better ways are definately available, i personally has i have already said would use wfp first 3 floors and the top floor from within balcony without climbing over, andrew disagrees with this and points out the risk of dropping the pole on someone hence needing to cordon off a designated work area this is a good point but if was carried out on all work would make the use of wfp impossible for use in most areas ie how do you cordon off a fall area if working near a road this is where health and safety becomes a joke, andrew mentions cleaning the sash windows from inside again this is something that is possible and have done many times but again the truth is in reality is 90% of the time impracticle due to furniture, sticking due to paint or swollen frames and even not being balanced correctly so the panels drop down when opened which can cause trapped hands and even shattered glass that can fall on passers by, my point is whatever method is chosen there are risks and in my view the risk of a falling pole is minimal providing operater is experienced and weather conditions are taken into consideration 
better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove any doubt

♠Winp®oClean♠

probably 80% of my whole work is sash windows & almost NONE of them are designed to be cleaned from the inside. ???

The only ones that can be done this way are either VERY modern or have been hinged professionally.

I would say your suggestion to clean from the inside is a none starter, or are sash windows different down south?

Live in Lincolnshire,  ;D  Where are you based, as I am happy if we have a workshop in your area to come out and show you how to clean a Sash window
thats not me being funny   

Please explain how to do this when each (top & bottom) section is 6ft + in height?

stuart mc

probably 80% of my whole work is sash windows & almost NONE of them are designed to be cleaned from the inside. ???

The only ones that can be done this way are either VERY modern or have been hinged professionally.

I would say your suggestion to clean from the inside is a none starter, or are sash windows different down south?

Live in Lincolnshire,  ;D  Where are you based, as I am happy if we have a workshop in your area to come out and show you how to clean a Sash window
thats not me being funny   

Please explain how to do this when each (top & bottom) section is 6ft + in height?

you can't, I explained this on another post, as you rightly said the only way is to stand on the ledge to get the upper glass

♠Winp®oClean♠

thats not me being funny   

you can't, I explained this on another post, as you rightly said the only way is to stand on the ledge to get the upper glass

Agreed. ;)

Nathanael Jones

I reckon its an after hours cherry picker job,..

Frankybadboy

Sorry but havent you got anything better to do

Yes, forgot the clocks went back and waiting for Mrs Willis, so putting a little bit into Clean It Up 

Im sorry Andy, im not picking on you, if this is what you do then this is what you do. I just think health and safety is a joke, yes it does implement some good, but most of it is just nonsense, i cant help but think you (all h and s) havent got anything better to do.

That man has probably been cleaning those windows like that for years, he looked like he'd done it before...he wasnt harming anyone, no one got hurt, yeh ok maybe a harness would of helped but how long would that of taken him clipping on and un clipping, those ledges look pretty big to me to. I can see no harm in what hes done, id still clean like that today no problem. Yeh if he was barely gripping onto a ledge and not much for him to stand on id think fair enough thats dangerous. But not this chap.

Hes out, not bothering anyone, working earning a living and now because certain people have nothing better to do hes probably in a whole heap of trouble! Seriously take a step back for a minute and think about it. More time should be spent on the people who are sat at home doing sod all taking our money that WE work for.

Sorry don't agree with your post

Put the name of the person you love the most in your next post
Then imagine this guy had fallen off that building and killed them

Would you shrug it off and quote what you have put on here? ::) 
it was me,now can you come to bristol or bath and give me a free course place ;D ;D ;D ;D

trevor perry

using a cherrypicker would add £100s to the price of the job and in my opinion you are still working at height when this can be avoided by using WFP but i do take your point that it could be cleaned after hours or may be early morning
better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove any doubt

Steve Sed

Vested interest.

My wife works for an IT company. One of their divisions just has to produce a risk assessment in order to erect a stand at an exhibition. All the stand had was a couple of pull up banners. When she told me, I said well that's just the way it is now. She said it was the only exhibition they had ever had to do this with. I am guessing that they just had consultants like the one above in.

stuart mc

have you ever been round the back of one of these jobs? you couldn't a cherry picker anyway near it and as for the front in a city centre there is not an out of hours really

for the guy who said wfp it, you can some of the windows but not them all, the ones I have are done monthly and are done inside and out and there are thousands of these buildings, imagine thousands of cherry pickers across every city centre ???

they can be cleaned safely without doing what that guy did, but I will not judge him as he has probably did it that way for years, and it isn't half as bad as it looks

mikey

every time something comes up that people have to think about ie   a little bit of thought the fasion police step in with there cherry pickers

G Griffin

the fasion police step in with there cherry pickers

You mean Winklepickers?
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

sunshine windows

Thanks for the response Andrew.

So, it seems a job like this is a complete ball ache, whichever method of cleaning you choose to undertake. Either breaking health and safety legislation or the bank balance if the customer.
To climb mount fuji you must first find a path
(Swindon, Wiltshire)

www.sunshinewindowcleaning.co.uk
www.sunshinesoftwashing.co.uk

SPE

I wonder how much he was being paid for this ?
I clean many sash windows from inside and it appears many on here hate cleaning from inside - customer having to be in, furniture in way etc. (they normally want double the price too).
In an ideal world, all sash style windows would open as they are meant to and be maintained but they are not, painted stuck, warped frames, broken sash cords etc.
If this guy could have cleaned it safely from inside as suggested, it would have taken him so much longer, would the hotel have paid that added expense ? 

Spruce

I wonder how much he was being paid for this ?
I clean many sash windows from inside and it appears many on here hate cleaning from inside - customer having to be in, furniture in way etc. (they normally want double the price too).
In an ideal world, all sash style windows would open as they are meant to and be maintained but they are not, painted stuck, warped frames, broken sash cords etc.
If this guy could have cleaned it safely from inside as suggested, it would have taken him so much longer, would the hotel have paid that added expense

Probably not then, but after they have all been prosecuted, then yes they will in future - if they are still around that is.
Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

rosskesava

If the windows cannot be cleaned safely and in a practical manner, then they don't get cleaned. It's a simple as that.

Just chant..... Hare Krsna, Hare Krsna, Krsna Krsna, Hare Hare, Hare Rama, Hare Rama, Rama Rama, Hare Hare. It's beats chanting Tory Tory or Labour Labour.